Most badass metalsinger?

Notuern

Bloody vaginal belch
Oct 20, 2007
So, who do you think is the most badass metalsinger?

I think that Phil Anselmo is no. 1.
Because he has such a sick range(4 octaves, not counting falsettos.), and if you listen to the record "Cowboys From Hell" you can hear everything from regular singing to falsettos, screams, growls etc. and he does it so damn perfect.
Of course his not that good anymore, but "in the good old days" i belive he was unbeatable.

My #1: the almighty Devin Townsend. Basically, everything you said about Phil Anselmo, except even more so. :p

Runners up in no particular order: Warrel Dane, Howard Johnson, Mikael Akerfeldt, Bjorn Strid, Mikael Stanne (he does occasionally sing), and Jens Kidman for his unholy howling monotone bellow.

Townsend is really good, although he doesnt have the same range of pitch as Phil does.
After listening some more to Townsend Ive come to the conclusion that he has a 3-octave range at most when not counting falsettos(Doesnt seem like completely 3 octaves).

Ps. if my sence of pitch isnt totally f-ed up i think Phil can reach 5 octaves(Sence he can go so insanely low as well as high.) with regular singing, and 6 with falsettos.

Akerfeldt, Halford, Nergal (the Polish accent adds so much to the awesomeness of his voice - "AHS A-POVE, SOO BELOW!!"), Anders on Clayman (where I think he peaked), Strid nowadays, etc.

Though if we change the adjective from "badass" to just "incredible," Daniel Gildenlow is king for me, as well as the aforementioned Kahn and Tony Kakko

Howard Jones Killswitch Engage
Christian Alvestam Scar Symmetry
Bjorn Strid Soilwork
Devin Townsend SYL
Chuck Billy Testament
Warrel Dane Nevermore
Ville Viljanen Mors Principium Est
Rob Halford Judas Priest

Bjorn Strid - Soilwork
Jamie Stewart - The Absence
Casey Sabol - Periphery
Adrián Barilari - Rata Blanca
Chris Clancy - Mutiny
Ville Viljanen - Mors Principium Est
Stian Tomt Thoresen - Dimmu Borgir
Petri Lindroos - Norther

Surprised nobody's mentioned Vintersorg yet. I agree with all others on the list except Anselmo, who these days has a range of maybe a perfect fifth on a good day.

I agree with a lot of those already mentioned, but also:

Robb Flynn
Chuck Billy
Jens Mortensen (Carnal Forge, although appearantly he's not in the band anymore)
Jared MacEachern (Sanctity, although appearantly he's not in the band anymore either, fuck!)

I guess "badass" makes me think of thrash guys. So sue me. Wait, don't.. that's the opposite of what I mean.

Devin, Speed, Akerfeldt, Simen Hestnæs, Chuck Bllly, Akerfeldt, Warrel Dane, James LaBrie, and Mikael Stanne are probably my ten favorites right now. Probably will have a few more and different tomorrow, though...

Jeff

Dio-INTsmall.jpg

So, who do you think is the most badass metalsinger?

I think that Phil Anselmo is no. 1.
Because he has such a sick range(4 octaves, not counting falsettos.), and if you listen to the record "Cowboys From Hell" you can hear everything from regular singing to falsettos, screams, growls etc. and he does it so damn perfect.
Of course his not that good anymore, but "in the good old days" i belive he was unbeatable.

Go back one album earlier to "Power Metal" (which seems like many people don't know about it) to hear an even wider range than "Cowboys". Got to see them in concert for this album. :)

+1 on Phil, Roy Khan, Rob Halford, and RJ Dio!!