NFL 2012

So the first round of preseason games is finally just around the corner. My anticipation is high, as I am excited to see how a lot of the Steelers' young players perform. Not a lot of opportunities in camp this year to earn starting roles, but there are some key battles in depth areas that could be crucial to the team's success down the line this season and into the future. What players or narratives on your teams are you most looking forward to catching a glimpse of during this preseason? Here are some of the things that I will be looking for in the Steelers' games.

I'm looking forward to seeing about a quarter of the roster pretty eagerly, but I will reserve it to 10.

1. CB Keenan Lewis tops my list. I feel that he is on the cusp of finally proving himself in his third year. If he can finally catch up mentally to his physical abilities and see somewhat significant playing time this year, then that will improve the weakest link in the defense. Dale Lolley wrote today that he started in practice in place of McFadden today and had one of his better practices. The jury is still very much out on this guy, but he is one of the players that would immediately improve the team if he finally steps up.

2. We have heard about CB Crezdon Butler a lot more than we have seen him. He only featured on special teams last season and looked poor in doing so. Today on the Talking Steelers show, Mike Prisuta I believe mentioned that he spoke to Butler earlier in camp and he said that he didn't put much effort into his special teams play last year, but that he has dedicated himself to it this year. I am interested to see if they play him at safety in preseason at all as well. Ray Horton spoke last year that they had him practicing at all DB spots and I'm wondering if he could potentially move into the safety position if two of the younger cornerbacks (say Lewis and Brown) actually pan out). Polamalu and Clark are not getting any younger either, although, by that same token, neither are Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden.

3. I don't think much really needs to be said about why people will be eyeing WR Limas Sweed. He has a potentially elite skill set, but can't get on the field because he does not have the trust of his coaches. He must earn his way onto the roster in the next few weeks or face potentially looking for a new career.

4. I am interested in seeing just how complete a player RB Baron Batch actually is. I have read that he has not shined nearly as much of late and that Mewelde Moore has thus far had a very good camp. Performing well in the backs on backers drill is one thing, but recognizing a blitz in a game situation is another matter. Isaac Redman had this issue in his first camp. Lawrence Timmons obliterated him once in the backfield in 11 on 11 I believe. I am curious to find out how much of a threat he can be as a runner with his size, however. He has quickness and takes very sharp cuts, and seems to have fairly good vision as well, but will size be an issue? And how successfully will be he able to execution the third down passing offense at the NFL level? Perhaps most importantly for his rookie season, can he make it on special teams?

5. Although Chris Scott seems more likely to earn a starting position, I am more interested in seeing G Keith Williams. From descriptions, it sounds like he could turn into a superior version of Chris Kemoeatu without his flaws. He is a vicious roadgrader in the run game with the potential to be an adequate pulling guard and doesn't appear to be as mentally incapable of reading the play as Kemoeatu tends to be. His pass protection has been in question the entire time, but I have read a favorable report or two regarding his game in this area thus far, so I am willing to believe that he has the potential to grow in this area. I have surprisingly high hopes for this year's 6th and 7th round picks.

6. Being that the competition for the right guard spot is evidently completely wide open, I am interested in seeing both Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster, but I would especially like to get my first look at last year's 5th round pick, G/T Chris Scott. There were favorable reports about him in OTAs last year before he went down with an injury, and the team elected to carry him on the 53 man roster when he was removed from the PUP list when Max Starks' injury afforded them this opportunity. He has been receiving extremely positive feedback thus far and played a significant amount of time with the first team at right guard, especially currently with Foster, the incumbent starter, suffering from minor concussion symptoms. Gerry Dulac has already predicted that he will be the opening day starter at right guard, and with Foster still on the roster, that would have to mean that Scott is an upgrade at the position, which is always a good thing. Should he make the roster, it will be interesting to see how the right side of the line plays out this year with Pouncey at center and Willie Colon returning at right tackle.

