NFL 2012

If you look at his career averages, he is not an underachiever. Neither are Ware, Witten, or James. The rest of the team in the last 5 years have been.

Career averages? I look at specific seasons, not averages of his career because that doesn't tell you much.

And yes he is an underachiever. How is he not? You just claimed he's better than Favre and Roethlisberger. But yet what has he accomplished in his career? What are you basing this on?

With the talent pool there in Dallas, he and his team have underachieved more than just about any other team.

Um, and the Colts put together a running attack and a decent defense to win the SB. Otherwise, Peyton has choked in big games to.

I really wish people would get this story correct. I seriously don't know how many more times I'll be willing to explain this before I say fuck it and go postal on someone.

Ok, first off, don't ever used the word choke/choker and Manning in the same sentence. It's 100%, absolutely, positively, undeniable, not true. This is a fact, and a sad fact of life for all those who like to pile on him.

Secondly, this belief that the Colts' defense is solely responsible for the Colts winning the Super Bowl is nothing more than another attack at Manning for his alleged "choking" in the playoffs. The reality of the situation is this:

Yes, the defense with a (finally) healthy Bob Sanders ripped Kansas City a new asshole in the wild card round. For this win you can give most of the credit to the defense. But then again, Manning didn't really need to do much aside from not losing the game because the defense was playing so well. You could even make the argument that Kansas City's horrible game plan was the reason for their loss, but that's ok. I'll give this one to the defense.

The divisional game against the Ravens was a unique game in and of itself. If I recall correctly, that game set a record for most field goals made in a single playoff game, and one of the few games that never had a touchdown scored. Some crazy shit like that, I don't recall off of the top of my head. However, did the defense single handedly win this game? No. Did they play a major part? Yes. They obviously did a fantastic job of keeping the Ravens HORRIBLE offense from scoring points on them by preventing them from implementing the same offensive gameplan that the Chiefs failed miserably at. This game is not comparable to the wild card game for two reasons: 1) Manning moved the ball up and down the field that game, getting them in scoring position for five field goals. The issue with the Colts offense this game was converting red zone trips to touchdowns, not failing to move the ball. Manning was his typical self, picking that Ravens defense apart like he's done so many other times since. Had the Colts scored even a single touchdown we wouldn't even be discussing this game as a "defensive win."

Now, here's where shit gets hairy for those of you claiming that the defense won it all for the Colts in 2006. Did any of you even watch the 2006 AFCCG? Because if you did you'd know there was no such thing called "defense" played in this game aside from Asante Samuel's pick six and Marlin Jackson's game ending interception. This game was all about offense. A game which is regarded as one of the greatest AFCCG/playoff/games of all time. The Colts were down 21-3 at halftime. And guess who lead the Colts back from the depths of hell to win the game? PEYTON MANNING. Not the defense. Certainly not the special teams because they gave up an 80 yard return to Ellis Hobbs that game and just generally sucked ass the entire game. Oh, and did I mention he was playing with a severely bruised thumb on his throwing hand? Ya, I'd love to see Romo accomplish something like this.

And then of course there's the Super Bowl. This game was an absolute mess all around. The monsoon didn't help either. I don't think you can pin this win on any specific area of the team. Sure, the defense played pretty well, and the offense scored a decent amount of points, and the special teams sucked yet again, but there's always the x-factor that people who are trying to trash Manning seem to forget. I'm talking about the true MVP of the Super Bowl: Rex Grossman. Hey, I'll be the first to admit he handed the Colts the game with his ineptitude, but I don't give a fuck. Thanks Rex!

Favre was a hypemonster before the MVPs, I don't buy it. It's nearly impossible for a Dallas Cowboy to win the MVP award, since the whole team is constantly hyped/overhyped.

Favre was hyped up because, just like Romo, he was an up and coming "star" in the NFL. Favre just so happened to live up to a lot of the hype, whereas Romo hasn't.

