Music Sucks...

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
...Well, not really I guess. But I've been really disappointed by the state of music lately. Offhand I can't think of an album since Still Life that have loved all the way through, from start to finish. I know there are maybe two or three since then, but I am too lazy to remember at the moment.

My issue is this:

I have heard many bands in the last few years, some new, and some simply new albums from bands I already knew. Usually, I'll d/l an mp3 or two before I get an album, since it's usually too hard to wait until the album is released, so I like to get a small sample beforehand, like a teaser.

One case in particular: Novembre. I heard the song distances, and I can honestly say that it had the impact on me that Opeth songs do (well, not counting BWP, which I can't get into). So I went out and spent 30 dollars on the album. And you know what, the rest of the songs, at least to me, were just mediocre, and not even close to being as good as the song Distances. So, there went 30 dollars for one song, which, ironically enough, i already had on my computer in mp3 format..

This has been happening to me WAY too much lately. I am really disheartened about the state of music these days. However, I am not sure if it is the music, or if it is me, and expecting too much from my music. Well, that's all I have to say, just wondering if anyone can relate....

Originally posted by Till Fjalls
[B

(well, not counting BWP, which I can't get into).[/B]

Same here. BWP just doesn't effect me the way the rest do. That Porcupine guy is who I blame. I hate that part where he sings. Sounds so unopeth it hurts. The songs structures are unopeth too...the verse-chorus-verse thing gets to me. The lyrics are also the weakest ever (for Opeth). I hope the next albums are not like this one. Steve Wilson isn't gonna be producing them is he????

Don't get me started, aghhh

These Wendy's employees... They would be better off having the zoo animals take their jobs I swear. EVERYTIME I order "Hamburgers with ketchup and mustard only" I get fucking cheeseburgers with pickles hidden in there. So I take a bit and this nasty ass pickle surprises me and I tip the burger and ketchup slops all over my pants, then I had to stop eating because I almost puked it was so nasty tasting..

...Well, not really I guess. But I've been really disappointed by the state of music lately. Offhand I can't think of an album since Still Life that have loved all the way through, from start to finish. I know there are maybe two or three since then, but I am too lazy to remember at the moment.

Not sure how old you are, but this is not a revelation. Being 42 - I've been actively listening to music since I started playing piano at 5 - so about 37 years. In all those years, getting an album good from cover-to-cover has always been few and far between.

Most of my 400+ albums may have at tops 3 "great" songs on them - and the rest, as you put it, mediocre at best. I actually think music today is better than in the past, only because of the sheer number of acts out there today putting out albums, and the choices of music to listen to. It's amazing how so many crappy bands can actually get an album produced. And with all of those albums, there are many songs that are hidden treasures.

I don't search for albums - I have always searched for songs. So many of the 1500+ MP3's I have are those "one-hit" wonders: songs I like by bands that put out album crap. Getting a great album is gravy.

My issue is this:

I have heard many bands in the last few years, some new, and some simply new albums from bands I already knew. Usually, I'll d/l an mp3 or two before I get an album, since it's usually too hard to wait until the album is released, so I like to get a small sample beforehand, like a teaser.

One case in particular: Novembre. I heard the song distances, and I can honestly say that it had the impact on me that Opeth songs do (well, not counting BWP, which I can't get into). So I went out and spent 30 dollars on the album. And you know what, the rest of the songs, at least to me, were just mediocre, and not even close to being as good as the song Distances. So, there went 30 dollars for one song, which, ironically enough, i already had on my computer in mp3 format..

This has been happening to me WAY too much lately. I am really disheartened about the state of music these days. However, I am not sure if it is the music, or if it is me, and expecting too much from my music. Well, that's all I have to say, just wondering if anyone can relate....