7. Ed Bouchette has been beating the drums for WR Tyler Grisham for the past two years and I honestly never seriously considered him as a legitimate contender. However, after spending the previous two years on the practice squad, his back is now against the wall to make the 53 man roster due to no longer being eligible for the squad. Roethlisberger apparently has somewhat of a rapport with him, and his performance in practice so far has been described by the Pittsburgh Tribune as "difference-making" (for himself, obviously), so I am beginning to reconsider his chances. A lot can happen after a few preseason games, but it seems at the moment that Grisham may have the inside track on Sweed's roster spot.

8. TE Weslye Saunders is another player that entered camp with a lot of hype and hope like Baron Batch, but has also slowed in his ascent. After doing very well in blocking drills, he now seems to be struggling in this area, which would be his primary role as the 2nd or 3rd tight end in the Steelers' offense. One also must seriously question how much an undrafted rookie with a significantly truncated offseason experience can contribute immediately. I had previously had high hopes of him making the roster, but I now believe that he will be fighting fellow undrafted rookie tight end Jamie McCoy for a spot on the practice squad. He could potentially be the primary backup to Heath Miller as early as next year if things go right.

9. I was already amply impressed with the play of ILB Stevenson Sylvester in the preseason last year, though slightly less so in the minimal playing time that he received on defense during the regular season in junk time scenarios. He has turned himself into a special teams ace, however, and reports about his camp have been so glowing that I can't help but be eager to see him play again. He seems to have largely corrected his issue with pad level and continues to read defenses very well. I have read that seemingly the only area of his game that he still needs to work on is to let the play come to him and be in position to make the play instead of trying to chase the play.

10. A spot must be reserved for WR Emmanuel Sanders. The health of his feet can potentially be critical to the success of the Steelers' offense in 2011. The second year receiver was beginning to find his niche late in the season and became an absolute beast in third and long situations (though most may forget this due to Antonio Brown's helmet catch on 3rd and a day late in the Ravens game in the postseason). He has the potential to be both an explosive deep threat and a danger beneath the coverage. I believe he will be the future Hines Ward, however, with Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown also being significant deep threat targets, so I believe that they will nurture his game toward more of a slot receiver role. Reports since his bone marrow injection in his foot have only been positive, so I can't help be be slightly optimistic. He claims that he should return to practice on Monday and will be getting x-rays tomorrow. I need to see how much this injury sets back his progression, however. I wager that his spot as the third receiver may be in short-term jeopardy to start the season and he may have to earn it back from Antonio Brown, who has taken full advantage of this opportunity, especially while Ward was also on the PUP list recovering from thumb surgery.

These are the 10 player narratives that intrigue me the most, but I will be watching for many more things. I want to see if 2nd round versatile tackle/guard Marcus Gilbert can show consistent aggression and determination. I want to see how Willie Colon and Aaron Smith perform in game situations recovering from their injuries. I want to see how well Polamalu's Achilles holds up while making full bursts on the field. I want to see how limited James Harrison will be this year as he battles what will surely be a year long back issue. I want to see if Ziggy Hood maintains his tremendous growth from last year and if his starting position being once again put on hold due to Smith's return sets him back at all. I'm slightly less interested to see Cameron Heyward simply because I do not expect him to contribute much this year and because everything that I've read thus far as matched what my expectations were. Even Ziggy has said that Heyward is further along than he was in his rookie year and Heyward did not have the benefit of an offseason. I want to see if Arnaz Battle will get a legitimate shot to be a part of the offense this year. He has shined in practice like he did in preseason last year, but he was relegated to his role as a special teams ace. Does he get more responsibility this year? How does Curtis Brown look? Will he play so well that he force Lebeau to put him into some sort of nickel or dime rotation at some point during the season, or will he be limited to special teams duty in his rookie year? How does Chris Kemoeatu look once he is able to practice? He has been battling an arthritic knee with bone fragments all offseason. His starting spot at left guard may be in jeopardy. Or he might start the season on the PUP. I could really go on and on.

