NEVERMORE

If i remember right, he was a pop producer. I see the same thing around my area with the local bands. 99% of the studios don't do metal but when they do, similar results happen.

The type of music has absolutely nothing to do with good recording techniques. Clipping is clipping whether it's David Vincent's vocals or Christina Aguilera's. What studio doesn't "do metal"? Studios that turn away clients based on what music they perform will tank.

Saying that Testament's early albums sound shitty is kinda nutty too, considering they were done in the 80's. I mean, the guitars always sounded a little weak, but that didn't stop the band from getting the point across with the songs. There were lots of records that sounded worse back then.

EOR is a very underrated album. The solo in the title track is one of the greatest metal leads of all time, imho. Jim gave me a copy of the remixed album, and he stressed that it was the new "mixed by Sneap" version. I love it.

When I am in the camera eye
Self immolation
Will never purify!!!

Question about Insignificant on Dead Heart in a Dead World; I was wondering if anyone knows what effect is being used on the guitars around 2:30, and if so, perhaps exactly which pedal/effects unit is being used.

I'm unfortunately familiar with this phenomenon. :( If you happen to be Jim formerly from the band Where She Wept, this is Eric from Heather's old band, and you know why I'm familiar with this! (Spending a ton of cash in the Goo Goo Dolls' studio, only to come out with something that sounds worse than my basement demos...)

I got EOR when it first came out, not knowing anything about the production. It's not great; there's a ton of clipping, and the drums sound terrible- I'm talking the original mix, of course- but the songs are cool, and I actually liked the rhythm tones. They sound like a Recto. I've heard pretty similar tones in person. That's what they really sound like, so I see no need to complain. There's plenty of stuff that's worse, sonically. Slayer's Divine Intervention comes to mind immediately. And for what it's worth, I agree about the guitars on Dead Heart.

Holy shit, Eric. long time no see. I remember you saying you were on this forum too. Pm your email or phone and lemme know what you've been up to.
talk about old times i think my eyeballs poped out of my skull when heather told me how much was spent on that recording.

OT, but this reminds of the worst moment of my musical career. Back when i played the Music is Art fest with you, and i couldn't figure out how to turn the reverb off on that Mesa Lonestar combo (bastards hid the footswitch). and i'm sitting there flicking the reverb switch and cursing it repeatedly for not working the first 500 times, i hear a faint voice go "ok guys lets go". i looked at heather and said "HUH?" and the drummer counted off and we all started playing. Well i couldn't hear myself at all and halfway thru the 1st song i looked over at you and realized i was playing the wrong song :erk: while we were being Broadcast like on the radio! my buddy was listening to the station and told me the feed was so bad they cut it off. :saint:

That's a shame, WSW - I would have just proclaimed it a progressive masterpiece and blamed the audience and media outlets for not having a deep enough understanding of modern counterpoint to appreciate it.

Jeff

are there any threads or stickys discussing the amazing guitar production on any nevermore albums namely "this godless endeavour"

i think personally that the guitars sound the best andy has ever done on TGE. it is a close call at least between that and any of the arch enemy recordings. that is my opinion however, i just think that tracking a 7 string and just making it sound stupid heavy and clear is something that hadn't been done with that much accuracy and clarity before. don't tell me meshuggah either. jeff loomis in any interview i've read about "this godless..." allways attributes andy sneap to his "huge sound"

i'm pretty sure he mics everything with one sm57. anyone know any tricks or mic placement or anything that can help me. i have a mesa road king head so i can get close to that tone. it may not be krank (i'm not the biggest krank fan anyway, though i will admit they have great metal tones) but it is in the same region.

" just think that tracking a 7 string and just making it sound stupid heavy and clear is something that hadn't been done with that much accuracy and clarity before."

not to talk any shit about andy's mixes, but check out cannibal corpse - bloodthirst and the wretched spawn for some killer 7 string guitar sounds with amazing clarity given the insanity of their music. bloodthirst is more crisp, whereas TWS has more of a wall of sound approach, still you can hear everything amazingly well.

i didn't say all 7 string mixes suck. ive heard a lot of crisp stuff just in my taste i prefer how nevermore is tracked. even mushuggah guys who tune to like friggin Z if its possible is clear. i just love the way the nevermore sounds...

if someone could help it'd be greatly appreciated.

yeah, sure, i also really enjoy the nevermore guitar sound (DHIADW moreso than TGE, though, but then again, both are great sounding, it's just a matter of taste really).

try searching this forum, iirc the settings and setup used for DHIADW should be posted somewhere. IIRC, it was a racktifier boosted with a ts 9 (level noon, gain 9 o'clock, tone 10 o'clock, that's kinda one of the key aspects of andy's rectifier tone btw, i suggest you try that in front of your road king), the amp settings were something like treble and bass almost noon, gain slightly past noon, mids 10 o'clock.....and i think it was a marshall 1960B cab loaded with celestion 75w speakers....pretty basic setup all in all.
for DHIADW, it was 4 tracks of that setup, 2 panned hard left/right, the other 2 at 80% left/right.
for TGE, it was two tracks of dual recto (probably the same amp as on DHIADW) mixed with two tracks of the krank revolution. dunno about the settings, though.
i remember that for TGE, both amps were recorded using a mesa rectifier cab....the latest arch enemy features the same amp setup btw, but there it was recitifer into mesa cab and krank into krank cab IIRC.

hope this helps some, that's just from the top of my head really...

wow this place rocks so much info. if you could find a post i tried a search with no avail and didnt find anything. maybe more help. the more the merrier. maybe someone knows andy posted pics somewhere or something? i'm not as concerned in amp settings as i am mic settings because i like how it was tracked. i have my own tone but i want it to sound as big.... and as crisp

quiestion though in general about ibanez tube screamers....

you said he used the ts9. do you know if andy uses the stock ts9's or a modded one. i was thinking about picking up a keely modded one.

