NEVERMORE

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Please post all questions, comments & anything related to this artist here.

Dead Heart In A Dead World / Enemies Of Reality (Remix) / This Godless Endeavour

nevermore_dead.jpg
nevermore_enemies.jpg
nevermore_godless.jpg

The first rack tom mic is either a sennheiser MD509 or BF509 or E609... (I don't think it's a e606 or e906)

the floortom looks like a 421 with an alternative clip. the first tom must be a 609. the snaremic looks like a condesor, i would guess by electrovoice or audio technica. at least i'm glad for andy the drummer had his hihat that far from the snare!

funny fact: i had never heard nevermore but came into a friends house a few years back, within 1 second i heard that is was an andy sneap production.

QUESTION

What what's going on during the last chorus in Medicated Nation (TGE)? How many vocal tracks is that? Chorus? Distortion?

It sounds fucking badass.

Now slap your vein
I’m the power of pain and pleasure symbiotic, I am, I am
In a medicated nation of blind neurotics, I am, I am
Psychotic pain baptized in pure narcotics, I am, I am

i doubt that anyone but mr. sneap can answer this but does anyone know what kind of acoustics were used on TGE, and if andy does happen to answer(pretty please:headbang: ) What kind of mics were used and the placement.

Jeff told me that when Andy got the files for Enemies of Reality, there were actually some files missing, so Warrel had to retrack a few vocal parts in Seattle and send those Andy's way.

So is Kelly Gray a big producer/engineer or whatever? I remember a post from James Murphy saying that he got to hear some of the material as andy worked on it and there was lots of clipping in the vocal tracks.

The snare on the pic posted up here is a 6.5'' deep snare or a 5.5''?
Is it just me or to have a good fat acdc/appetite for destruction/sneap kind of sound you have to record a 6.5 snare?
With a 5.5 tuning the top tight and the bottom loose (or viceversa) I can't get a very fat tone as I like.

So is Kelly Gray a big producer/engineer or whatever? I remember a post from James Murphy saying that he got to hear some of the material as andy worked on it and there was lots of clipping in the vocal tracks.

Kelly Gray used to be in Queensryche. IIRC, Nevermore went to him 'cause Century Media didn't give them a big budget for the album, and he was comparatively cheap and local.

I'm sure there's tons of clipping all over the vocal tracks. That was one of the first things I noticed when I got the album originally, how distorted the vocals were.

Kelly Gray used to be in Queensryche. IIRC, Nevermore went to him 'cause Century Media didn't give them a big budget for the album, and he was comparatively cheap and local.

I'm sure there's tons of clipping all over the vocal tracks. That was one of the first things I noticed when I got the album originally, how distorted the vocals were.

If i remember right, he was a pop producer. I see the same thing around my area with the local bands. 99% of the studios don't do metal but when they do, similar results happen.

This annoys me so i'm going to ask, but how many people refused to listen to EOR because of the production? That's such a petty thing, i think that album is so underrated because of that. It's not THAT bad, I mean the self titled disc sounded worse before the remaster. and DNB has some pronounced low frequencies that annoy the hell out of me. but i'd never say that the music sucks because i didn't like an aspect of the recording. I've listen to way worse sounding discs too, The early Testament stuff sounded like ass, but that never kept me from enjoying it. And i really hate that Krank sound and think the guitars on DHIADW sound better than TGE ( I'm a die hard Boogie lover). but i still think TGE kicks some amazing ass and is a phenominal record.:headbang:

If i remember right, he was a pop producer. I see the same thing around my area with the local bands. 99% of the studios don't do metal but when they do, similar results happen.

This annoys me so i'm going to ask, but how many people refused to listen to EOR because of the production? That's such a petty thing, i think that album is so underrated because of that.

I'm unfortunately familiar with this phenomenon. :( If you happen to be Jim formerly from the band Where She Wept, this is Eric from Heather's old band, and you know why I'm familiar with this! (Spending a ton of cash in the Goo Goo Dolls' studio, only to come out with something that sounds worse than my basement demos...)

I got EOR when it first came out, not knowing anything about the production. It's not great; there's a ton of clipping, and the drums sound terrible- I'm talking the original mix, of course- but the songs are cool, and I actually liked the rhythm tones. They sound like a Recto. I've heard pretty similar tones in person. That's what they really sound like, so I see no need to complain. There's plenty of stuff that's worse, sonically. Slayer's Divine Intervention comes to mind immediately. And for what it's worth, I agree about the guitars on Dead Heart.