Dodens, are you actually blogging for a Steelers site? I would hope so, with that level of analysis. I feel like it is too soon for the readers here to care about those kinds of positional battles, but I don't see the harm in those postings if you are pasting them from elsewhere.

I don't want to be too quick to make Bears notes, but I don't think they improved the o-line, so it's a potential disaster. I have faith in Cutler and Forte, and the defense if healthy, but I think they top out at 10-6 at best. 8-8 is more likely. Green Bay is probably elite this year, and I think Detroit will be between 6-10 or 8-8 depending on QB health/play, but I'm down on Minnesota. I could see them sucking hard and going worse than 6-10.

STEELERS have signed Woodley to a contract, have not lost anyone now lets get back to the super bowl and not lose it this time!

Dodens, are you actually blogging for a Steelers site? I would hope so, with that level of analysis. I feel like it is too soon for the readers here to care about those kinds of positional battles, but I don't see the harm in those postings if you are pasting them from elsewhere.

Honestly, like I said before, my Steelers analysis is a bit ahead of the curve because, like I said before, they have maintained basically their entire nucleus from seasons past. The only free agent that they signed from another team is a tight end that might not make the roster. Every other FA was a Steeler last year. And I've followed the Steelers pretty closely for the past couple of years anyway. I started following several different Steelers websites last season and have continued doing that, so I'm kind of obsessively overinformed at the moment. I just started posting on a Steelers message board and the above post was my response to a thread on there, so I figured it would be no big deal to paste it here while asking others what they think of their teams (honestly, after I pasted it here it did occur to me that maybe I should try to write for one of these sites that I follow. I probably could). I guess the Steelers are less amorphous in terms of what they might shape up to be by the time the season starts than most teams though, so it's not surprising that others probably wouldn't have as much to say as I did.

4. I am interested in seeing just how complete a player RB Baron Batch actually is. I have read that he has not shined nearly as much of late and that Mewelde Moore has thus far had a very good camp. Performing well in the backs on backers drill is one thing, but recognizing a blitz in a game situation is another matter. Isaac Redman had this issue in his first camp. Lawrence Timmons obliterated him once in the backfield in 11 on 11 I believe. I am curious to find out how much of a threat he can be as a runner with his size, however. He has quickness and takes very sharp cuts, and seems to have fairly good vision as well, but will size be an issue? And how successfully will be he able to execution the third down passing offense at the NFL level? Perhaps most importantly for his rookie season, can he make it on special teams?

Ugh...

freed_steelers081011_1_500.jpg

Rookie running back Baron Batch, their seventh-round draft choice who had been one of the standouts of training camp, appeared to injure his knee in the afternoon practice Wednesday and was taken from the field in a cart. Batch was not hit when he was injured. He was cutting on the artificial turf field when he went down late in practice and was in pain.

The Steelers did not release the nature or extent of his injury, but a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Batch "probably" has a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Batch wrote on his personal blog Wednesday that he had sustained a torn ACL.

Edit: Steelers agree to 1 year deal with Jerricho Cotchery.

The Cotchery signing, assuming that his passed physical means that there are no legitimate health concerns, is definitely a good signing, regardless. He is a huge insurance policy in the face of an aging Hines Ward, a concern with Sanders' feet, and the unlikelihood of Sweed putting it together. He is a veteran presence that can step up should the old guard (namely, Ward) suffer an injury and provide leadership to a comparatively very young group of players. I too agree that he should be played intermittently in a flexible position. I think it would be fine to play him as the 3rd receiver every now and then, or even the 2nd receiver while Ward catches a breather. By default, however, I feel that he should be looked at as a platoon number 4 guy with Antonio Brown.

Maybe I just misread your post and you are suggesting it'll be over the course of the year. My mistake. I actually would read that, provided it's not prohibitively long each week. I like good sports discussions, and no one cares enough about any of the other sports much on this forum, and people are too dumb on other forums.

