NFL 2012

So I think I lost my Fantasy game by less than a point, but Dallas won, and won me 100$, so I'm cool with that.

I would like all the guilty parties to formally retract their statements about Romo's "lack of leadership".

I also would like glasses given to the refs working the Redskins backfield, since they missed Ware getting tackled at least three times.

I would like all the guilty parties to formally retract their statements about Romo's "lack of leadership".

Sure, he may have it in doses...but not consistantly over periods of time. And yet to be shown on the big stage...in a playoff run...or in the SB. Until this happens he will not and should not be considered great as he is labelled at times. The Dallas brainfart is however showing some guts lately.

I really want to know where the hold was on that punt return TD that wasn't at the end of the Bears game. 21 was clearly nowhere near any other players, let alone a Packer, and the alternate explanation was that the hold was on 29, a number which no Bear wears.

It was one of the more brilliant special teams play calls I've ever seen, and it got taken away on a holding that no one saw. Not saying the Bears would have won, but they would have had an onside try, about :40 seconds, and only a field goal to tie. The officiating in general was pretty awful. Missed pass interference that would have gone for 40 yards, and supposedly no defensive penalties on GB all day.

The officiating did suck for that entire game, both ways. The packers did have one or two defensive penalties by the way. I don't think it was rigged...it was just handled god damned horribly over all.

I guess you have a pretty low opinion of Dan Marino then.

You see this argument ALL the time in defense of QB's that haven't won a Super Bowl. At the end of the day, while I don't think a qb needs to win a super bowl to be great, if we continue comparing each and every one that we like to Mr. Marino...well, then his prowess must be nowhere near what I recall...because thus far Romo is nowhere near Marino status.

And I meant that Romo simply needs to do it more consistently over periods of time within a season(s). Do this first, then hope to continue some good trends in the playoffs. You don't need to win a bunch of playoff games to be considered a good QB. But I think you consistently (and not just once flash in the pan- Doug Williams) need to have an impact in winning some big playoff games or even a SB before you can be considered great. At this time, Romo is simply a good NFL QB. I think he can and most likely will elavate his status over time.

Romo is just one of those guys. Fair or unfair, that in order to erase his image as a bonehead who makes untimely mistakes...he'll need to have successful playoff performances...do it on a bigger stage etc.

I am not comparing Romo to Marino, I am saying the arbitrary standard is bullshit.

The "bonehead", lack of fire/leadership, choke artist image is one based on cherry picking situations. Cherry picking always leads to a distorted image.

I tend agree with the distorted image thing. Thats why he needs to, and in a way I hope that he wins in the manner I stated. Then he can shut people up that over-criticized his bonehead mistakes. At the same time people (myself included) don't like it when the "great" or "next great QB" label is thrown out there before guys even come close to earning that title. Romo is not the only QB this has been put upon. When you throw in some real untimely mistakes like Romo has had in the past...wether they are over-criticized or not? This is bothersome to fans...these QB types have to convince and prove it even more. And they are of course only considered "good" at the position.

I'm fully aware that this won't be of much interest to most, but I think this is an interesting article about Ike Taylor, a player that people who don't watch the Steelers tend to not really know a whole hell of a lot about.

Steelers' Taylor measured with elite corners

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What really constitutes a shutdown corner?

Is it merely interceptions, or is it having such a reputation that the opposition won't throw in your direction?

Could it be having the assignment of defending the other team's No. 1 receiver on every snap, no matter where he lines up on the field? Or is it a combination of everything?

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor would like to know the definition, because if anybody in the NFL should be called a shutdown corner, he fits that description.

Through three games, Taylor has allowed three catches for 18 yards in the 20 times he has been targeted while being asked to cover Lee Evans, Mike Williams and Reggie Wayne - all No. 1 receivers.

Taylor will draw another top receiver Sunday when he will be matched against Houston's Andre Johnson.

"I don't see anybody better than Ike," Steelers receiver Mike Wallace said. "When it comes to covering, I'd put my money on him any day. People are sleeping on Ike Taylor."

Taylor blanketed Wayne last Sunday and allowed only an 11-yard catch out of 10 targets to Wayne, while Taylor was covering him.

"He is one of (the best in the league)," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "He is fast, he is strong, he is big and it really makes it tough. Guys are more recognizable than him name-wise, but as far as playing, I think he is one of the best."

What makes Taylor unique is that he covers the other team's top receiver no matter where that player lines up. And Taylor usually is playing press-man coverage with no help.

That alone makes Steelers safety Ryan Clark think Taylor is better than the preeminent shutdown corner in the league — Nnamdi Asomugha — and should be mentioned in the same breath as the Jets' Darrelle Revis.

"Nnamdi's stats compared to Ike's stats over the past three years aren't even close when it comes to production," Clark said. "It is about perception. Nnamdi wasn't playing cover-zero every play in Oakland, but you would think that because that's the perception."

Asomugha was targeted only 29 times last year while playing in Oakland, then signed a five-year, $60 million deal with the Eagles.

"Once people talk about you in a certain way, then that becomes your perception," Clark said. "Perception becomes reality, and then you go to Pro Bowls."

The perception about Taylor, who signed a four-year, $28 million deal in the summer, is that he is far from being considered a shutdown corner and maybe even further away from being a Pro Bowler.

A recent ESPN.com poll asked experts to rank the top cornerbacks in the league on a scale of 1 to 10. Taylor not only didn't make the top 10, he didn't receive a vote - 20 other corners in the league got at least one vote.

"I'll let you all deal with the stats. I just take it one play at a time," Taylor said. "It is just being consistent week-in and week-out for me."

