Most Talented People in Metal

Thoth-Amon

Hypochondriac
Apr 4, 2006
So whom do you consider some of the most talented individuals in metal? One person who comes quickly to mind for me is Ihsahn. He is highly proficient on guitar, plays bass and keys, has a great black metal voice and a really good singing voice, he has great skills at arranging and conceptualizing music and most of all he's written some amazing music. The first two Emperor albums are classics of the genre and frankly they never released a bad album.
So who are some of your picks and why?

Kristian Niemann (Therion's guitar player). He's one of the most tasteful players in metal. Kind of like the David Gilmour of metal, in my opinion.

I'm in love with Wolfgang Schneider of Koyaanisqatsy. He's a brilliant composer and musician, I could listen to his work all day (and I do!)

It's definitely less edgy than most of the music I listen to, but it's emotional, epic and extremely passionately realized.

Hell yeah. I also think Russel Allen is a great vocalist. And I know this would be said sooner or later so...

John Petrucci

Although one thing that annoys me about Michael Romeo is in some of his solos he does some straight shredding and then starts fucking around (usually with the whammy bar).

Devin Townsend. Great guitarist, great songwriter and an absolutely spectacular fucking brilliant vocalist.

I'd rate Mikko Aspa as one of the highest. he may not play any instrument with particular proficiency and his vocals are hardly groundbreaking, but the sheer volume, variety and quality of what he produces every year is astounding.

Hell yeah. I also think Russel Allen is a great vocalist. And I know this would be said sooner or later so...

John Petrucci

Although one thing that annoys me about Michael Romeo is in some of his solos he does some straight shredding and then starts fucking around (usually with the whammy bar).

Symphony X and Dream Theater are two of my favorite bands, so I'm inclined to agree with you. Also, Mike Patton, the man can do so much, even though he hasn't done anything truly "metal" in a while.

There are tons, and have been tons...but I was listening to the latest Zero Hour today and continue to be floored by every fucking member of that band. Out of fucking control on their instruments. It's truly mind boggling.

I'm in love with Wolfgang Schneider of Koyaanisqatsy. He's a brilliant composer and musician, I could listen to his work all day (and I do!)

It's definitely less edgy than most of the music I listen to, but it's emotional, epic and extremely passionately realized.

Yeah, he is a genius composer.

I think every member of Dream Theater is pretty badass on their respective instruments. Actually I'll go as far as to say I think they are easily some of the most talented musicians ever.

Varg is pretty talented IMO. He may play and write simple as fuck material, but that simplicity makes for very good songs.

Chuck Schuldiner and Trey Azagthoth come to mind as well.

And x2 on whoever mentioned Quorthon.

I'm a big fan of vocalists so I have to add Mikael Akerfeldt and Christian Alvestam.

I'm a big fan of vocalists so I have to add Mikael Akerfeldt and Christian Alvestam.

Mikael is not only proficiant with his vocals, he is also a good guitarist and can write some interesting stuff. He just makes it longer than it has to be....

Opeth could easily one of my favorite bands if the songs were in the 4 to 5 minute range.