New Fan Of DT....Need Album Suggestions

hello nad. :wave: i'd suggest you download a few other tracks from damage done (white noise/black silence, the treason wall, single part of two) then one from haven and one from projector, respectively the album before dd and the one even before that. i'd go with indifferent suns and nether novas but opinions do vary a lot, everyone's gonna tell you something different.

rahvin.

@NAD: welcome. :D i think you should try to download these tracks: "Cathode Ray Sunshine", "The Treason Wall", "Hours Passed in Exile" (from Damage Done) and "The Wonders at your Feet", "Rundown", "At Loss for Words" (from Haven). you won't be disappointed. btw, i like your signature. :D

Miolo

I started with Damage Done. I think it's a great place to start because it combines the old-style melodic riffage and thrash with the newer keyboard textures and catchy song structures. It's got everything except clean vocals, which appear pretty much only on Projector. For me it was cool to get into Damage Done and got through their back catalogue and see how they got there.

Just wanted to say that nearly 4 months later I finally ordered my first DT, Damage Done. :)

"Go for The Gallery, and Skydancer (as a side note I dont perticularily like Skydancer).

Nick" Can't you read ?? he said Arch Enemy, Soilwork, In flames...

In my opinion, you'll like Haven and Projector better.

Dmanx Pit said:
Insanity's Cresendo got me into them. Can't go wrong with anything of the album "Projector" as an introduction to the band., though. I recommend "Freecard" and "The Sun Fires Blanks".

1) The Gallery (the best ever);
2) Skydancer (Vocals: Anders Friden (Inflames) & Michael Stanne (backing vocals);
3) The mind's I (I like it all but you should buy it at least because of "Insanity's crescendo" and "The mind's eye";
4) Projector: the latest masterpiece, nothing else to say.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the latest two albums. Haven it's similar to Projector but not as great as that one, Damage is done is like to be an unsuccesfull attempt to go back to the origins...

Dark_Jester said:
Rahvin: Bollocks, I've made orders in excess of £50 and they said get your own frikkin tea :cry:
you're from australia. you are to be treated very roughly. but an order in excess of £200, and you'll be the happiest guy in the neighbourhood when a kangaroo will enthusiastically rap on your door.

I don't want to seem like the asshole of this board-but seriously-not even trying to be true metal here- "Skydancer" or the previous material. I think the songs "Unfurled by Dawn" and "Yesterworld" off that 7" are my 2 favorite "melodeath" songs ever. Skydancer is an entity to itself. No one will ever make an album that sounds like it. Detonation's "An Epic Defiance" was a clone of "The Gallery"-but no band has ever reproduced "Skydancer". It is impossible. I spent my youth writing songs around that album. You can get close-but its the combined effort and passion you can't reproduce. Mind you, all of them were around 17 when they wrote that album. They have become better musicians and "Easier to listen to" for the majority (You can't blame them)-but for what I look for in great melodic death - "Skydancer" will always bring me. Not to mention-as far as lyrics- no one on this board will argue that the lyrics on skydancer aren't the best of all the albums-except maybe dark tranquillity themselves who may claim "we were young and trying to do some sort of Byron and Poe combination mixed with chaos theory and mythology..."-that's fine. A Wise man once said, "Trust the material, not the artist."

Reactions: Siren
@skywards: i totally agree with your opinion about skydancer. there is really no reason except good old understatement to label skydancer's lyrics anything else but "absolutely brilliant and unheard of in the metal scene". i think the album was revolutionary in nature and the best thing to have happened to mankind after the end of the ice age.
and if you don't want that job as asshole of this board i'd be happy to take it. ;)