It's not nearly impossible for a Dallas Cowboy to win the MVP, that's ridiculous. It's just nearly impossible for anyone that doesn't play QB to win it. I think Romo would have won the MVP in 2007 had it not been for the Patriots record setting year. Romo was an absolute monster in the regular season that year. I know because I had both him and Brady on my fantasy roster, along with Randy Moss. Needless to say, I didn't lose a game that season.

Hell, Emmitt Smith, the greatest Cowboys player ever, and the alltime leading rusher, only won it once.

But what you aren't getting is that's really saying something.

Green Bay gets this "small town underdog" bullshit tagline, in a league where the size of your market is mitigated in regards to team payroll.

I don't understand where this came from or what your point is.

I think Rivers is a great QB. But I haven't seen anything different out of him than Romo, other than he is less mobile. The Chargers have been constant underachievers in the last five years as well.

Uh, he doesn't play like garbage in big games? Rivers has a really good playoff record. He's knocked the Colts out of the playoffs as underdogs twice. He's played really well in the AFCCG against the Patriots in 2007 with a torn ACL (he actually played two games with a torn ACL that post season).

The issues with the Chargers isn't just with Rivers, just like it isn't necessarily just with Romo when it comes to the Cowboys. But Rivers' record is far superior to Romo's.

So what is Romo supposed to do? Start throwing air punches and raging about the loss? And who has ever kept TO in line? That is a ridiculous standard.

How does Romo not "lead by example"? He isn't getting arrested, he knows the offense, he is never late to team meetings, doesn't make outrageous statements to the press, etc. etc. The guy is professional.

I think you have some sort of subconcious connection between "exuding leadership" and at least one Super Bowl win.

I don't know what Romo needs to do, but whatever he's doing now and has been doing the past couple seasons isn't working.

edit: For the record, I don't hate Romo. I like the guy and would really like to see him accomplish something big in his career. But if his career to date is any indicator of his future success, there won't be much.

just wait to you guys get Umenyiora next year. Yes, that's just my prediction.

That would be awesome but I think the Bears will focus more on upgrading the linebacker position in the off season. Urlacher is getting old and Briggs wants more money.

San Diego v. New England should be a good game and I hope the Falcons maul Vick and the Eagles tomorrow night.

Rams against the NY Giants is an interesting match up for MNF. I hope it is a good game.

Giants are the better team and should win @ home. I'm not expecting them to dominate or anything. I expect a typical unimpressive Giant win. 17-13.

Sounds about right. Especially if Jackson doesn't play.

Sidney Rice isn't playing for the Seahawks...Bryant McFadden for the Steelers was limited in practice this week and is listed as questionable, still recovering from a mild torn hamstring he suffered early in the preseason. This would be the PERFECT opportunity to let Keenan Lewis play.

In 2006 the Colts defense was 21st in total yards and 23rd in total points. The offense was 18th in rushing yards. That was still Manning's team. The defense FINALLY came through in the playoffs and got the Colts over the top. But comparing Manning's "chokes" to Romo's chokes is silly. Manning has been to two Super Bowls, three AFC Championship games. Romo has yet to sniff such high stakes.

Football is a teamgame. Peyton gave the Saints their Super Bowl loss, and has choked agsint the underachieving Chargers (twice?).

I agree Farve is over-hyped (especially during the last five years of his career)), but anyone who says he's not an all time top 15 QB knows nothing about the NFL. Romo does not have top 15 all time upside.

Rothelesburger has won two Super Bowls and been to three. Again, Romo has yet to prove he deserves to be in that conversation.

Top 15? Judging by era, I would say no. Also, Roflsberger is good, but closer to a excellent game manager than an historically elite quarterback.

If you can reduce Farve to that, I can only assume your around 18. Farve was an elite quarterback for years.

I am specifically bringing this up regarding the MVP awards and other various hype issues with Favre. Was he a top 10 QB in the league for a while? Yes. Was he worth all the coverage? Only for his "ironman" toughness.

Career averages? I look at specific seasons, not averages of his career because that doesn't tell you much.

And yes he is an underachiever. How is he not? You just claimed he's better than Favre and Roethlisberger. But yet what has he accomplished in his career? What are you basing this on?

