NFL 2012

Minnesota takes top honors in arrest rate.

Well, those Vikings do have a history of pillaging, rape, drinking and all that!

Good, Rob Ryan getting his overblitzing hubris shown up. Just wish it wasn't against the Eagles.

Edit: And can we go ahead and cut Bennett omfg.

:lol:

Gotta love putting a beatdown on the Cowboys! Eagles look like they're starting to turn things around. The defense looks like it is finally coming together and on offense, McCoy might be the second best running back in the NFL.

And in other news, Tim Tebow has no business playing in the NFL.

No comment on the Steelers and Patriots? I figured it was a big enough game to at least warrant a mention. Most of the country did get the game.

Well since you asked, here's what I posted elsewhere (with some further elaboration):

So, all it took for the Steelers to beat Tom Brady was to completely change their identity on offense and defense. And luckily it only took a decade to figure out.

I know it may sound absurd for me to read into the victory last night as much as I'm about to, but I think that this victory means a lot more than the W, or just the "quality win" if this was college. Instead of every time the Steelers lose to an 'elite' QB like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Drew Brees and everybody talks about how that game "provided the blueprint on how to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers", this game has shown the Steelers themselves how they can must play to consistently beat these elite QBs.

Of course, they were not always equipped to execute the game plan that they did last night, but they have the pieces now to do that. Let's start with the defensive side of the ball.

For years, the Steelers only had one CB capable of playing tight press coverage on a receiver since they allowed Rod Woodson to depart in free agency, and that has been Ike Taylor. Bryan McFadden, especially in his second tour of duty with the Steelers doesn't have enough quickness to do it, and Gay is slow and inconsistent. So now, after the display they put up in week 1, the team finally decides to put some trust in Keenan Lewis and actually give him a chance to show what he was capable of doing. The guy literally grew up covering Mike Wallace on the playground. He was taken in the 3rd round in 2009 and, though I always felt he could play, a combination of dumb special teams penalties, untimely injuries, and mental lapses (punching a sign after being benched in the preseason last year against the Broncos for committing 2 personal fouls) have seen to it that most labeled him as a bust. He sees his first extensive playing time of his 3 year career in week 1, coming on to the field in nickel packages, but playing the outside corner spot, and, more often than not, playing man up. As indicated by the Steelers defense giving up less yards through the air than any team in the league, he's been doing a pretty good job.

This transformation, however, began in the offseason. First, the Cardinals sign away their secondary coach, and to replace them, they bring in a familiar face, former Pro Bowl Steelers safety AND cornerback Carnell Lake. Then they drafted two CBs with a pedigree of playing man in Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Surprisingly, Allen beat Brown onto the field for playing time. Allen missed almost all of the preseason, and in addition to this, he only took up football in his senior year of high school, and then went to a military school where football was not his main priority. When he was drafted, he was seen as a very raw but talented corner with good size that would be a project. However, Curtis Brown has dealt with some injuries of his own during the season and, despite shining on special teams, hasn't seen a snap on defense yet. Cortez Allen, however saw double digit snaps in the dime package last night, about 18 plays, alternating with Ryan Mundy to cover Gronkowski, who simply out-sized Gay last year. Allen and Mundy have superior size and were better matchups for the big tight end. With Taylor and Lewis covering Welker and Branch and Gay and Allen covering the TEs, the Steelers were able to sustain coverages long enough for their pressure packages to actually get to Brady. They may have only registered 3 sacks, but the pressure forced Brady into early and poor throws all day and he never looked comfortable or in rhythm.

The Steelers utilized their dime package (with both 4 CB 2 S formations and 3 CB 3 S formations) on 80% of their defensive snaps, and play tight man coverage almost 75% of the time. This is a Pittsburgh defense that has not existed since...I honestly don't even know when. But a number of factors contributed to what we saw on the defensive side of the ball against the Patriots. First, as already stated, having the personnel to run man cover schemes created the opportunity. Bringing in Carnell Lake created the ability. This has been especially effective on William Gay, who has never played better. And James Harrison's injury, ultimately, created the necessity. With both Harrison and his backup Jason Worilds injured, LeBeau was forced to move Lawrence Timmons to the outside, where his pass defending talents cannot be utilized as frequently or effectively. So instead of dropping off Timmons on a RB or a TE, LeBeau decided to take off Larry Foote (who moved into the starting lineup and into Timmons' spot) off the field and bring in a 6th DB. Earlier on, it was mostly Mundy, the 3 safety, but every week, Cortez Allen closes the snap disparity. This past game, he saw 18 snaps versus Mundy's 22. With 4 CBs on the field that are able to play man on any given down, with Gay and Allen in the slots, the Steelers are suddenly an extremely versatile defense that are capable of throwing even more exotic looks at opposing QBs now. Those who claimed befuddlement over the Steelers not addressing their secondary issues were incorrect in believing that they hadn't. They already had some answers internally (in Keenan Lewis), and they then went out and drafted not one, but two CBs. They didn't need to sign a Johnathan Joseph, a Carlos Rodgers, because they had enough to work with.

