Movie tread

I found it very good, the concept is great but it could have been shorter indeed. Di Caprio did a decent job this time, but the architect girl was awful. Ken Watanabe did an splendid job, as always.
exactly the concept was great but they rather trivialized it instead of making it food for thought. The architect girl was indeed awful, i think not only because she can't act but also because her character was quite underdeveloped. Towards the end i started to wonder what she was doing there at all... Looks like the whole purpose of her character was to show off some special effects, and to pull the trigger at the end, that's all :rolleyes:

Elvina, IMDB is turning very awful lately. On the past I saw the website as a reliable source of rating, but I dunno what happened that there are movies completely overrated - I gave it 8,5/10, 9 is too much. The top 100 is totally biased and full of snobism.
this particular movie was indeed extremely overrated. Personally i would give it 6.5/10. But i thought that usually the ratings reflected quite well how good a movie is... i haven't looked at top 100 though.

Now i've remembered what else i have seen recently:
It was rather cool to see an animation story "in real life". I thought it was rather well set, beautiful scenery, costumes and effects and such, but the acting was just plain awful!! I loved how they had done that flying beast though! :)

The Fourth Kind
with Milla Jovovich. It strucks me how often she plays in bad flicks... :rolleyes: And again, the IMDB gives this movie 6.0/10, which is completely off! The movie is quite bad, imo. I'd give it 4/10 at most. It's done in a way to make you believe it's actual real life footage that you see. And all the effects, camera work and production is quite well done and rather believable... It's the story what really makes this movie suck. It's so bland it almost makes you yawn when you are supposed to feel spooked, or at least intrigued. At times it was even laughable. Milla did a good job this time, i think she plays normal people much better than supergirls like in Ultraviolet and such.

I've seen tons of shit lately, but the lastest movie I saw was Black Swan. I don't like Portman as an actress, but here does a decent job. The direction makes this film succeed. Give it a try, the development of the plot gets weirder with each second.

I've seen tons of shit lately, but the lastest movie I saw was Black Swan. I don't like Portman as an actress, but here does a decent job. The direction makes this film succeed. Give it a try, the development of the plot gets weirder with each second.

I saw that too, liked it a lot.

I also saw the Back to the Future trilogy recently, which is great nostalgic fun, and I saw Donnie Darko for the thousandth time, blows my mind every time.

last week i saw A Christmas Carol (with Jim Carrey in 3D) which was meh, and The Golden Compas which made me wonder (as usual) why so much money and excellent work is being wasted on film adaptations of crappy stories while there are thousands of great fantasy books out there screaming to be filmed! :cry:

i also saw the latest Harry Potter some weeks ago, and found it awesome as usual! :D Very grim and grownup, nothing left of christmassy family movie stuff at all! Only that "erotic scene" made me go like "omg i'm getting really old" :lol: It's still weird to see those kids in such a scene, when it seems like yesterday that they were playing 11 year old children in Harry Potter 1 :D

Nice! Feel free to post them on the movie thread.

Took some time, but here goes (in no particular order):

Hellboy - Director's cut, 3 disc's
Nightmares in red, white and blue - Documentary about US horror films through the ages, hope it's as good as Final Cut and Tales from the Script
9 - The Tim Burton produced animation, have been dying to see this one since it came out, but haven't gotten round to it yet...
Bruce Campbell Collection - Alien Invation, Man with the Screaming Brain, Bubba Ho-Tep and My Name is Bruce. Hail to the king, baby!
Sauna - Finnish horror which I've heared some good words about, but don't really know anything.
Poltergeist - 25th anniversary edition. Classic stuff needed on the shelf.
American Werewolf In London - 21st anniversary edition. Haven't seen it, and am a bit curious.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The original, nicely restored and with a bunch of extras. Haven't seen this one either before...
Jaws - 30th anniversary edition. Same comment as Poltergeist.
Samurai Princess - Japan splatter. Found Tokyo Gore Police highly entertaining and twisted, so I have high hopes.
Klovn - Entire series collection. Danish semi-real comedy show, really funny. Have read it somewhat resembles Curb Your Enthusiasm, but haven't seen that one, so I can't compare
6 Stjernetegn - A collection of six Danish classic semi-erotic comedies.
Terry Pratchett's Going Postal - Special 2 disc edition. Loved the book, so I have high hopes for this one as well. Also it completes (for now) my Discworld film collection.
The Simpson's - 12th season. No explanation needed.

And, yeah... I think that was it. For now. ;)

I saw that too, liked it a lot.

I also saw the Back to the Future trilogy recently, which is great nostalgic fun, and I saw Donnie Darko for the thousandth time, blows my mind every time.

Haha Back to the Future is excellent, I love all of the movies. Kind of sad to see Mr Fox, but he has contributed a lot to finding a cure.

