my dad likes opeth

as long as he's in the marines, they get healthcare. if he dies, they get it for life. once he retires, things get a bit sticky. he can retire w/ part of his pension going to all of their healthcare. the kid is covered forever. the only way it isnt a good deal (besides the emotional issues if he dies) is if hes dishonorably discharged.

i guess i'm just an opponent to american military actions and what with the recent foreign and even domestic policy, there is no way in hell that i would ever enlist. i'd sooner move to canada, or back here to the uk.

yeah, this biggest problem w/ the american military is that every person in it is subject the whims of whatever corrupt millionaire the ppl have elected.

alienuth said:
yeah, this biggest problem w/ the american military is that every person in it is subject the whims of whatever corrupt millionaire the ppl have elected.

I want to know how do you vote in the states...do you vote for the a person or for the party for both?

I agree with you but Isn't there supposed to be some kind of political mechanism to restrist the president's authority(respect my authoriteeeeee><:yell: ) if there is don't tell me they are appointed by the president...that would suck testicles:confused:

The last thing you could do is criticise another country's politics, with ours being as fucked up and backwards as it is.

1. parties vote within themselves for who will represent them. these are then voted by the general public. you can vote for the party representative, or an independent runner (those these get maybe 1% or less of votes)

2. supposedly the president and his people are in the big office, but laws are made and passed by congress, and scrutinized by the supreme court. however, these balances have recently been manipulated so that the three groups work as a team (from one party or another) to get their way until the next election, where many things get reversed by the other party (since we have only 2 major ones, claiming opposition, though really they are a lot alike)

in short: it was a great idea on paper (Declaration & Constitution) but people have fucked it up.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Wait, hang on... In all the countries listed, it's compulsory to join the army? Really? Wow, you learn something new every day...

Hey, wait a minute.... Stilgar says you have to join if you're in Sweden, right? So.... does that mean Mike and Peter were in the army, what with being Swedish and all? Sorry if that's in some way a dumb question, but I'm really curious about that....
Most likely, yes. If you have medical reasons or are strongly against weapons and violence, you can do an alternative service though (helping out at hospitals, fire departments, etc).

If you totally refuse, you'll do jail time instead, like the swedish musician Joakim Thåström. He even wrote a song about that, called "Århundradets brott" ("Crime of the century").

Lately though, they've put a limit on how many are drafted into the army per year, so nowdays there's actually a chance you don't have to do it at all.

Stilgar said:
Most likely, yes. If you have medical reasons or are strongly against weapons and violence, you can do an alternative service though (helping out at hospitals, fire departments, etc).

If you totally refuse, you'll do jail time instead, like the swedish musician Joakim Thåström. He even wrote a song about that, called "Århundradets brott" ("Crime of the century").

Lately though, they've put a limit on how many are drafted into the army per year, so nowdays there's actually a chance you don't have to do it at all.

Wow... I've just learned something on my Sunday morning...

I know that Korea is full on the conscription thing... I remember watching a doco about these teenage girls who were making a petition to keep a popstar from entering the army

I don't think Aus has had Cons since the Vietnam war, and even then I think most people went to gaol rather than go to war

Frosties said:
The last thing you could do is criticise another country's politics, with ours being as fucked up and backwards as it is.

In a country that claims to be an enlightened Democracy there should be a body that restricts the president authority incase he/she tries to invade some country with no appearent reason.

I never said our politcs are perfect.Our politics are shit...and we do have quite a lot of problems in the region...considering the fact that we have enemies whose only goal is our exticntion and the fact that we don't have a separation between church and state,our polititians don't have many choices.

My dad hates music he cant understand the lyrics to. Like opeth or meshuggah. I like both though.

paradoxile said:
In a country that claims to be an enlightened Democracy there should be a body that restricts the president authority incase he/she tries to invade some country with no appearent reason.

Pfft, what are the chances that that president would invade such a country, without taking into acount the rest of the country? No....... wait.....
paradoxile said:
I never said our politcs are perfect.Our politics are shit...and we do have quite a lot of problems in the region...considering the fact that we have enemies whose only goal is our exticntion and the fact that we don't have a separation between church and state,our polititians don't have many choices.

Well, it's strange that WE don't have seperation of church (or, I guess, synagogue) and state, yet other leaders of so-called 100% democratic countries take their orders straight from God.

Looks like the states are almost as bad as we are:loco:

paradoxile said:

there is. the war powers act of i think it was 1972, somewhere around there anyway, states that after ordering troops somewhere, congress has to declare war within 30 days or the president has to pull the troops out. plus, theres the presidential censure in which congress chastises the president for doing something bad and impeachment, in which the president is thrown out of office. but the president has to do something really really bad for that to happen and then congress has to be dominated by the opposite party.

and technically, we're not a democracy, we're a republic.:)

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Ahh America! (The most retarded country ever.)

- that's all I got to say about that

Pssssssssttttttt...... You might notice this is getting off-topic, people! :mad:

There are probably some troops in Iraq who listen to Opeth...
better?:D

Well, the UK government isn't really all that much better. I think that the way the whole system works here is, comparatively, quite good. But as usual, people have fucked it up. Out Prime Minister took us into a war that the majority of people didn't want to become a part of. A war that wasn't even our countries issue.
And our chancellor is even worse... the UK has a national pension fund. Everybody who works pays into 'national insurance', and that way when they retire they can be guarenteed a state pension. But our chancellor basically raped the national insurance fund to make it look like the government had enough money to pay for the things it promised. So now, people that have spent 30-40 years paying into a pension fund are getting jack shit. It's just theft, and it's wrong.

Sorry, I just think politics is fucked up everywhere. Here is no exception. Rant over :)

Start saving your pennies, your kronor, your dinar, your yen!

Let's buy an island and rock to Opeth 24/7 and give the middle finger to politics. I'll bring the rum & surfboards.