Movie tread

You should look for two Icelandic films made in the 80ies. In Swedish they are called "Korpen Flyger" (The Raven Flies) and "Korpens Skugga" (Shadow Of The Raven). The translations are word for word from the Swedish titles, I don't know what they are actually called in English sadly...
Still, best damn Viking films I have ever seen.

i know! i think i've become an expert on viking movies, i've really done quite a research. :D Actually, there are 3 of them:
* Hrafninn Flýgur (1984) a.k.a. Revenge of the Barbarians, When the Raven Flies
* I Skugga Hrafnsins (1988) a.k.a. Shadow of the Raven
* Hviti Vikingurinn (1991) a.k.a. The White Viking

I have them all here on my desktop but i've never managed to find the subtitles in english to the second and the third ones. The ones i have are in swedish which are not so bad as i used to read Norwegian and can at least make out the sence of the sentence but then i will have to pause it after every sentence and that's no fun to watch :lol: So they just sit there, i've never seen them yet...

@ Lefay: i have seen Outlander too, and i strangely enjoyed it :oops::oops: not that i liked it, i just knew i have to watch it as a B or even C movie, not expecting anything... So that's why maybe it turned out to be not so bad after all. The worst film i've ever seen was that terrible Pathfinder!!! :puke:So i thought, while watching the Outlander: "nothing can be worse than the Pathfinder", so i guess that attitude helped :lol:

Right now there is Severed ways: the Norse Discovery of America on my list but the last time i checked there weren't any torrents yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
if i can give you two advices, try with beowulf and grendel, not the cartoon, the film with gerard butler, based on the beowulf poem, and the ring of the nibelungs, based on the nibelungenlied (well more or less), i think it's a german film.

oh i've forgotten to comment on that: i've seen them all, both Beowulf the cartoon and Beowulf and Grendel. I liked the cartoon a bit, and didn't like the other one at all :oops: Ring of the Nibelungs is the second favourite after the 13th warrior :D Kristanna Loken makes awesome valkyrie! ♥ the only downside of the film was Benno Fürmann as Siegfried, his face makes me wanna puke :ill:

@ Lefay: i have seen Outlander too, and i strangely enjoyed it :oops::oops: not that i liked it, i just knew i have to watch it as a B or even C movie, not expecting anything... So that's why maybe it turned out to be not so bad after all. The worst film i've ever seen was that terrible Pathfinder!!! :puke:So i thought, while watching the Outlander: "nothing can be worse than the Pathfinder", so i guess that attitude helped :lol:

"nothing can be worse than the Pathfinder" QUOTE OF THE DAY :lol:

i totally get what you say. compared to pathfinder it's a masterpiece :lol::lol::lol:
oh i've forgotten to comment on that: i've seen them all, both Beowulf the cartoon and Beowulf and Grendel. I liked the cartoon a bit, and didn't like the other one at all :oops: Ring of the Nibelungs is the second favourite after the 13th warrior :D Kristanna Loken makes awesome valkyrie! ♥ the only downside of the film was Benno Fürmann as Siegfried, his face makes me wanna puke :ill:

beowulf and grendel is really a slow film, but it's quite faithful to the story of the poem.
the ring of the nibelungs, that's my second favourite too (another thing we have in common, i'm starting to worry :lol:) she is really beautiful and he...well...let's not speculate about him.
he seems to have just escaped from a soap opera :ill:

i feel weird... o_O this kind of coincidences always stop me in my tracks and make me ponder about the Force / the Spirit / the Destiny etc etc ::
we were talking about The Cell the other day huh... It was made in 2000, so it's like 9 years old, and i have never seen it yet... not even heard of it i believe... Now, we got to talk about it this week and i wonder why i don't know anything of this movie... Imagine my shock when yesterday i saw a preview ad of The Cell on TV!!! they're showing it tomorrow on the dutch tv channel Net 5 at 22:25 :OMG: i feel i'm being watched or something... o_O

so i just watched The Cell on tv... ^

well, the movie "the Cell" isn't that great I feel...it was more the sceneries I liked and still do...but the story is quite predictable.

mr V

this movie is not about the story. The story is just there as a canvas/framework for the imagery art. One shouldn't look for the deep drama or philosophical meaning or complex character lines, it's all about the imagery! Salvador Dali meets MTV music video clip. After the first scene in the killer's mind i finally understood the choice of JLo as the main character...

