my dad likes opeth

I love Opeth and I am probably older than your father. I am a woman in my forties. My problem is that I would love to see Opeth when they are in Australia but feel too old to go. I feel that everyone will be looking at me wondering what I am doing there. Why can't oldies have good taste in music. I love metal!!!

My Dad who was a musician at an earlier point in his life is a very angry confused old man. He likes Sting and when I put sting on he asks me to turn of that garbage...so he's pretty fucked up, he also says everything I touch turns to shit.
My mom who has absolutely no connection with music quite likes damnation so does my 75 year old grandma.

Hedley Mortimer said:
I love Opeth and I am probably older than your father. I am a woman in my forties. My problem is that I would love to see Opeth when they are in Australia but feel too old to go. I feel that everyone will be looking at me wondering what I am doing there. Why can't oldies have good taste in music. I love metal!!!

Go to the concert ! Nobody will be looking at you wondering what your doing there. I have seen people much older than me at Opeth concerts and I'm 38 years old.

I saw Celtic Frost 21 years ago :D and they will play my home town in September.

:headbang:

My mom absolutely loves Opeth. We always listen to them in her car, and she's said several times that she thinks Mike's death growls are sexy. heh. She was almost as excited to see them in concert as I was, and I even made a Nevermore fan out of her. My dad likes Damnation, but isn't really into the real Opeth. In conclusion, my mom rules, and my dad sucks.

NoQuarter said:
I'm guessing it's more of the generation gap that kills someone 30+ not liking Growling/Death vox. They were so used to something different that they can't adjust.
Umm... Not true. I know a lot of people (mostly swedes) that are over 30 and like death metal. I'm 33 myself and I love listening to growling. But then again, I've been into death metal since around 1990.

RollMyCoaster13 said:
first time poster...

im 15 and i saw opeth in october at HoB chicago. i took a friend but my only way of getting there was for my dad to take us. To be honest, i think my dad is one of the coolest people out there. plus hes even an opeth fan, well the "non-satanic" stuff at least. i thought it was awesome. At the show, it was mostly comprised of heavier stuff. my friend and i were split off from my dad for a while. at the end, we met back up. he had this huge grin on his face and said "THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME! OPETH KICKS ASS!" hahaha that was one fucking awesome night...

do any of your parents like opeth too? if not, what are their reactions to the best band ever?:headbang:
My dad doesn't like growling. He says he loves the "musicianship" but he cant stand the singers. I think he likes Children of Bodom despite their yeow yeow, but that is probably one of the only ones he likes with growls.

He listens to Pagan's Mind, Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce, pretty much any good power metal... Dream Theater, stuff like that. And he's pushing 50 so yeah he's pretty badass.

He probably likes the Opeth mellow songs like Atonement and maybe Isolation Years.... Damnation is a bit TOO mellow for him though. He doesn't really like very mellow stuff. :/

My dad growls all the time mockingly at the band, but in time he has become very good. He can do vocals like Anaal Nathrakh and Dimmu Borgir.

Hi everyone, i'm a dad of 41 years old and i went to see Opeth on october in Montreal with my older son (17). I just want to tell you that metal is not reserved for youngsters, i've always listen metal and i always will whatever small thinking people can think about it! Opeth is not the only group i listen to: Neuraxis, Trivium, As i lay dying, All that remains, Slipknot, The Haunted, Chimaira, Soilwork, Arch enemy, Killswitch engage, etc... :headbang: :devil:

Stilgar said:
Umm... Not true. I know a lot of people (mostly swedes) that are over 30 and like death metal. I'm 33 myself and I love listening to growling. But then again, I've been into death metal since around 1990.

Haha.. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was referring to people in America that grew up on the rock of the 70's and 80's and couldn't adjust to DM vox. People in Sweden are possibly a little bit more open-minded. :headbang:

Maybe you should have said people over 35 or 40... you know, people younger than that but over 30 have been young when death metal was born.
Or should I say teenagers. They're still young, kind of.

NoQuarter said:
Haha.. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was referring to people in America that grew up on the rock of the 70's and 80's and couldn't adjust to DM vox. People in Sweden are possibly a little bit more open-minded. :headbang:
Hehe. Could be true. But I do know a few americans around my age that like death metal as well. One of the guys I visited for example ran out and bought Edge of Sanity's Crimson shortly after I visited him (I had brought a little CD collection with me to the states consisting of mostly death/doom metal).

And I do know a lot of swedes (most of them actually) that can't adjust to growling. But that seems to be about equally much for each age group, so to speak... So it doesn't seem to have too much to do with age. It probably has more to do with how much you've been polluted by MTV's view of "music". :loco:

My dad does enjoy opeth quite abit. He is a big blues/acoustic fan and he always wants me to put in Lamentations so he can see them play live. Although he isnt very fond of the death metal side of opeth he does respect it because it shows how different they can be. I love having him listen to a song like Godhead's Lament and watching his face when the clean vocals come in after all the growls.