Musicians that alone slay Opeth

Thats fuckin awesome you plat the violin man... I actually JUST read (like 3 minutes ago) that a background in Violin is the best way to get a phenomenal legato style on guitar... apparently Allan Holdsworth started out on Violin...

Yea I don't know if Paco is as accomplished as Segovia... its just that I got into classical (other than hearing it occasionally on the radio) style guitar through hearing Friday Night in San Fran with McLaughlin and Di Meola by his side... and I'm sure you know its hard to recreate that awe-inspiring feeling when you first get exposed to something properly...

and I know he gets flamed a lot... and I'll admit he is the biggest dork ever... but Yngwie is a tremendous classical player... his acoustic stuff is jaw dropping... but once again unfrotunatly, he is going 3000 miles a second...

Hey Nairolf, can you list some less popular classical players... while I do listen to the big names and have some great compilations of no namers... im not as familiar with classical styling as I am with instrumental rock and Jazz... could you write down like 3 or 4 guys...

^ yea, that does make some sense - but most people who have perfect pitch also have relative pitch

i have some relative pitch - i can hear scale tones usually

scales, arpeggios are great for learning and starting up^:)

Stimuli said:
Thats fuckin awesome you plat the violin man... I actually JUST read (like 3 minutes ago) that a background in Violin is the best way to get a phenomenal legato style on guitar... apparently Allan Holdsworth started out on Violin...

Yea I don't know if Paco is as accomplished as Segovia... its just that I got into classical (other than hearing it occasionally on the radio) style guitar through hearing Friday Night in San Fran with McLaughlin and Di Meola by his side... and I'm sure you know its hard to recreate that awe-inspiring feeling when you first get exposed to something properly...

and I know he gets flamed a lot... and I'll admit he is the biggest dork ever... but Yngwie is a tremendous classical player... his acoustic stuff is jaw dropping... but once again unfrotunatly, he is going 3000 miles a second...

Hey Nairolf, can you list some less popular classical players... while I do listen to the big names and have some great compilations of no namers... im not as familiar with classical styling as I am with instrumental rock and Jazz... could you write down like 3 or 4 guys...

hey, ill posot a recording when i can but it takes a lot of practice to learn and perfect a piece, perhaps a caprice would be good.

Thats very interesting about legato guitar/violin connection. Perhaps its because of how utterly relaxed yet in control youh ave to be to bow th eviolin.

Wow thats brilliant about gettin ginto classical stuff. Unfortunately i don tknow many other guitarists, but there is john williams who is good, others i can vouch fo rbecause I'm not experienced enough (im actually new to classical guitar too) but i CAN recommend some violinists! if your interested but john williams is a good bet for guitarists but i have to say segovia is pretty damn good!

Hey you should check ou tthe bach chacconne (spelling?) form the 2nd violin partita, its beautiful and has been transcribed to guitar
BUT if its anything like the vilin its close to th ehardest piece ever :s

Malmsteen IS a dork and blah blah BUT he IS also very very good which ihate to admit! I downloaded a video called "arpeggios from hell" he's playing electric and he's going at light speed but its very clear and phenomenal, check tha tvideo out for electric stuff!

sorry i couldnt name some names for you but i can have a look, in fact i will!

julian bream

manuel barrueco

i had a look at some cds i have and they came up, theyre good

Hey Nairolf, do you know pain of salvation? It would be interestign what you think of the orchestra on their album "BE"...

HAHAHAHA Arpeggios From Hell is the first thing i ever heard from Yngwie...

Its fuckin cool... but it just unashamedley screams "LOOK AT ME!!!LOVE MY VIRTUOSITY AND ALL IT'S GLORY!!!"... but its true that when it comes to sheer mechanical technique, not many people can hold a candle to the swedish sensation...

hey thanks for those names, ill be sure to check them out. Ill check those violin pieces as well... where could I get them though??? Kazaa?

EDIT:pS. I'd love to hear you play

longinus: i havnt heard pain of salvation actually which is odd because ive been meaning to check them out but havnt got round to it...shall do though, and im rather intruiged now because i have heard good things

stimuli: Haha , so your reaction was the same to mine! Nice playing, shame about the attitiude. and at the end of the video he pretends his hand has picking hand has overheated when its all jsut sweeps and his LEFT hand should be hurting, he is such a drama queen!

hmm well im not sure about the violin pieces because they might not be on kazaa, i find limewire's better for these things though, if you have it?

Well I got to record, practice and SOMEHOW upload it but i dont really know how to and I cant use torrents so any advice from anyone would be great in uploading stuff

Looking for a Job... in sheer song quality and amazing ALBUMS...and all around mindblowing trippiness... then you are correct... ESPECIALLY about malmsteem...

Pseud0 said:
^ yes

relative - you can hear an interval in relation to a tonic
perfect - you can hear any note and instantly recognize its name

relative pitch is alot better. People with perfect pitch are notoriously anal about intonation and musical perfection. They'll complain about just about everything. They have a much harder time just enjoying the music, and instead have to disect each individual part. IN short, people with perfect pitch are incredibly annoying.

^not ALWAYS true BUT a very true observation! :D

they are very sensitive to intonation and thats fine, but they let EVERYONE know about it!

Jeff Buckley is boring and the only band that comes close to Opeth's riffy goodness is ISIS.

But that's just my opinion. Ever since getting into opeth, killswitch engage, nevermore, isis, poison the well... I can't listen to anything mellow. My radiohead cds have been collecting dust for some time.

^try nile and behemoth then. The destroy killswitch/nevermore etc. Take a bit of getting used to if you havn't ventured there but they're great

Stimuli said:
hey thanks for those names, ill be sure to check them out. Ill check those violin pieces as well... where could I get them though??? Kazaa?
you can get them easily through eMule

all debating aside... killswitch enage eats my poo... and poison the well eats killswitch engage's poo... which in turn, is also my poo... man they suck

EDIT: thanks for the info... what is eMule anyway???

Hey man, I love Pink Floyd... Pink Floyd is what made me stop listening to shitty music years ago and they have been my all time fav. band since... David Gilmour is the reason I picked up the guitar in the first place too... my room is covered in everything floydian, i have several books and i pretty much no all the most useless fanboy facts about the band... trust me, I am pretty ridiculous when it comes to liking floyd...

all that aside though, a better guitarist is a better guitarist... David Gilmour sounds fuckin amazing... no one has made simple notes from the pentatonic scale sound less like blues and more like flying through space... but David Gilmour is nowhere close to being one of the best guitarists... hes one of my personal fav's... but when it's all said and done, even my guitar instructor is better than Gilmour, its just noone would day it because he is gilmour...not just in shredability either... my instructors insane jazz phrasing is cooler than any gilmour solo...

thats one thing i hate about music... G/C/D progression from me is lame... G/C/D progression from Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Roger Waters becomes earth shattering genius...

i never doubted that david gilmour is far from being the best guitarist ever (technically) but hey, every lead he plays (well not every but quite a few) make me go all 'awwwwwwww...'.
especially his playing in shine on you crazy diamond is so uberawesome that it emotionally slays every vai-lead ever (imo that is...)