I'm not sure if i liked the movie, but the camera work, direction, production and effects are certainly beyond impressive!! i wish we did a close study of this movie instead of the ones we were given, during my Broadcasting Technology minor at the college... It truly has some masterpiece shots! o_O

yesterday i've seen Into the wild.
it was a long time i would like to see that film and finally did.
it was an amazing film, even if i'm sure not everybody will think the same about this film.
it's long, and slow, and very silent in some moments, but really deep and poetic. i like the mix of present and past scenes that continues all the film long.
it's the story of a guy who leaves his family and escape from his future, his wealthy life, the lies and the expectations of his family, to go live on the road for about two years. there he finds friends, a REAL family (a family is where you feel at home), he meets new people from which he learns a lot, and to which he teaches a lot, he experiences new things and he grows up.
at the end he decides to go to alaska, to go into the wild, to understand the meaning of everything, life, happyness, truth, a lonely travel into the true meaning of things. he escapes from everything, from mankind and probably also from himself, he survives with anything, no conforts, no tv, just few books.
but in the end, when he decides to end this journey the ice has melted and he cannot cross the little river which has become a big rapid river. so he is not "alone into the wild" anymore, as he writes at the beginning of the film. he becomes trapped into the wild. he starts to finish the food, animals have migrated, so in desperation he eats some plants, but he gets intossicated and he slowly dies of starvation. in the end, before dying, he understand that "happyness is only when shared", as he writes in one of his books.
2 weeks after some hunters find his body, and his written memories.

edit: oh well sorry, it's impossibile to explain a such beautiful and profound film with my poor english :lol:

you did it fine! :) only... i guess i don't have to watch it anymore because you spoiled the storyline :p but it sure sounds interesting, i just get the feeling the beautiful movie was spoiled by the ending :( it could have ended in a more positive and poetic way, and now it sounds like the conclusion is that it was wrong from the start that he chose to go alone into the wild, or not? :rolleyes:

you did it fine! :) only... i guess i don't have to watch it anymore because you spoiled the storyline :p but it sure sounds interesting, i just get the feeling the beautiful movie was spoiled by the ending :( it could have ended in a more positive and poetic way, and now it sounds like the conclusion is that it was wrong from the start that he chose to go alone into the wild, or not? :rolleyes:

sorry....i didn't think about spoilering the whole thing. i never think about that because i usually want to know about what the film is before seeing it :oops:
it's a true story...so the conclusion is the one that really happened. no happy ending. it's a really sad film, but i think its beauty is in this too. you suffer together with the main character because when he catches the truth in the end, you know it's too late. but anyway there's partially an happy ending, 'cause he dies with a smile on his face. maybe the discovering of the truth itself brings happyness. it did move me a lot, and also the scenaries, with all this nature around, are really beautiful.

I'd say my favorite movie AND book would be Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas, absolutely phenomenal.

With movies, I have always been a huge fan of Terry Gilliam's work in general. Brazil, The Fisher King, 12 Monkeys...All weird mindfucks in a sense. Heath Ledger's last movie is a Gilliam flick as well, The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus, can't wait for it to come out!

uhm...fear and loathing is too much chaotic and senseless for my taste!
doctor parnassus seems to be really amazing from the trailer...im' looking forward to see it!

@lefay82: Yes, it's a great film, but you shouldn't have told how it ends. :Smug:
And allow me o disagree on some points.
1 - I don't think he finds a real family when he is into the wild. I think he never forgets his true family, although he wants to.
2 - He decides to go to Alaska in the beggining, I believe, not in the end. But he needs to prepare a few things first.
3 - I don't think he survives with anything and no comforts. I don't think he survives, I think he lives, and for me those are quite different concepts. And I also consider the bus as being a comfort in that situation.
4 - The intoxication thing is relative. Most people believe that it was just starvation and not intoxication like in the film. But in that way it looks better in the film, indeed.