Hehe well i agree Distances IS the highline of the album, however i wouldnt call the rest of the album mediocre ( maybe the fact that i didnt bought the cd before listening to all the songs helped, mp3s are a usefull tool go ahead and use it ). I pretty much agree with metalmancpa, ive only heard a few landmark albums that imho are a masterpiece on all tracks from start to finish, to name a few: MAYH and Still Life, The Gallery and Projector, Human ITP symbolic and TSOP ( the man was a genious !!! ) to name a few. But for the most part a good album concist of lets say 25% of the cd great songs and 25% of the cd ok songs. That means i usually enjoy and rate highly any cd of wich i like half of the songs, and i think my standarts are way higher ( maybe not as high as yours ) for that matter. It is damn hard to produce a masterpiece, let alone 8 to 12 masterpiece songs for a full cd and you gotta be gifted and/or very very lucky to do so. So you shoulndt take things too hard good music is a strange animal, it has been and it will always be.

Originally posted by warsofwinter
Weird . I just sent you an e-mail that touch's on that somewhat . Read it dude

Hmmm music today kills me . I haven't heard one new band that I like .. and alot of music from old bands that I used to like sucks (borknagar....)

hehe, good call there. That's one of the bands Ithat was on my mind when I wrote this. I'll check that email out now.

Metalmancpa: I understand what you say. Most albums aren't great all the way through. It just seems that these last two years or so, I hear a lot less great ones than I used to.

Trapped: It's odd, but you actually hit a good number of albums that were on my list of albums that kick ass all the way through. Add to that some Ulver, the Two Dissecton albums, and well, others I won't bother getting into.....

My issue is this:

Well, in a way yes, in a way no. I dont expect to like every single song off an album, a band should be putting so much variety and all their skills into their song writing that just because you like one song doesnt mean you will like any other songs on an album. So i only occasionally see a band come along that has an album full of songs i like, Opeth were one of those few bands for me personally, but for other people itll be a different band.

Also i find that broadening my range of music i listened to helps, because i dont expect metal bands to fill every hole i have... lately ive been listening to some samba and bossa nova, and its just been appropriate. But no metal i know of incorporates that kind of stuff and they shouldnt have to. So the point is just listen to the all the songs you like and youll see that there are more than enough awesome songs to get you through the day, just maybe not complete albums that suit you.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
So the point is just listen to the all the songs you like and youll see that there are more than enough awesome songs to get you through the day, just maybe not complete albums that suit you.

Wow, that might be the greatest philosophical musical quote ever! LOl....

I totally agree with the branching out thing too. I've gotten heavily into certain prog bands (not metal), some electronic and ambient stuff, and I have been searching relentlessly for avant-garde bands that sound different from everyone else. The always seem to have enough new, fresh ideas to make a nearly, if not comletely enjoyable album. Think arcturus.

The more I think about the situation, the more I realize that my problem is more personal. I am a pretty trusting person. That carries over into music too I guess. If I hear one great song from a band, I'll rush out and buy the album. Well, I did that for years, and it never seemed to fail. Maybe my luck has finally run out, haha. I've got to start being way more conservative or something.

The weird thing about most of this, as I just realized, is that I actually find a lot more unsigned bands (though I only get to hear a few songs by the, not full albums) these days that I like better than signed artists. Weird.:confused:

Thats what makes Opeth such a great band.... Most bands can't fill one album with kickass music...and Opeth has done five.

*cough*Asskisser*cough*

Blackwater Park blows. I hate the album :rolleyes:

You'll get over your asskissing stage in a few months, i garauntee. Opeth are great, but they aren't perfect.

I agree Tillman, there has been nothing worthwhile lately. Still Life and Nevermore's "The Politics Of Ecstasy" were the last albums to make me go "Holy fuck!! Thats good!!!". Everything else blows.

And i hate all these supposedly 'great' bands thesedays to metalheads, like katatonia, dark tranquillity, my dying bride.... man, they ALL blow more than BWP :lol:

The weird thing about most of this, as I just realized, is that I actually find a lot more unsigned bands (though I only get to hear a few songs by the, not full albums) these days that I like better than signed artists. Weird.:confused:
Then there is hope for the future! I think the best period for metal is still to come, its incorporating so many different styles these days, and the focus is more and more on creating a work of art, and theres less and less limitations and more people are growing up realising that good songwriting is more important than fast solos.