New Metallica?

Regardless, both bands are very radio-friendly which is where, I believe, the hate against Metallica's Black album originated: they switched to a radio-friendly format of catchy verse-chorus songs
that any dunce can tap his feet, air guitar or sing along to, right?

I see your point, and yes you're right, I don't have anything against catchy verse-chorus-verse music at all. But when it's done in the style of Metallica-lite, it does nothing for me. Maybe done differently it could, but that batch of songs sound stale and forced to me. There's no depth to the material at all. I find a million times more depth in a good Beatles album.

It's still good music.

Perhaps from a technical standpoint, but artistically....

I'm just hoping for a few better riffs and better production maybe. I think it could turn out to be a bit of a half decent metal album, but nothing to amazing at all. Anything else I wouldn't give a fuck about. (ie. vocals and a few other little things)

Why do people even care about this band anymore?
I cant speak for everyone but for me, Metallica were my first metal band and were my gateway into all of heavy metal. Kirk Hammett was my early inspiration to play guitar and to start a band. Their music has had a huge impact on my life and helped me get through alot of crap growing up. Personally, I cannot simply give up on them.

I cant speak for everyone but for me, Metallica were my first metal band and were my gateway into all of heavy metal. Kirk Hammett was my early inspiration to play guitar and to start a band. Their music has had a huge impact on my life and helped me get through alot of crap growing up. Personally, I cannot simply give up on them.

Totally agree.

AND, St Anger wasn't a horrible album, it just had horrible production and was a shit METALLICA album. It was at least equal to most post-Seasons Slayer albums.

Totally agree.

AND, St Anger wasn't a horrible album, it just had horrible production and was a shit METALLICA album. It was at least equal to most post-Seasons Slayer albums.
No way, I like Divine Intervention quite a bit. Paul Bostaph is one of my favorite metal drummers. I cant agree that St Anger wasnt so bad. A few of the songs were decent but overall, it lacked everything that I had come to love about Metallica

For the question of why I still care about Metallica... because KEA through Black still fucking rule. As my tastes continuously become more and more towards the ultra-extreme forms of metal, I keep expecting to wake up some morning and find Metallica enitrely boring and uninspired. Well... it never happens. I keep putting their albums on and it keeps kicking so much ass.

I've never even bothered to so much as check out any of Metallica's post-Black Album material. Just never felt the need to... I guess I feel like everything KEA through Black is pretty much perfect, and I don't want to tarnish that with potentially sucky albums. But for me there is a lot ot be gained from this upcoming album. I guess there's a pretty good chance that it will suck. But... it COULD be totally fuckin' awesome. And that'd be another notch in the belt for one of my all-time favorites. And another album I can play a thousand times and rock out.

I think it'll be good having the return of guitar solos on the new album.The songs on St Anger were just really repetitive and needed solos to break them up a bit.Their music has gone downhill since the black album(I blame the haircuts),but it's never too late to return to form.And either way,the new album couldn't possibly be any worse than St Anger,or have any songs worse than 'mamma said'.

I think Metallica will never return to "Kill 'Em All" sound. I probably will buy their new album, but only after hearing other metalheads' opinion.