my dad likes opeth

My mom likes Damnation. She's not really into the growls, though. My mother in law likes Damnation too, and she really doesn't mind any of the growls. She seems to believe she's heard heavier stuff back in 'her day', but she's pretty misguided in her assumptions, I think. As for the fathers, my father in law doesn't mind Damnation - he hasn't heard the harder stuff so I'm not sure how he would feel about it, and my dad likes...uh...Peter Frampton. I think that says enough.

scatterbrain said:
You know the funny thing is my dad is the one who got me into Opeth.

Not only that but Children of Bodom, Nile, Dark Tranquility, Cradle of Filth, Borknagar, Dream Theater, etc.

He has been to every Heavy Metal concert that has come to Melbourne.

The fortunate thing about having a dad that also likes Heavy Metal is that he buys most of the cds/dvds and he will willingly buy me Heavy Metal t-shirts.

I guess my dad is pretty cool.

:loco: sweet

Some of you have really cool dad´s.......mine is just fine with 60´s music oO
But from time to time he wants me to put my music in the car-cdplayer. Then he just acts weird, cause he thinks he looks cool to me then ^^

To me listening to music has nothing to do with being cool. If you're passionate about music, which I am, then that's all that matters.

So what that I'm 45 and I've taken my kids to so many metal concerts. It just so happens that I love metal, period, and can't see myself growing out of it. It's nice to take somebody along to a concert, and since my wife gets migraines due to loud sounds, concerts aren't necessarily her thing, so I ask the kids to go along. With me, they've each seen Opeth twice (both are going to Providence with me on Feb 25th), both saw Tool and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, my daughter saw Dimmu Borgir, my son went to Slayer with me, and all in all I've probably taken each kid to at least twenty concerts each over the years.

I'm most responsible for introducing my kids to music. My daughter loves music, and my son just enjoys it. They both like Opeth. My daughter absolutely loves Rhapsody & Luca Turilli. They've both said they each know nobody who really likes the type of music I do. Their loss.

ya, but tim listens to rap n shit, lol. he makes fun of opeth and any music i listen to; "RAAAAAHHHH.. I! LIKE! KICKING PUPPIES! I! LIKE! EATING PEOPLE!"
EDIT: also- he still hasnt heard bloodbath's "Eaten"

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Anyone who only likes Damnation is not a real fan of Opeth.

- true.

anyone who only likes one opeth album, regardless of which one it is,....is not a fan. Damnation is still undeniably Opeth, and it is a great album. And Opeth are all the better for having made it, as it shows how versatile they are...which accents the contrasts in nearly every Opeth song/album.

It's one of my favourites still.

Yeah, of course Damnation is still a great Opeth album, but the fact that it was such a big change from their usual stuff means anyone who only likes that does not like Opeth "normally" therefore, they are not a real fan.

Glad someone finally quoted that. I say you should at least like 2 albums to be considered a "fan".

- sounds like a point

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Yeah, of course Damnation is still a great Opeth album, but the fact that it was such a big change from their usual stuff means anyone who only likes that does not like Opeth "normally" therefore, they are not a real fan.

Glad someone finally quoted that. I say you should at least like 2 albums to be considered a "fan".

- sounds like a point

What about those who got into death metal because of damnation?
and no, I'm not bluffing...there are people like that

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Then those people need help... FAST.

They are misguided individuals. (Well, they have been guided to the right place but by the wrong teacher lmao)

- getting it?

So basicly you're calling everyone who came to love opeth from the progressive side rather than the metal side, a stupid fuck...

If that's the case I'll just wait a few years for you to grow your pubes...

paradoxile said:
So basicly you're calling everyone who came to love opeth from the progressive side rather than the metal side, a stupid fuck...

If that's the case I'll just wait a few years for you to grow your pubes...
WHAT? Jeez, you really take everything the wrong way, don't you? I was fucking kidding. You seem misguided...

- just shut up

Tubbs Mcgee said:
WHAT? Jeez, you really take everything the wrong way, don't you? I was fucking kidding. You seem misguided...

- just shut up
I was just wondering...are you too fat to fit in your locker?:D

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Was that supposed to be objectionable?
Not really...just looking for an excuse to beat you up...nothing to do with your weight by the way,I'm not exactly skinny myself but I'm fit and I was a drill sgt. in the Israeli Army so drop down and give me infinity...you maggot!!!!:yell:

I quite like you actually:Smug:

Oh... okay. :D Glad to see this argument folding!

Never didn't like you, I just hate arguments. Some of the arguments people make are fucking retarded and annoy me. Those people I don't like. (Yeah, there are a few people here in particular but I won't say their names.)

- the Isreali army sounds disciplined

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Oh... okay. :D Glad to see this argument folding!

Never didn't like you, I just hate arguments. Some of the arguments people make are fucking retarded and annoy me. Those people I don't like. (Yeah, there are a few people here in particular but I won't say their names.)

- the Isreali army sounds disciplined

The Israeli Army is obligatory for all 18 year old boys(3 years) and girls(2 years)...so most of the people are not very motivated...as yours truely, as for the paycheck...since it's obligatory they payed 70$ to 100$ a month.depends on where you serve.only those who sign for additional service get descent saleries.
still I was a drill sgt. in basic boot camp so most of my rookies were either destined to a brain duties like intelligence or comptuters or manpower.those were the smart and disciplined.but I also had the worst possible rookies...those who have problems at home,involved with drugs and so on and so on...I had a Rookie point a loaded M16 at me twice,had 2 rookies try to commit suicide(one cut his wrists and I found him in the showers and carried him to the infermery...he survived and was discharged from the army immedietly, the other guy had a loaded gun under his chin and was supposed to pull the trigger when he got to 100...at 97 I found him,jumped and closed the safety,he pulled the trigger(the gun didn't fire obviously) and I took the gun by force.
Eventually I asked to be transfered to desk duty and found myself in the duty I wanted to be in "Manpower" where I got to do my favorite thing...Yelling at officers for being fuckups! also got Batalion's Best soldier in the field of Manpower of 2003...was second runner up for regional excelence(those guys meet the president)...
that's about it...

Oh yeah... I remember reading something about that. Israel is like, the only country I know of that forces you to join the army. Not exactly a bad thing, but I bet many people hate that over there and some might have even gone insane or something. Then again, Israel has had a hell of a lot more history then the U.S. so I really wouldn't know.

- Story time story time!!!

N-MAYH said:
ya, but tim listens to rap n shit, lol. he makes fun of opeth and any music i listen to; "RAAAAAHHHH.. I! LIKE! KICKING PUPPIES! I! LIKE! EATING PEOPLE!"
EDIT: also- he still hasnt heard bloodbath's "Eaten"
Haha, hook him up.