Now, on offense, Bruce Arians employed a conservative, possession type of passing game, allowing the Patriots to take away the deep ball to open up the middle lanes for not only the backs and TEs, but even their speedy WRs. Wallace, Sanders, and Brown all had AT LEAST 5 catches for 65 yards. Meanwhile, Heath Miller had a big game, and Roethlisberger was excellent, and especially lethal on third down, outside of the one interception. With Ben forcing the Patriots into their nickel and dime packages by throwing the ball 50 times, that allowed the few rushing attempts to have a high degree of success. Mendenhall had 70 yards, but he did so on 13 carries, for example, and their efforts in the running game kept the Patriot defense honest.

With the inexperience of their young receivers last year, and Ward going down with an injury in the Patriot game last year, Roethlisberger could not orchestrate the performance that he was able to this year. Even still, Antonio Brown is liable to miss multiple hot reads and run a few poor routes every game. But Mike Wallace has only gotten better since the last time these two teams played, and Isaac Redman has earned the trust of the coaching staff. Meanwhile, the offensive line has improved with the return of Max Starks, the maturity of Maurkice Pouncey and Ramon Foster, and the surprisingly consistent performance by rookie Marcus Gilbert. Although Ben was sacked 5 times against the Patriots, pretty much all of them were on him, and outside of those instances, he didn't face much pressure, even when he didn't quick release, which he did early and often. The maturity and development of chemistry that the young receivers have built with Roethlisberger over the past year, which was stunted last year with his suspension to begin the year, don't forget, has gone a long way in improving the Steelers' ability to beat teams with elite QBs.

The most impressive thing about this victory was that they could've done so much more. They were average at best on offense once they got into the red zone. Brady's first TD came on an 8 yard field after Roethlisberger threw the interception. And the second TD didn't even need to happen. First, rookie LB Chris Carter, who was only in the game after LaMarr Woodley went down with a hamstring injury, jumped offsides on a 3rd and 2 inside the 10 to give Brady a new set of downs. Then on the ensuing 4th down play, Ryan Mundy stupidly held Gronkowski on a ball that William Gay deflected. If Mundy doesn't cause that penalty that wouldn't have affected the play anyway, it would've been a turnover on downs. To play so imperfectly yet still come away somewhat handily defeating a quality opponent is a good sign for the future.

There are some major injury concerns, however. Foremost, their linebacking corps is significantly depleted. James Harrison has already said he's unlikely to play next week and may miss the following game as well. It would seem optimistic to believe that Woodley would be ready to go this week as well. And in addition, James Farrior suffered some undisclosed torn calf muscle last week, apparently during practice, and some don't expect to see him until December. Add on to that Jason Worilds continuing to deal with a groin injury, and the Steelers are left with 5 LBs, including one that they just signed from their practice squad. If all remains status quo, the starting LBs against the Ravens will be Timmons out of position at ROLB, Foote playing RILB where he played most of his career, but is a notable downgrade from Timmons, Stevenson Sylvester, a 2nd year 5th round pick who started against the Patriots in his first defensive snaps of the season and, in limited snaps, did not look comfortable, and Chris Carter, a rookie 5th round pick who, while having an unstoppable motor, is not strong enough to fend off blockers consistently and lacks the discipline necessary to consistently run LeBeau's heavily gap-conscious system. If this is indeed the lineup that takes the field Sunday night, it should be interesting to watch. I've touted the quality of the Steelers' depth, especially at LB, for years, and now it's being tested significantly.

Edit: I'd also like to address the fallacy that the Steelers are an old team, as I don't think most people appreciate how many young guys significantly contribute to their success. For starters, most of the old guys are on defense. On offense, Roethlisberger is the second-oldest player, along with Max Starks and Heath Miller, and they're 29. Marcus Gilbert and Maurkice Pouncey are 23 and 22. Isaac Redman is 26. Rashard Mendenhall is 24. Of the Young Money crew, Mike Wallace, 25, is the oldest.

On defense, Ziggy Hood is 24, and while the rest of the starters on the line may be 30+, their backups, Steve McLendon (25, who started 2 weeks ago) and Cameron Heyward (22, who's just about ready to start and is far ahead of where Ziggy was in his rookie year), are very young. For the linebackers, Lawrence Timmons is 25, and LaMarr Woodley is 26. At 36, James Farrior is probably in his last season, and Stevenson Sylvester (23) is being groomed as his heir. Should he not be ready, Larry Foote (31) could provide a one year stop gap until he is. Behind James Harrison (33) is the second year Jason Worilds (23) who, unfortunately, has missed a golden opportunity to gain valuable playing experience with Harrison being down. And finally, the other OLB is a rookie. For CB, the only player that contributes significantly that is of any notable age is Ike Taylor who, at 31, has not lost a step. William Gay (26), Keenan Lewis (25), Cortez Allen (23), and Curtis Brown (23) round out the top 5 CBs. Bryant McFadden, who will soon be 30, will probably never see a snap on defense again barring a rash of injuries. The safety position is perhaps where the Steelers are most vulnerable on defense, both in terms of age and depth. Polamalu is 30 and Ryan Clark is 32. While Ryan Mundy, the primary backup, is 26, the only other safety, Will Allen, is 29. Safety and NT are the major areas of concern heading into the future for the Steelers defensively for the next two drafts, although they'll need another OLB and ILB to replenish the depth once Farrior and Harrison retire. They already have options on the practice squad for DE depth, and they've never been deeper at CB.

