new nevermore...

dorian gray said:
@NFU: im curious why you dont place much value on lyrics in the metal genre. it seems to me you are are a consumer of quality. to me, that means the entire package - including lyrics.
but, i couldnt tell you a word of jester race but i really like the album. so, i guess i can see where you are coming from.

well, for me...the quality in metal is the music...rarely the lyrics. im not a lyric nazi in any genre to be honest...when it comes to music...the music is what i mainly focus on. theres songs by my favorite bands i still dont know the lyrics to, and i frankly dont really care most of the time. if i hear a part i think is clever, ill pick up the booklet and read it, or sometimes i just learn the lyrics over time. so yea, i think were on the same page with your jester race comparison.

NineFeetUnderground said:
well obviously everyone has their own opinion of what "great lyrics" are...and i probably overgeneralized. But i merely meant in my own opinion, i havent heard a metal band with lyrics that really jumped at me as anything taking note of, rather than just being dark imagery, or attempts at some kind of poetry, or semi-political/social slander or hatred...and then the usual one dimensional satanic rubbish for shock value.

i dont feel any of this really detracts from the music, for i certainly dont listen to metal for the lyrical content...(that goes for most genres really)...so im fine with it...i like the music a lot and thats enough to keep me listening to the bands i do with perfect contentment.

it just blows me away when bands who ive always thought had very immature and elementary lyrics...are praised to have "such great lyrics" by some of their listeners. *shrug* i just try to listen to the music...i feel thats whats important in metal.

Hey Nine, I know this is a little off topic here but what do you think
of the new Mars Volta?
Is it worth the $6.99 at cduniverse?

gatedropper said:
Hey Nine, I know this is a little off topic here but what do you think
of the new Mars Volta?
Is it worth the $6.99 at cduniverse?

more than just about any other modern USA release i can think of. its fantastic, as is their new one. very innovative, very melodic and catchy too...for being unconventional and quite progressive modern rock. you wont regret it i reckon.

deliverance said:
absolutely, buy it.
I can't wait to pick my copy up on Tuesday, when it's released. Though I still like Deloused better, as of now.

woops, i didnt realize he was referring to the new one. :loco:

but yea, both are excellent releases. the new one isnt as commerically accessible, but i think its much more inventive, creative and a solid progressive from deloused. either album...you cant go wrong.

Thanks guys, I just ordered it and looking forward to hearing it in it's entirety.
If this one yanks my crank I will be gettin' Deloused. I like progressive and inventive.

I think everyone should stop judging bands by their first impressions. Dorian, if you paid attention to a few phrases in 3 nevermore songs from enemies of reality you really don't know Nevermore lyrics, sorry to say. Read some from Politics of Ecstasy and Dreaming Neon Black. Even if you did read the lyrics for the entire album I'm just saying that everyone should really examine more (whether it's listening or just reading) before making a decision. Kinda like how someone would hear one Ulver song from their whole career, or one Bathory song and just judge the band and say they "suck" or whatever. People need to be more patient.
I always thought Nevermore had some of the best lyrics in metal anyway.

They play that Widow song from TMV all the time on the radio, which I find a bit odd, since they don't usually play progressive/neo prog on the air. The song isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

the new one has a balladly song. I was smoking in my truck the other night listening to pop/rock radio and that balladly mars volta song from the new one came on. I'd love to see the reaction of casual music fans buying the new mars volta, because the rest of the album is pretty psyched/progged out.

Speaking of great music I recently purchased the two most recent ISIS cds and wow, i fuckin fell in love with them, they are really unique in my opinion. It took me like 5 listens for each cd to really get into it, but once it clicked i was just in the most chill mood. they are great cds

They are great live.
They, like Nevermore, have a great drummer.
Did you get Panopticon and Oceanic?

I think the new Mars Volta is awful. Even Oceansize is better. De-loused was great for its distinctness and had some great tracks, none of which are qualities of ftm.

spigot said:
I think the new Mars Volta is awful. Even Oceansize is better. De-loused was great for its distinctness and had some great tracks, none of which are qualities of ftm.

well, id say deloused may be a better album, but i love a lot of whats going on in the new one..as the last one didnt have nearly as much experimentation and almost improvisational type qualities. The spacey and (krautrock) vibe going on with the spanish tinge to the music is also pretty unique, and i can dig that.

Minion520 said:
Speaking of great music I recently purchased the two most recent ISIS cds and wow, i fuckin fell in love with them, they are really unique in my opinion. It took me like 5 listens for each cd to really get into it, but once it clicked i was just in the most chill mood. they are great cds

Isis is amazing, I love Oceanic, it has a great atmosphere

Well, talking about Nevermore, any of you guys like Sanctuary?? you know the old band of Warrel Dane and Jim Sheppard

Dreadful said:
I always thought Nevermore had some of the best lyrics in metal anyway.

i strongly agree here. especially 'the passenger' is teh win!

about sanctuary: i like them alot. refuge denied isnt that great tho it has its moment (esp. white rabbit) but into the mirror black is the greatest power metal album of all times to me. just no boring second!