(New) Love/Hate Thread

Still want you to do some backing vocals with me, Podgie :D

WOOF

Podgie, I envy you getting to see My Dying Bride live! Make sure to post a review.

I wasn't planning on posting a review, but seeing as though you asked... and seeing as though I rarely get to see my favourite homegrown band, I'm more than happy to supply you with one :)

So. Here's the setlist:

Your River
From Darkest Skies
And My Father Left Forever
My Body, a Funeral
Feel the Misery
Thy Raven Wings
The Prize of Beauty
Erotic Literature
To Shiver in Empty Halls
The Cry of Mankind
She Is The Dark

Encore

Like a Perpetual Funeral
Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium

It was only my second time seeing the band (the first being Damnation fest in 2008) and I must say, a My Dying Bride headline show turned out to be everything I'd hoped (and believe me, I had high expectations). I thought they were excellent back in '08, but this time around they really set the bar for me. Fantastic set list, superb performances all round - like a fine wine, I think Aaron and Andy get better with age. I was so happy to hear My Body, a Funeral, which I always thought would be great live (and was, with that great mid section chock full of drums rolls and riffs). My favourite off the new record, To Shiver in Empty Halls really impressed me (Aaron's grows being literally, shivering). I've always thought The Prize of Beauty was a killer song (again, disgusting growls from Aaron, "dreams of filthy lust!!"). During the The Cry of Mankind the crowd broke into an Iron Maiden-esque sing along of the melody and I thought that was a real testament to such a classic, iconic song. I could almost feel the pride bubbling inside Andy as the crowd sang along to a guitar part he wrote over 20 years ago now, a great moment. She Is The Dark seems to be the band's "Hammer Smashed Face", they always play it, maybe down to it being such a big crowd pleasing riff fest. Following that the band left the stage only to return with Aaron saying "We never usually do encores. Glad you didn't all fuck off home! ... Then again our encore's 20 minutes long so maybe you'll have wished you had fucked off" haha ... But no, hearing Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium was the icing on the cake for me. Ending the night with a 12 minute slab of crushing old school death / doom? Yes please
xheadbang2.gif
...I thought it was funny how Aaron said to the crowd "please feel free to sing along to this one" as well, impossible! haha

The venue was nice, the sound was great, fucking crushing at times! And with original guitarist Calvin back in the band, and everyone seemingly on top form with it being opening night of the tour, it felt just right. My only minor (minor, almost completely insignificant) complaint? That there was nothing played from my favourite, The Dreadful Hours. But then of course you can't please everyone, and you can't play something off everything every night when your band's been around 25+ years and you've released a whole bunch of albums and EPs. Besides, I saw them do The Dreadful Hours last time, and I'm sure one day I'll hear My Hope, the Destroyer, or The Raven and the Rose, or one of the others.

So, my overall verdict? BLOODY BRILLIANT. I hope everyone who catches them on the tour has as much fun as I did. And I hope that you get to see them yourself one day Zero. Nobody sounds like My Dying Bride (even the bands who're clearly trying to). A truly a legendary act who demand recognition, and will probably never disappoint in a live setting. Of course the fact they're an acquired taste almost makes me love them even more... Long live the bride!

P.S. I only cried once.

Last edited:
Love: Doom beta was great and now there's another beta coming for it again, the new Star Wars trailer

Hate: Some stuff but life is pretty okay right now

Love : Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Fallout 4, Invincible
Love/Hate : Bought something expensive, having second thoughts, BUT CAN'T WAIT TO GET
Hate : RACCOONS. THEY ALL MUST DIE.

Love: Fallout 4 (gotten into the beta for the first 2 dlcs so far, really hoping i get into the beta for the next expansion too), I have feelings for a girl and she has them back which is cool
Hate: Eviction notices, they're not as fun as you would think

Love: Vocals for demo done! Who wants it? :p
Hate: Had a massive altercation with the king of dicks at work today. Because the thick fuck parked horizontally across three parking spaces. Y'know, as you do.

Hey, Podgie... your concert review post has me intruiged. I've never listened to My Dying Bride before. Any recommendations on a good place to start?

Love : Joe Kelly's Deadpool run. Poor Al and Weasel are in The Box. :(
Hate : How Daniel Way treated Al, Weasel and The Box during his run.

Holy shit. Kind of hard for me not to agree. Seeing as though it was where I started, and to this day remains one of my very favourite albums. However, I must say, while throughout their long career they've maintained their unmistakable style - their albums do vary in sound somewhat.

He's right though. Start with The Dreadful Hours, and if you enjoy something in it I'd say work your way forward... but Turn Loose the Swans and and The Angel and the Dark River are probably the two classic My Dying Bride records. And 34.788%... Complete is something completely different.

Perhaps we could start a My Dying Bride thread! ........ :p

EDIT: Ha, whoops. We've been through this before haven't we? This thread I totally forgot existed will probably be of some help Keenan http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/my-dying-bride.842566/ ;)

Last edited:
LOVE: Aired the single on Top Rock Radio last night. I'm starting to think people are fucking with me, even the Vindicator album didn't get a reception that good from people. Plus, I sent it to Scruff from Hellbastard who went fucking apeshit over it - being a fan for years, that meant a fucking lot.

Holy shit. Kind of hard for me not to agree. Seeing as though it was where I started, and to this day remains one of my very favourite albums. However, I must say, while throughout their long career they've maintained their unmistakable style - their albums do vary in sound somewhat.

He's right though. Start with The Dreadful Hours, and if you enjoy something in it I'd say work your way forward... but Turn Loose the Swans and and The Angel and the Dark River are probably the two classic My Dying Bride records. And 34.788%... Complete is something completely different.

Perhaps we could start a My Dying Bride thread! ........ :p

EDIT: Ha, whoops. We've been through this before haven't we? This thread I totally forgot existed will probably be of some help Keenan http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/my-dying-bride.842566/ ;)
Holy moly, that's an oldie... Still haven't listened to MDB's whole discography since then, though I did make my way through a good chunk. The Dreadful Hours is their best I think but Songs of Darkness and A Map of All Our Failures are up there as well.