Don't forget about the ears. Its' like the cliche'd van halen story. if anyone of us sat down at Backstage, used all of Andy's gear, even copied his techniques. it wouldn't sound like an "Andy Sneap" mix. Eveyone has their own distinct sound.

Hey guys long time no see .....

Anyway some questions regading TGE that we are insterested in knowing ....

As far as amps, how much Krank was used? Was it a 50 / 50 mix 2 tracks recto 2 tracks Krank, with the standard sneap 100/80 panning setup ?

As for the acoustics what was used and how were they miced?

And finally, can we get a hold of those lead settings for the pox xt?

Thanks
Da Fukn Guru

It's really hard for me to say which album production I like best, honestly.
I can't really compare them. When I try to think of X album with production from, or compared to another album; I can't even imagine the songs giving me the same feeling while listening to them.
I think that might even be more of a testament to Andy's mixing abilities based on the feel of the songs.
For instance, I personally think the mix of TGE, being slightly 'dryer' in the guitar tone, a little bit less bass drum and low/mid-bass guitar than on previous album, and some boosted bass guitar; gives the whole album a really distinct sound that wouldn't be suitable for an album like EOR remix or DHIADW.
A lot of this I feel can be attributed to the instrumentation and songwriting.
With the guitars, there seemed to be a lot more leads and melodies within the verses and choruses than there has been in the past; thus you'd probably want to take some emphasis off the low end of the guitar to let the other guitar part be just as present. I also noticed that Jim had probably even more standout parts and backbone than he has had in previous albums, and Andy may have made a decision to let the low end ride on him a little more, even when the low B on the guitar is in use.
I mean stylistically, the songs are quite different than on past albums, but still distinctively and unmistakably Nevermore.
I guess to get a feel for what I'm trying to convey I should give some examples:
For instance, could you imagine hearing the guitars in the interlude/bridge in "Sell My Heart for Stones" where Jim is doing a bit of bass-work prior to Warrel singing "I will lay in the" blah blah blah...with the bottom end tone of the verse from "I, Voyager"? To me it would seem to be completely uncalled for.
The guitars' low tone on TGE seems to be oriented to "the 7th string is definitely there but not over-powering", while on EOR remix or Dead Heart, there's so many ridiculously heavy riffs on the 7th string that the tone they call for is "this riff is going to fucking knock your ass out and pound you into the god damned ground".
I guess this is the best way I can describe it.

As far as the bad production on the original EOR recording, I don't like it for the most part, and the drums sound HORRIBLE in my opinion; but there are parts I do like about it more than the remix.
Most notably, after the intro to "Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday" and the drums fill cues in the guitar, the way Jeff's clean tone rings out on those first few notes is such an incredible sound. I prefer it a million times more on the original mix than the remix.
I've also noticed some vocal subtleties on the original mix that I hadn't heard on the remix (which I listen to most of the time). I found myself saying "oh wow there was a chorus or overdubbing or something on that phrase?" while listening to the original mix the other day. I was rather surprised I heard it given how distorted and clipped the vocals were on most of it.

Now, comparing the "bad" production from DNB to the original EOR mix, I think the tone absolutely makes the entire ambiance/feel of the album for DNB rather than takes away from it like with EOR.
Given the lyrical content, the album title, the cover, the use of a ton of chromatics and diminished stuff in the songs with the guitars; I think the droning, edgy, grainy, full-of-mid tone is absolutely perfect for the album.
With all of the albums elements combined with the tone, that album gives you the most bleak, sinister, dreary, harrowing feelings ever. I mean listen to the last few chords on "The Death of Passion". The palm mutes with wayyy too much lo/midrange make it sound like the guitars are going to explode with frustration or something. On any other album or from anyone else, I'd say "they seriously used that piece of shit for a final mix?", but given the context of everything else on that album; it's perfect.
Maybe it's just me, but listening to that album gives me such a feeling of hopelessness. If black metal is the soundtrack to hell, then this album has to be the soundtrack to purgatory.
God you'd think I was writing a negative review of this album huh :lol:
I mean all of the above in the most positive way possible.
My only gripe about the production is simply the bass drum. All click, no low. At all. If you've ever listened to this album on a stereo with a great subwoofer, you'll find that the floor tom is louder than shit (and sounds great), and the bass drum has ZERO "umph" behind it. Nothing. It's ENTIRELY treble/click.

God damn I've typed this much?
If you actually read that, then I thank you. I'm just bored off my ass and let my thoughts and feelings about these albums come out through my fingers. Even if one wasn't done by Andy.