DODS, you may have mentioned it in your (too long to read- joking) post? But the Steelers simply beat the Patriots because the Patriots secondary is horrible right now. The Pats D- made big Ben look like Brady! More so...the last I checked the Steelers are still a pretty good team (esp on D-) playing at home that game. Not shocked at all they pulled out the win.

DODS, you may have mentioned it in your (too long to read- joking) post? But the Steelers simply beat the Patriots because the Patriots secondary is horrible right now. The Pats D- made big Ben look like Brady! More so...the last I checked the Steelers are still a pretty good team (esp on D-) playing at home that game. Not shocked at all they pulled out the win.

The Steelers beat the Patriots for a lot of reasons, and a pretty suspect secondary was one of them. But the Steelers' secondary was just as big a factor in the win, making Brady uncomfortable when their man cover schemes left nobody open for a change. Roethlisberger had a great month of October all together. In the last 4 games, he had 11 TDs and 2 INTs. He's thrown for 360+ yards in the past two games, and was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week twice in that stretch, so it wasn't just the Patriots' secondary.

For those who care, I actually finally decided to actually contribute to a website. I took what I posted here, polished it up, expanded upon it, and posted it on a website called Behind the Steel Curtain. You can read it here if you're so inclined. Depending on how this article is received there (rather favorably, so far), I may be contributing there more in the future.

Of course there were other reasons the Steelers won...in which I hinted at. Main reason was the Pats secondary. If they are average at best and could actually make some tackles...they could've squeaked one out there. It would be nice if Brady and Co didn't have to put up 30-40 pts every game in order to win.

Well wishes for your future article contribs.

Actually the primary weapon that Roethlisberger utilized to defeat the Patriots' defense was their own aggressiveness. For example, on 4 consecutive plays on the opening drive, Roethlisberger dumped the ball to his hot read (usually Heath Miller) once he saw Brandon Spikes blitzing. Ben was dumping off the ball often on bubble screens and in giant gaps in Belichick's zone coverage all game. As has often been the Patriots' problem on defense in recent years, in addition, they failed to generate much pressure on the QB, and this is despite registering 5 sacks. Part of this was Roethlisberger getting rid of the ball quickly so often, but there was more than a handful of plays where he held on to the ball for more than 3 seconds and made a play. Their defensive line made the Steelers' offensive line probably look a little better than they are, although they have been improving. In fact, that game against the Patriots was the first game all season where they started the same 5 players in the same 5 positions in multiple games, whether consecutively or no.

Here are the offensive line combinations by week left to right:

Week 1: Jonathan Scott - Chris Kemoeatu - Maurkice Pouncey - Doug Legursky - Willie Colon
Week 2: Jonathan Scott - Ramon Foster - Maurkice Pouncey - Doug Legursky - Marcus Gilbert (R)
Week 3: Jonathan Scott - Chris Kemoeatu - Maurkice Pouncey - Doug Legursky - Marcus Gilbert (R)
Week 4: Trai Essex - Chris Kemoeatu - Maurkice Pouncey - Ramon Foster - Marcus Gilbert (R)
Week 5: Max Starks - Doug Legursky - Maurkice Pouncey - Ramon Foster - Marcus Gilbert (R)
Week 6: Max Starks - Doug Legursky - Maurkice Pouncey - Ramon Foster - Jonathan Scott
Week 7: Max Starks - Chris Kemoeatu - Maurkice Pouncey - Ramon Foster - Marcus Gilbert (R)
Week 8: Max Starks - Chris Kemoeatu - Maurkice Pouncey - Ramon Foster - Marcus Gilbert (R)

I kinda joked a while back...saying the Pats are turning into yester-years Colts. I apologize for offending the Colts. Atleast they had some sort of secondary.

One more night until the Bears take on the Eagles.
Thoughts on this weekend in football:

49ers v. Redskins was a real lackluster game; the skins have no offense. It is nice to see the 49ers win, but have they beaten any quality opponents?
The Jets seemed to handle the Bills without much trouble. I was expecting a tighter and more exciting game.
Greenbay survived that shootout with the Chargers. It is a good thing that GB intercepted Rivers three times otherwise this a W for the Chargers.
The announcers on CBS made some disparaging comments about the Colts players' lack of intensity and pride as professional football players taking home big money every week. If the players have thrown in the towel and are just going through the motions I urge the fans to boycott their games the rest of the way.
Mixed feelings on the Broncos victory. Anyone else tired of hearing about Tim Tebow?
Houston Texans win again. It may be premature, but I predict they reach the AFC title game this year.

I would comment on the Steelers game here but nobody cares, so I'll leave it for another forum. Although I'm sure most are glad that they lost.