@lefay82: Yes, it's a great film, but you shouldn't have told how it ends. :Smug:
And allow me o disagree on some points.
1 - I don't think he finds a real family when he is into the wild. I think he never forgets his true family, although he wants to.
2 - He decides to go to Alaska in the beggining, I believe, not in the end. But he needs to prepare a few things first.
3 - I don't think he survives with anything and no comforts. I don't think he survives, I think he lives, and for me those are quite different concepts. And I also consider the bus as being a comfort in that situation.
4 - The intoxication thing is relative. Most people believe that it was just starvation and not intoxication like in the film. But in that way it looks better in the film, indeed.

1. he doesn't find a family when he is into the wild, but when she meets the hippie couple and the girl with the guitar. that part of the story in fact has the title "family" (and i should say also when he finds that old man who wants to become his grandfather)
2. he decides in the middle of the journey i think, then he gets prepared. he goes in the south first, he travels a lot, then he finds a job in the countryside where he starts to learn things about hunting, guns, and how to prepare food.
3. yeah you're right. i used the wrong term. the magic bus is surely a confort, but still he refuses everything that we usually have in normal life, tv, phone, hot water, central heating, i should call them all conforts.
4. i don't know anything about the real story. i olny know what is told in the film and in its end, when it says it's a real story. after eating that plant he's not able anymore to eat and he starts to feel weeker day after day till death.

A well known guy killed himself here some weeks ago. He left a letter saying that 'Into the Wild' explains well his decision.

I saw a chilean action movie (alas bond), called Mandrill. It's the most unintentionally funny movie I've seen. To understand it well, it's necessary to speak spanish tho. OMC, it's the most cliché shit I've seen in my life.

I strongly recommend "Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead". It's fucking hilarious. Rob Zombie's 'The Superbeasto' is nice too.

Saw District 9 the other day. Not really my cup of tea (i love sci-fi, but this one was too uhm earthly to me :p) But it was extremely interesting from the professional point of view (3D, using hand-held camera, direction, postproduction, compositing etc). I guess i could have as well watched the "making of" then :) But it's fascinating how realistic everything looks! :eek:

The movie had all the way a reality-show/newsflash/documentary vibe so it was kinda deprived of all the Hollywood glossiness, which was great and refreshing. I just felt it was a bit too slow in the beginning...

Last edited by a moderator:
saw 2012 yesterday, easily the most spectacular movie i've ever seen!! o_O i've been biting on my nails of excitement while watching, the scenes of the extinction of the world were so damn fascinating and real! Of course you shouldn't pay too close attention to the script as the half of those scenarios are not even possible (as usual). If you can watch keeping that in mind then it's a great movie!
for me as a believer of the 2012 apocalypse, the thought of all these images happening for real in just three years was also pretty scary... :zombie:

OK.

Lord help me, I'm trying to watch Twilight.

The one redeeming feature? That it's set in Forks, Washington. Seriously. It's horrid, but I wanted to see what the hype was about.

for me as a believer of the 2012 apocalypse

If you really believe that crap, you're fucking crazy, sorry, there's just nothing else to say here. No sane person could actually BELIEVE that nonsense, there is no scientific proof of it whatsoever, come on.:S Get your head examined seriously.

And here, watch these three helpful videos:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD53pm2mTlg]Part 1[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxWwhz9bpQ]Part 2[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_wmBNuCx5c&feature=related]Part 3[/ame]

OK.

Lord help me, I'm trying to watch Twilight.

The one redeeming feature? That it's set in Forks, Washington. Seriously. It's horrid, but I wanted to see what the hype was about.

I fucking hate Twilight. I just saw Pandorum the other day which is an awesome movie (Ben Foster FTW!), but it's doing horribly at the box office.:S I don't think it's earned 20 million yet and it cost 40 million to make... and then I see the new Twilight movie earning a ton of cash no problem. It sickens me.:/

I fucking hate Twilight. I just saw Pandorum the other day which is an awesome movie (Ben Foster FTW!), but it's doing horribly at the box office.:S I don't think it's earned 20 million yet and it cost 40 million to make... and then I see the new Twilight movie earning a ton of cash no problem. It sickens me.:/

Word!

But right now, i`m waiting for "The Road" and "Zombieland" to be released in germany, trailer looking awesome!