New Fan Of DT....Need Album Suggestions

I've really been getting into DT ALOT lately. I've found I can't get "The Wonders at Your Feet" out of my head. Needless to say, "Haven" is my favorite DT album thus far. I also own "Damage Done", "Projector", "The Mind's I" and "Skydancer/Of Chaos and Eternal Night." I am more partial to the newer albums since they have a more thrashy feel to them. (Overkill is my all-time favorite band, and I love Testament and old Megadeth). What other DT albums have the thrashier feel to them?? I was going to buy "The Gallery" tonight, but I opted for the new Exodus "Tempo of the Damned" cd.

rahvin said:
have to admit the gallery doesn't really have a thrashy feeling to it, so you're probably ok with the new exodus. is it any good, btw?
Ordered it online, so I won't know until early next week. Several people on the Overkill board have been raving about it and I trust their judgement. I'm hoping it's more along the line of Fabulous Disaster then Force of Habit. I will let ya know what I think of it after a couple listens.

Is Gallery more along the lines of Skydancer or Projector??

EvilDeadGod said:
Yes, I am new fan....I listened to Bodom,In Flames, Arch Enemy, Soilwork(why I haven't listened to DT up till now, I do not know). The other day I was on Kazaa and was interested in hearing Dark Tranquility, so I downloaded "ThereIn" and was blown away:yow:..Im into fast-melodic death and slow somber tunes...
Any Suggestions??? :headbang:
Yes. Find a time machine and go back to the 90s since most bands are too different or plain crap nowdays.

would anyone care to suggest a wumpscut album?

I´ve had some mp3s lying around for some time and I like the catchy yet somewhat aggressive stuff, for example christfuck. some of the more atmosphere-based stuff is nice as well, but I don´t think I´d want an entire album of it...

Delirious said:
would anyone care to suggest a wumpscut album?

I´ve had some mp3s lying around for some time and I like the catchy yet somewhat aggressive stuff, for example christfuck. some of the more atmosphere-based stuff is nice as well, but I don´t think I´d want an entire album of it...
then you're probably better off with totmacher: highest concentration of aggressive stuff.

I have limited cash, otherwise I'd buy all of DT's albums, but I wanna know which I should get first... Can someone just give me a basic description of the style of each of their albums?

Basic descriptions of DT-albums:

1. Skydancer (1993): The band's debut with 9 rather long, epic songs in the best Swedish melodic death metal tradition. Complex song-structures with multiple tempo-changes and very little repetition. A good balance between brutality and melodic beauty - the latter occasionally based on acoustic guitars and clean singing (both male and female). The weak points of the album are the thin production and relatively poor vocals (by Anders Friden, later the vocalist of In Flames). Also, it isn't an album that opens up on the first listen, so you better have some spare time when you buy it. It is nowadays available with the songs from the "Of Chaos and Eternal Night" MCD (1995) as a bonus on the same CD - the 3 new songs from OCaEN are more in the style of their following album, The Gallery, plus there's a remake of the last Skydancer-song with new vocals.

2. The Gallery (1995): The breakthrough-album that raised the band from the underground to the forefront of the metal-elite. Still hailed by many as the band's best album, a true classic of the "Gothenburg-style". The same elements that were already present on Skydancer are here (although the male clean vocals are almost nonexistent), but no more are the subtle nyances shrouded amidst the complex compositions - now everything is at the forefront, thanks for the major part to the improved production. Guitar-driven technical melodic death-metal, with lots of hooks in all the songs. My personal favorite, but it has to be said that some people find this one too "easy" and not deep enough for repeated listenings.

3. The Mind's I (1997): A step towards even more compact song-writing and shorter, thrashier songs. Possibly the most brutal of all DT-albums. Has a rather uneven mixture of songs, ranging from the lighting-fast opener to the soothing closing-track. Might not be so easy to get to, but a classic in it's own right, nevertheless. The MCD "Enter Suicidal Angels" (1996) has one song from the album, plus three extra-songs, one of which is a crappy techno-remix.

4. Projector (1999): The most controversial album from the band. A slower, more melancholic album with some gothic touches here and there. Divided the band's fanbase clearly in half back when it was released with its abundant usage of clean vocals (mainly male; female only on one song) and less complex songwriting. A firm favorite of many fans both old and new, but certainly not representing the same style as on the other albums. Overall quite a unique combination of various styles, (death) metal being only one of them.

5. Haven (2000): The first album of the modern DT-style. The addition of electronics brought a fresh aspect to the band's sound, while retaining the old basics of combined aggression and beauty. A tastefully made step to a new frontier, but considered by some to be less enduring than the other DT-releases. The cathcy riffs and keyboard-melodies make the album very easy to get into, however.

6. Damage Done (2002): The latest new album by the band, partly a return to the roots, partly a careful step forward. Combining the brutality of The Mind's I with the electronic sound of Haven and with the emphasis on guitars of The Gallery, the album pretty much sums up those aspects from the band's repertoire. A very solid album with 12 strong songs, but not quite yet the bold leap to new dimensions some fans were waiting for - the next album, perhaps...

In addition to these, the recent double-CD by the name Exposures - In Retrospect and Denial (2004) collects the band's pre-Skydancer demos and rare bonus-tracks in one package with the audio-part of the band's live DVD Live Damage (2003). Although I like Exposures very much, I really think it is made more to us old fans than to the newcomers. Thus, I recommend you get the other albums first.

Hopefully this was of any help - the opinions expressed above are probably quite subjective, so beware. And sorry for the brevity, but I got to go to the sauna now.

-Villain

I am thinking about getting a DT album, and I'm wondering what's a good starter? I have listened to "The Sun Fired Blanks" and I think it's really awsome, if that helped? Don't really have to say your favourite album, just the one you think is the best.
Thanks in Advance

care to tell us some of the stuff you like in general? that could help a bit..
anyways, i'd say get "Haven", it's been a good starting point for many people(including me), even though they ended up appreciating the other albums more. or get "damage done". the song you liked is off "projector" which is the most different of their albums and everybody on earth should love it. :Spin:

oh, and welcome aboard.

Damage Done is a great starter, and work backwards. Most people would say start at the beginning and work forwards, but if you want stuff like 'Sun Fired Blanks' definately either Projector, Haven, or Damage Done.

There is a thread about this, but its probably on like page 6 and wont be easy to find... but if you do find it you'll see huge almost essay style battles of opinion on each album and you should get a jist of all the albums... in fact if you read that thread carefully enough I guess you'd be so full of knowledge on the subject of DT albums you wouldn't even have to buy them, you'd be able to simply imagine every note. *Clearly gone too far*

no, fuck you. delete this thread. you dont choose music based on others opinions anyway, find some mp3's!! kinda pointless question really.

hereby declared: no thread shall ever be started containing the words best and album together.

Ok is this harsh? :p

:p I love alot The Gallery MInd's I and Of Chaos and Eternal night.But considering the stuff you listen to probably the best intro to DT is Mind's I,like it was for me when it was released.That time it was a friend of mine who bought that CD and came like :hotjump: "wow it's one of the best thing i've ever listened to!".then we listened to The Gallery and were really excited.you know,the first 5 or 6 times i listened to The Gallery i was totally focused on the drums,cos i like(d) ssssso (too) much the way Anders play(ed).
but anyway it depends on tastes...i.e.:the best In Flames cd to me is Whoracle,while so many consider The Jester Race!
have a great time with DT music! :)

Hey all, I havent given much attention to DT in the past. I bought Damage Done and think it's average. I heard another earlier song, called "The Same" and I liked it so I ordered the Haven album. What can I expect?