New Metallica?

Here is what I remember from the set list (not in order, though Creeping Death was first):

Creeping Death
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Sad But True
Master of Puppets
Fuel
Enter Sandman
And Justice For All
Fade to Black
Battery
Maybe one or two more songs from the Black album or later

1st encore
Something
One
Maybe one more

2nd Encore
Four Horsemen
Seek and Destroy

No new songs. They said a new album would be out in September (I think).

Apparently it was the largest concert in Tucson in 30 years at 25,000 people.

I went with my brother-in-law.

During the band right before Metallica (Scars on Broadway, which is some members from System of a Down, but not the main singer), we made our way through the crowd and got to a reasonable spot, center stage and not too far away. We probably waited close to an hour for Metallica to start. As soon as they did we got separated, which is no biggie. I basically stayed where I was, and slowly got closer as the crowd shifted around. I got into the older songs (pre-black album) and stood there for the later songs. The crowd was a little odd to me. Tons of people, but not a lot of headbanging or thrashing around. Little pits opened up here and there, but nothing really big or full. Tons of weed-smoke in the air. I got one elbow in the eye while trying to help someone get up onto the crowd. It wasn’t a hard hit, but it was my eye, so that sucked.

Overall I had a good time and was happy about going.

One thing that struck me as odd was as soon as they finished, the people started chanting "one, one, one". I was like, "one?" I got nothing against that song, and I like it, but I thought it was silly and Metallin00bish. Maybe I am just old. I thought, "probably all these kids who have Guitar Hero III".

I was disappointed that they didn’t play Whiplash. My voice got pretty thrashed, and part of the reason was me yelling "Whiplash".

I was really disappointed at one point when James was talking from stage. I think he was thanking or congratulating us (or whatever) for supporting "Heavy Music". I don’t remember exactly what the context was, but as he was speaking I clearly expected him to say "…heavy metal". To me it almost seemed awkward and obviously deliberate. It’s sad when a band called METALlica will not make reference to metal. Sad But True.

It took us 2 hours to get out of the parking lot. I was so thirsty. That sucked.

The band lineup was:

Chiodos
Flowbots
Apocalyptica
Scars on Broadway
Metallica

I tried to get there for Apocalyptica, but the traffic arriving was so bad that we missed their whole set.. Scars on Broadway might have been ok, but they annoyed me with their left-wing liberal lyrics and frequent reference to doing drugs in their lyrics and between songs. Their music is only ok IMO, so I pretty much didn’t care.

I didn’t even investigate shirts, but I heard they were like $35. Lame.

EDIT: I guess this is the actual playlist:

01. Creeping Death
02. Fuel
03. For Whom The Bell Tolls
04. The Unforgiven
05. ...And Justice For All
06. Sad But True
07. The Memory Remians
08. Fade To Black
09. Master Of Puppets
10. Battery
- - - - -
11. Wherever I May Roam
12. One
13. Enter Sandman
- - - - -
14. The Four Horsemen
15. Seek and Destroy

I like the Black album, mainstreamy or not.

I like it, as a Metal album (I don't consider it a Hard Rock album, as some people do). And yes, it's mainstreamy as fuck.

But it can't be compared to the previous stuff (Kill, Ride, Master and Justice). It sounds like another band playing. These four are amazing, I don't get tired of listening to them.

Garage isn't bad, either. :)

I think you can count thrash bands on 1 hand who put out atleast 4 good thrash albums

Metallica
Overkill(not a fan though)
Slayer

and ???(fucking nevermore isnt pure thrash dont bring it up)

I think you can count thrash bands on 1 hand who put out atleast 4 good thrash albums

Metallica
Slayer

True, I don't remember many thrash bands with plenty decent releases.

A few examples:

Exodus - Bonded by Blood, Fabulous Disaster, Tempo of the Damned, Shovel Headed Kill Machine, Atrocity Exhibition.

Dew-Scented - Inwards, Impact, Issue VI, Incinerate

Megadeth - Peace Sells..., Killing is my Business, Rust in Peace :kickass:, Countdown to Extinction

Fuck you queer. Go watch Arthur
Sorry, I just remember you guys having very similar opinions.

lol?
Overkill and Testament have never reached the heights that Metallica has reached.
This is indeed true. Both musically and commercially.

Kill
Ride
Master
Garage Days

I agree.
I see what you did there.

Metallica
Slayer

Kreator?
Sodom?
Testament?
Megadeth?
You have failed.

Sorry, I just remember you guys having very similar opinions.

This is indeed true. Both musically and commercially.

I see what you did there.

Kreator?
Sodom?
Testament?
Megadeth?
You have failed.

Well did forget Kreator, Sodom has never wow'd me except for Agent Orange, did Testament even release 4 thrash albums? even if they did, they were never amazing or just downright awesome.

Not sure if I have heard the whole thing, but it's definitely not thrash. I am not really into hard rock. You can like it, but to a fan of the early albums, it's not even close to the same band.

For my part, I began parting ways with Metallica upon the release on AJFA.

Not the same band? Can't agree with you there. It only has 2 soft songs on it, and they're not much softer than Fade To Black. Same old soft intros into heavy riffs, same old slight progish leaning. Through The Never could easily be on Master of Puppets. It's a more chorus driven album but other than that it'd be as heavy as their earlier albums.

I like a few songs on the earlier albums such as Whiplash / Blackened / Orion but overall I've never really enjoyed Metallica.

Not the same band? Can't agree with you there. It only has 2 soft songs on it, and they're not much softer than Fade To Black. Same old soft intros into heavy riffs, same old slight progish leaning. Through The Never could easily be on Master of Puppets. It's a more chorus driven album but other than that it'd be as heavy as their earlier albums.

That doesn't sound familiar. From the songs I have heard from that album, they are not playing thrash at all. My exposure is limited, but as far as I remember, I have heard:

Enter Sandman
Sad but True
The Unforgiven
Wherever I May Roam
Nothing Else Matters

And song like Fade to Black and Sanitarium may be slower and softer, but they are much heavier/more intense than stuff I have heard from their later albums.