my dad likes opeth

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Oh yeah... I remember reading something about that. Israel is like, the only country I know of that forces you to join the army. Not exactly a bad thing, but I bet many people hate that over there and some might have even gone insane or something. Then again, Israel has had a hell of a lot more history then the U.S. so I really wouldn't know.

- Story time story time!!!

It's the fact that they pay only 70$ a month for soldiers who put their life on the line and sleep 2-3 hours a night that pissed me off.
a fucking sweat shop:yuk:

-Vintersorg- said:
I had a feeling about Austria, as well as The Netherlands, but I'm not entirely sure so I left them out.
in austria there is an alternative to the "army"
(take care of older people, driving around with the ambulance,..)
Nitronium Blood said:
Does not being in the Army for a while toughen one up?

Or is that pure bullshit?
lol... not for me^^
at least physically i'm not tougher than before...
but when it comes to patience...

Wait, hang on... In all the countries listed, it's compulsory to join the army? Really? Wow, you learn something new every day...

Hey, wait a minute.... Stilgar says you have to join if you're in Sweden, right? So.... does that mean Mike and Peter were in the army, what with being Swedish and all? Sorry if that's in some way a dumb question, but I'm really curious about that....

tank said:
in austria there is an alternative to the "army"
(take care of older people, driving around with the ambulance,..)

Same in Germany, I think. If you choose one of these 'alternatives' though, the service is longer. Is the the case in österreich?

yes, in österreich/austria the "Zivildienst" (the alternative) was 12 month...

since 2006:
military: 6 month
zivildienst: 9 month i think

2005 and before:
military: 8 month
zivildienst: 12 month

i served in 2005 :erk:

in germany they have something like a shuffle function ^^
so not everyone is forced to serve... i dont know the percentage...

oh and only males are forced to serve... but females are allowed to serve since 1999 or something if they want (all of them suck lol) < in austria

in russia you have to serve 2 years or something hahaa^^

its not so much that americans r convinced as they have little choice. take for instance, a couple of my friends. he knocked her up and the only way he can support them is to go into the military. in the US, if all uve got is a hs diploma, u cant make much money, but go into the military and u get healthcare for life, housing as long as ure in, and theyll educate u if ure not too busy fighting. the reason the us has such a large army is b/c its everywhere, mostly due to the policies of the current administration. we r at war, its expected that our military should be rather large.

sorry to play the fatalist, but what if he is injured or dies and leaves her and the kid without a daddy? I see how it can look like a good option, but if there are other possibilities i don't see how anyone would sanely consider it.