Taylor was bypassed the first two weeks; he was targeted only seven times. Against the Colts he was thrown at 13 times, with the only two catches being quick-hitting pick plays at the line of scrimmage.

There's still that one issue when it comes to Taylor - his hands.

"The thing that keeps him from being mentioned with those guys is just catching the ball," Clark said.

Taylor had only two interceptions last year and never has had more than three in a season. He has only 11 picks in 128 career games.

Then again, neither Asomugha nor Revis had an interception last year and both made the Pro Bowl.

"I would love (a Pro Bowl) on my resume," Taylor said. "I'm going to get it — just don't know when."

Dear god was that ever a homer piece. Here's what I disagree with:

1. Right off the bat, this guy shouldn't be comparing Taylor to Revis or Asomugha. He's not on their level, at all. He's a good corner, but a shutdown corner? No.

2. When did Seattle's Mike Williams and Lee Evans become top tier receivers? :lol: wtf. Mike Williams has had one good year, last season, and up until that point he was labeled a bust. And Evans has NEVER been referred to as a top level receiver, ever, because he's not. Not only that, he isn't even the best receiver on his team, Boldin is. And iirc, he's been hurt basically all season thus far and has a total of two receptions for 45 yards in three games. And lastly, do I really need to explain how using Reggie Wayne as an example of his covering abilities is monumentally stupid? That entire offense hasn't done dick all season.

Come on, let's be real here. Taylor is a good corner, but he ain't great. That article was just stupid.

edit:

3. Another thing about that guy who wrote that article: he's full of shit and needs to do his research. If what he says is true, then why did Greg Jennings have two touchdowns in the Super Bowl? Better yet, why wasn't Taylor covering Jennings on one his touchdowns? That entire defense, including Taylor, was absolutely torched in the game (like I said it would).

I don't even understand the point of the article now that I've invested this much time thinking about it. Most of the shit the guy said about Taylor is flat out wrong or extremely exaggerated. I mean, I get it, it's a homer piece on one of their best players. But making stuff up like that isn't going to do him any favors in the Pro Bowl voting.

...and how many Steelers games have you seen in the last half a decade? The point of the article is not that he's suddenly doing this. The point is that he's continuing to do what he's been doing for years, yet has hardly received any recognition for it. Taylor is thrown away from, and, for the most part, trails a team's best receiver all game (note, and an obvious one at that: there's a difference between a "top level receiver" and "a team's top receiver". You can't cover Calvin Johnson when you're playing the Seahawks, or Larry Fitzgerald when you're playing the Browns). No corner covers a team's best receiver every play of every game. Not Revis, not Asomugha. And no, sometimes he doesn't cover a team's "best" receiver necessarily, but rather the receiver most likely to damage the Steelers. For Baltimore, it was Lee Evans because he's the only corner on the team that could keep up with him. Boldin essentially plays the Hines Ward role in Baltimore; I don't think you would argue that Hines Ward is the Steelers' top receiver. So what if Evans re-aggravated an injury during that game? He still covered him and he was constantly running go routes. He was targeted 4 times and caught zero passes, two of which Taylor defensed himself.

Reggie Wayne had over 170 yards in his first two games this season and was averaging over 15 yards per catch. To completely dismiss Wayne's performance in the last game because Peyton Manning wasn't throwing him the ball is bullshit, because he was still producing in the prior two games.

Your reaction is completely absurd and totally overblown. Ike Taylor is a great corner. On most teams, he would be their top corner. I honestly doubt that you've seen him play enough to know what type of player he is. Please explain to me what is "flat out wrong or extremely exaggerated" about that the author wrote (not what a player is quoted as saying). Maybe it's your reading comprehension that is at issue here.

Like what, the fact that you can't distinguish the difference between a writer saying "the other team's No. 1 receiver" and "a top level receiver"? I honestly don't understand why you felt the need to blow up and attack the piece to begin with, as though it bothers you on a personal level. You're going to "slam" my post? Good for you bro.

Teams Ike Taylor would be the No. 1 corner on, or close:

Carolina
Chicago
Buffalo
Cincinatti
Tennessee
Detroit
Dallas
Houston (yes, he's better than Joseph)
New Orleans
Jacksonville
Indianapolis
San Diego
Seattle
San Francisco
Washington
New England (yeah, Devin McCourty is overrated...Joe Haden is the better CB from last year)
Atlanta (Dunta Robinson is overrated. Brent Grimes is better, but he doesn't have the size and doesn't cover in press as well, thought he's more opportunistic)
St. Louis
Denver (it would be close with Bailey)
Oakland (ditto for Routt)
Indianapolis
Baltimore possibly as well, and maybe the Giants.

So what does that leave? Basically the Jets, Eagles, and Packers. The Browns mercifully have Joe Haden, and I give the Dolphins and Cardinals the benefit of the doubt with players like Davis and Robinson. Also Tampa Bay with Talib.

I do follow the foe Steelers closely. And yes DODS you are correct...I have no interest the fookin I.T. article.;)

Breathing / abusing the nitrous oxide. Visiting multiple dentist offices faking tooth pain so he could have multi orders of pain-killers prescribed and filled. Contemplating murdering people / suicide. Nothing shocks me really when it comes to the negative events in the life and times of professional athletes. But this, a bit surprising and alarming I'd say.

For those who missed it during the game: Jonathan Scott totally dominates Dwight Freeney with what can only be described as a Pinball Assblock:

jonathan-scott-butt-block.gif

I'd take Corey Webster over Ike, Chris Gamble (Panthers), Marcus Trufant (Seahawks), Carlos Rogers (49ers) etc etc....

I think you're way off Dodens. Saying that it's close between Champ and Ike is super duper fan-boy. I don't know if I can take it seriously.