"Accomplishments". Like Super Bowl wins? That seems to be the holy grail now, even though you are avoiding saying it. Let's not tell Dan Marino, and very nearly Peyton or Elway. "Career averages don't tell you much"? Did you really just say that? Don't tell you much about a specific season maybe. That's about it.

With the talent pool there in Dallas, he and his team have underachieved more than just about any other team.

As a team, yes, they have.

I really wish people would get this story correct. I seriously don't know how many more times I'll be willing to explain this before I say fuck it and go postal on someone.

Ok, first off, don't ever used the word choke/choker and Manning in the same sentence. It's 100%, absolutely, positively, undeniable, not true. This is a fact, and a sad fact of life for all those who like to pile on him.

But he has. He just isn't "known for it", or maybe he is, since it has apparently been "piled on him". I wouldn't know.

Secondly, this belief that the Colts' defense is solely responsible for the Colts winning the Super Bowl is nothing more than another attack at Manning for his alleged "choking" in the playoffs. The reality of the situation is this:

Yes, the defense with a (finally) healthy Bob Sanders ripped Kansas City a new asshole in the wild card round. For this win you can give most of the credit to the defense. But then again, Manning didn't really need to do much aside from not losing the game because the defense was playing so well. You could even make the argument that Kansas City's horrible game plan was the reason for their loss, but that's ok. I'll give this one to the defense.

The divisional game against the Ravens was a unique game in and of itself. If I recall correctly, that game set a record for most field goals made in a single playoff game, and one of the few games that never had a touchdown scored. Some crazy shit like that, I don't recall off of the top of my head. However, did the defense single handedly win this game? No. Did they play a major part? Yes. They obviously did a fantastic job of keeping the Ravens HORRIBLE offense from scoring points on them by preventing them from implementing the same offensive gameplan that the Chiefs failed miserably at. This game is not comparable to the wild card game for two reasons: 1) Manning moved the ball up and down the field that game, getting them in scoring position for five field goals. The issue with the Colts offense this game was converting red zone trips to touchdowns, not failing to move the ball. Manning was his typical self, picking that Ravens defense apart like he's done so many other times since. Had the Colts scored even a single touchdown we wouldn't even be discussing this game as a "defensive win."

Now, here's where shit gets hairy for those of you claiming that the defense won it all for the Colts in 2006. Did any of you even watch the 2006 AFCCG? Because if you did you'd know there was no such thing called "defense" played in this game aside from Asante Samuel's pick six and Marlin Jackson's game ending interception. This game was all about offense. A game which is regarded as one of the greatest AFCCG/playoff/games of all time. The Colts were down 21-3 at halftime. And guess who lead the Colts back from the depths of hell to win the game? PEYTON MANNING. Not the defense. Certainly not the special teams because they gave up an 80 yard return to Ellis Hobbs that game and just generally sucked ass the entire game. Oh, and did I mention he was playing with a severely bruised thumb on his throwing hand? Ya, I'd love to see Romo accomplish something like this.

Because the defense didn't play much better in the second half?

Favre was hyped up because, just like Romo, he was an up and coming "star" in the NFL. Favre just so happened to live up to a lot of the hype, whereas Romo hasn't.

He won one Super Bowl against a completely outmatched Patriots team. The Packers were just as stacked in the late 90's as the Cowboys were in the early 90's. But they weren't "The Dallas Cowboys".

But what you aren't getting is that's really saying something.

That the team was stacked? Yes I know this.

I don't understand where this came from or what your point is.

Answered to crimson.

Uh, he doesn't play like garbage in big games? Rivers has a really good playoff record. He's knocked the Colts out of the playoffs as underdogs twice. He's played really well in the AFCCG against the Patriots in 2007 with a torn ACL (he actually played two games with a torn ACL that post season).

The issues with the Chargers isn't just with Rivers, just like it isn't necessarily just with Romo when it comes to the Cowboys. But Rivers' record is far superior to Romo's.