And, since you mentioned it, I saw Donnie Darko. Wow, brilliant movie. I really liked it, even if it's incredibly sad at times IMO (not in the mood for depressive movies right now hehe). But it's excellent, thanks for posting. BTW I love the soundtrack.

the_kings_speech_movie_poster.jpg

The King's Speech

Brilliant movie, I'm totally speechless. Colin Firth's acting is unparalleled, probably one of his best acting ever. You simply forget that you're watching a movie, and let yourself be absorbed by it. The historical importance (despite some inaccuracies) that this movie has is tremendous, since it'll tell the new and coming generations about the King that went into WWII against Germany. What is most important is that it'll show all that was behind… one, uncommonly important, speech.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been watching some of the christmas films I got.

Hellboy - Couldn't see what's different with the director's cut, but it's been a while since the first time I saw it. Same feeling as back then, Perlman was born to play Hellboy, good entertainment throughout and then the biggest anticlimax the world has ever seen with the final battle...

Nightmares in red, white and blue - Nice, well-built documentary where the only thing I lacked was the feeling of knowing why it was made...

9 - Very beautiful, gripping, lovely, must-see! What more can one ask for?

Sauna - Nice pictures, awesome atmosphere. Not much of a shocker, it's one of those which SLOWLY builds towards a great climax at the end. No pink, fuzzy Hollywood stuff here.

Samurai Princess - A bit of a let-down. Cute but anonymous girls, extremely annoying antagonist, extremely low budget. If it's J-splatter you're after, you're much better off with Tokyo Gore Police.

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal - Best Pratchett filmatisation to date, hands down! Probably the one with the biggest budget as well, this was quality stuff. Of course, a lot of things was missing which had been in the book, but they managed to pull the plot together ok anyway. Best part was the two main characters, especially the girl. To quote myself from Hellboy, she's been born for this part...

Have been watching some of the christmas films I got.

Hellboy - Couldn't see what's different with the director's cut, but it's been a while since the first time I saw it. Same feeling as back then, Perlman was born to play Hellboy, good entertainment throughout and then the biggest anticlimax the world has ever seen with the final battle...

Nightmares in red, white and blue - Nice, well-built documentary where the only thing I lacked was the feeling of knowing why it was made...

9 - Very beautiful, gripping, lovely, must-see! What more can one ask for?

Sauna - Nice pictures, awesome atmosphere. Not much of a shocker, it's one of those which SLOWLY builds towards a great climax at the end. No pink, fuzzy Hollywood stuff here.

Samurai Princess - A bit of a let-down. Cute but anonymous girls, extremely annoying antagonist, extremely low budget. If it's J-splatter you're after, you're much better off with Tokyo Gore Police.

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal - Best Pratchett filmatisation to date, hands down! Probably the one with the biggest budget as well, this was quality stuff. Of course, a lot of things was missing which had been in the book, but they managed to pull the plot together ok anyway. Best part was the two main characters, especially the girl. To quote myself from Hellboy, she's been born for this part...

I wonder why I haven't seen 9, it's gotten so many great reviews and comments.

I want to see "Låt den rätte komma in", apparently it's a great movie and one of the scariest to have been produced in a long time. (I'm sure it won't be scarier than "The Descent" hehe.)

Saw "The Social Network" yesterday. It's actually a great movie! The plot really grabs you from the start, and keeps you interested right until the end. I guess it might win the Oscar for best movie.
I also saw "Mary and Max" for the second time, love that movie.
Plus "Hereafter" by Clint Eastwood. What a fiasco, the movie starts great, but plummets after 45min or so. This a huge disappointment after "Gran Torino".

Plus "Hereafter" by Clint Eastwood. What a fiasco, the movie starts great, but plummets after 45min or so. This a huge disappointment after "Gran Torino".

I love Clint Eastwood and his movies, and im dying to see Hereafter, its so bad uh? ):
What's the problem with Gran torino? I saw it twice, its good, at least for me :lol:

Sigurðr;9621595 said:
I love Clint Eastwood and his movies, and im dying to see Hereafter, its so bad uh? ):
What's the problem with Gran torino? I saw it twice, its good, at least for me :lol:

Yeah I really didn't like Hereafter, not sure if I hate it hehe. The problem is that it starts in a very good way, then fails miserably. Quite a disappointment, I'm glad I didn't pay for the ticket.

No problem with Gran Torino, I really like that movie.

Yeah I really didn't like Hereafter, not sure if I hate it hehe. The problem is that it starts in a very good way, then fails miserably. Quite a disappointment, I'm glad I didn't pay for the ticket.

No problem with Gran Torino, I really like that movie.

Oh my bad, i made a wrong interpretation about what you said, for me you said that hereafter was a great disappointment after gran torino who also was a great disappointment. d'oh for me :lol:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played With Fire

Both are really good movies. I can't wait to watch the third movie in the series and then after that read the books.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played With Fire

Both are really good movies. I can't wait to watch the third movie in the series and then after that read the books.

Ah I haven't seen the second one, but I really liked the first.

Black Swan: Mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's a great movie. On the other, Perfect Blue is much better since it dwells a lot more on the psychological plane. Black Swan is way too sexual for my taste. Overall, Perfect Blue is better.