If you follow European football, I'd be more than willing to discuss.

I can't think of a sport I am any less interested in than soccer.

I fucking hate this new kickoff rule. It takes away a large advantage the Bears had last season, and it punishes all teams with talented kick returners. Kick returns are exciting, and having them essentially removed is lame. It's not just that the kicker is five yards closer, it's that the coverage is five yards closer. Previously, it would be a gamble to take a kick from five yards deep in the end zone, but it was done, because a fast guy would likely still make it past the 20. Now, with tacklers two steps closer, the risk of being short of the 20 or a fumble is too high, and the vast majority of kicks that go into the end zone will be touchbacks. This is boring. Early preseason returns indicate most kicks will be touchbacks. It will be interesting to see if teams can take advantage of blooping a kick between the 0-10 and using the coverage advantage to pin the receiving team inside the 20. If this catches on, it entirely defeats the safety motive of the rule change.

The new rule to review new scores is awful too. It only counts plays that were originally scores, not plays that were initially denied. So the net affect is that this can only reduce the number of touchdowns scored. I worry the affect on officiating will be similar to the fumble rule that encourages refs to not blow the whistle, since they can always overturn a fumble, but they can't restart a play they blew dead. So now refs will lean towards a score, and then the burden of proof is shifted.

The better change would have been to auto-review all plays that resulted in a score, or would immediately result in one if they were overturned. In the TB@KC game tonight, the KC QB fumbled in his own end zone, but the call on the field was stopped forward progress, which is not reviewable. So that score was not reviewed, even though replays rather clearly showed a fumble rather than stopped forward progress. Issues could also arise when players step or do not step on the sideline on the way to a score. I don't like it.

After one preseason game the Bears O-line looks worse than last years line. No real big surprise there, but if they give up 9 sacks a game like they did last night they are going to get the QBs killed. Hopefully they can get it together by the start of the season for Cutler's sake. Marion Barber had some impressive runs and Johnny Knox had a nice return.

Yeah, seriously guys, beware of over-analyzing shit. The Steelers "1st team defense" got walked up and down the field a couple times by a Rex Grossman-led Redskins offense, but I really don't feel concerned at all, especially since Polamalu, Harrison, Bryant McFadden, and Ike Taylor all didn't play (and Ryan Clark and Lawrence Timmons left fairly early as well after injury scares), and they play a very vanilla system in the preseason anyway. The Steelers intentionally do not scout and gameplan in the preseason, while the Redskins clearly did and really wanted to and tried to win this game, whereas the Steelers were just more interested in evaluating their young talent. Anyway, some observations that I made from the Steelers game:

RT Willie Colon looked good in his first real game-time action since the end of the 2009 season. He was very strong in the run game and showed some lateral movement in pass protection that I wasn't really expecting. Likewise, journeyman LT Jonathan Scott, who projects to start this year, did quite admirably as well, but one has to keep in mind that the 1st team offensive line only played 12 snaps (and even that isn't entirely honest). C Maurkice Pouncey did not look particularly sharp lined up with Doug Legursky at LG and Chris Scott at RG, but he only played 5 snaps. RG Chris Scott started the game at said position and actually played most of the game there. He hopes to win the job by the time the regular season starts. He got off to a very rocky start, but I saw noticeable improvement in his comfort level and awareness as the game wore on. Many Steelers sites were pretty critical of his effort, but I thought he was fine after he settled down, especially when one considers that the Redskins kept all of their starters in the game for the entire first half while the Steelers quickly shuffled theirs out. The Steelers' 2 rookie offensive linemen played late in the game, I believe toward the end of the third quarter and into the fourth, and I honestly thought that they were very solid against their level of competition. 2nd round T Marcus Gilbert saw a decent amount of time at LT while 6th round G Keith Williams saw just as much time at LG. While they were in the game, I felt that the left side of the line played better than the right side, which was made up of undrafted rookies.