Because he's beaten Peyton twice? I'm looking at stats and then mobility. It takes all three phases of the game to win consistently in football. I would put Rivers and Romo on equal ground passing wise, and give the edge to Romo due to mobility. Rivers can't do this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Football is a teamgame. Peyton gave the Saints their Super Bowl loss, and has choked agsint the underachieving Chargers (twice?).

WHAT?!

This is pretty much a shining example of the type of argument you've been using in order to support Romo. I already told you the guy is very talented, but he just hasn't made it to that elite level yet. You keep acting like I'm just trying to bash him which is not the case. And then trying to slam Peyton for whatever reason to somehow make Romo look better. It's just silly man.

Romo IS NOT, and if he continues on the same path he is now, WILL NOT be an elite QB in the NFL whether you want to believe it or not. I don't give a shit what you've seen him do or what you think he can do. That's the same logic people use to select draft picks and they don't always work out. I don't expect you to agree with this or embrace this line of reasoning, but like I said, that's the sad state of reality in Big D brother.

I don't understand why you even started diminishing what other QBs have done in their career to boost what Romo has done. He hasn't done shit like I said. To use my draft pick anology, he's shown a lot of promise, but you can't use that as an argument for the talent level of a player. I mean, I could write a book on all of the NFL players who have shown a lot of promise and upside and all those stupid terms used to make people believe that a player may or may not be great that never panned out. Now, I'm not saying this is true of Romo, I think he is SLIGHTLY a victim of his circumstance, but not nearly to the level you are claiming.

Also, regarding that Youtube video: uh, ok, and? Who cares if Rivers can't do that (which is false, I've seen him make some nice scrambling plays before)? He doesn't have to. Just like Brady and Manning and Brees don't have to. But they all can. Besides, using that to support your claim that Romo is better than Rivers is just stupid. I can think of one play in particular that completely nullifies that entire point.

Wait for it...wait for it...aaaaaand BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

edit:
Because he's beaten Peyton twice? I'm looking at stats and then mobility. It takes all three phases of the game to win consistently in football.

I think the Indianapolis Peyton Mannings would disagree with you. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Peyton is obviously somewhere in the top 10 QBs of all time, if not top 5. My point is, judging QBs off of cherry picked situations turns into a never ending search for situations that prove a particular position.

Eli Manning is, and has been, a fairly average QB, who had an excellent D and running attack in 2007, and has sat on that one ridiculously lucky play since 2007. I'm not even sure what the point was of you posting that video. It doesn't nullify that Romo makes a play like that Falcons game play at least once a game.

As far as that winning consistently comment, I also should have included "or a ridiculously consistently weak division".

Manning is probably the greatest QB I've ever witnessed. I didn't start following football like I do now until 2003 or so..

Another good one is Kurt Warner.

Same old shit with the Bears...O-line sucks and Cutler and Forte try to carry the rest of the offense. The Bears need to pay Forte; he is one of the few offensive players for the Bears that deserves to be paid well.

Way to go Lions in destroying the Chiefs. Two blowouts in a row for KC now.

So the question is: Are the Steelers that bad or are the Ravens that good?

Bump for the answer to Dakryn's question.

Also, prediction (not serious): Cam Newton will break the passing yardage record while going 0-16.

I say it every fucking year. Why am I a fucking Bears fan?
No respect from the front office. yeah sure, pay your QB big bucks, but dont give him any help at all.
Fucking assholes.
If I was Jay Cutler I would sit out the next game. Fuck this team

Wow. The Bills are a scoring machine.

The Bears just have too many holes on offense. Mediocre O line, no #1 receiver. I don't know if Cutler will survive the season with protection like that. The officiating in that game was awful, BTW.

Wow. The Bills are a scoring machine.

The Bears just have too many holes on offense. Mediocre O line, no #1 receiver. I don't know if Cutler will survive the season with protection like that. The officiating in that game was awful, BTW.

I will not blame Culter if he spikes the ball in future games to protest bad protection and bad play calling. Pathetic.
I agree on the officiating, give that crew its walking papers. I think the Saints coach scared the officials when he yelled at them. They not only moved the football ahead to give the Saints a first down, but they also didn't call a penalty on either side for the rest of the half.