In terms of skill position players, RB Isaac Redman continues to be consistently impressive and continues to prove that he deserves more playing time than he gets. He only had 50 carries last year, which is simply not enough, especially when he averaged 4.8 yards a carry and consistently converted on 3rd and short. 2nd year WR Antonio Brown also proved that he has really taken advantage of the extra reps that he's gotten in practice with the injuries to Hines Ward and Emmanuel Sanders. He is very athletic and fast, and his awareness and route running has improved considerably from last year. He is very impressive to me for a 6th round pick. There really is not much else to say here. QB Dennis Dixon looked like complete shit and it's hilarious that he actually wants a chance to start somewhere. WR Arnaz Battle had an awful game...I guess that's why he's a special teams ace. RB Jonathan Dwyer didn't show much, but he had nothing to work with either.

I reserve my defensive comments for later.

So the Giants are going to have major issues this year. Losing Steve Smith and Kevin Boss is going to be back breaking. Our Offense looks stagnant and the Defense has no depth. Can anyone here name a linebacker on the Giants? lol

I'm predicting 7-9

Jonathan Goof (sic), Clint Sintim, and (for some reason...) Mathias Kiwanuka. I really hope Mark Herzlich can turn into a legitimate player by next year. Not really expecting anything from him this year.

In odd Steelers news, long-time 4th round bust T Tony Hills had an above average game against the Redskins at both LT and RG and is going to get the opportunity to start at RG against the Eagles on thursday. I'm still fully prepared for him to not make the roster, however. The RG spot is wide open between Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, Chris Scott, Tony Hills, Keith Williams, and potentially Marcus Gilbert as well as time moves forward.

As for the defensive side of the ball, despite looking pretty unpolished, the only worry that I have for the starters is their health. Bryant McFadden already didn't play due to a pulled hamstring and it's questionable if he'll play thursday. Troy Polamalu is still receiving ample rest. James Harrison will NOT play 100% at any point in this season and reportedly has lost significant leg strength. Ike Taylor broke his thumb and will miss the rest of the preseason. Both Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are battling swollen knees. Ryan Clark suffered a stinger after a collision with one of the Redskin backs and quickly left the game after that.

In terms of depth, both Jason Worilds and Stevenson Sylvester play inconsistently. Worilds has some room to grow if he is going to play a bigger role than occasional pass rush specialist, which the Steelers need him to do this year, especially with Harrison's back issues. Cameron Heyward looked pretty impressive in his NFL debut, and the best part about it is that he thinks he played terribly. Keenan Lewis clearly stuck to the script he was given, which was "tackle the catch". If they want to see if he's ready to make the jump, they need to allow him to play the ball in the preseason to see what he can really do.

Jonathan Goof (sic), Clint Sintim, and (for some reason...) Mathias Kiwanuka. I really hope Mark Herzlich can turn into a legitimate player by next year. Not really expecting anything from him this year.

Michael Boley.Sintim doesn't start and will barely see playing time in the regular season.

The fact that we have a DE playing OLB in a 4-3 makes me sick.

You didn't say to name starters. :p Of course I knew Boley as well. I'm a Giants fan. I do like Sintim though. Kiwanuka's transitions to LB is going to be...rough at best.

I've been a fan of both pretty much since I started paying attention to football some time around 94-95. I remember guys like Rodney Hampton, Tyron Wheatley, Chris Calloway, Amani Toomer, Ike Hilliard, Jessie Armstead (loved that guy), Joe Jurevicius, Jason Sehorn, Philippi Sparks, even crappy quarterbacks like Dave Brown, Kent Graham, and Danny Kanell. And of course Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan. And Ron Dayne... But I've always been slightly more interested in the Steelers than the Giants, and that gap has only increased over time, especially in recent years, but I am a fan of both teams (and the Jets to a lesser extent).