NFL 2012

The Steelers play the AFC South and NFC West, with 4 games against the Browns and Bengals, plus a game against the Chiefs, and they're going 10-6? Okay.

Well Peyton has been officially ruled out for the season opener. And now there's a report circulating around, that was retweeted by Jay Glazer no less, that he's done for the season.

Jesus fuck. This has been the worst year of football ever I swear to god. First the lockout bullshit, now Peyton could be sidelined for the entire season. wowowowowowow

Well Peyton has been officially ruled out for the season opener. And now there's a report circulating around, that was retweeted by Jay Glazer no less, that he's done for the season.

Jesus fuck. This has been the worst year of football ever I swear to god. First the lockout bullshit, now Peyton could be sidelined for the entire season. wowowowowowow

At least he was a "steal" in the draft. His mere presence on your fantasy team should inspire his fantasy teammates.

re: Manning. Nevermind done for the year...he may be done for good if the reports are true. Reports of having a possible third procedure in 15 months time is alarming. If he is still having nerve pain after all these procedures??...then he may simply have permanent damage (or a really bad surgeon). This could end his career.

Let's not rush to conclusions. From what I understand, an official diagnosis of anything is still uncertain. The important thing is whether or not he'll be back in time to play the Steelers. :D

The Giants lose another player for the season, MLB Jonathan Goff. What the shit? Like...seriously. They may be starting a rookie 6th rounder.

Its nothing conclusive and yes...much uncertainty. However, it is scary that he still has nerve pain wether it be after 1 or 5 surgeries.

Not too long ago I had a herniated disc in wich pieces of it were literally hooking into my nerve. Nothing touches that type of deep nerve pain as far as relief goes. It was absolutely agonizing and constant pain for 1.5 months that literally floored me and put me out of commission. It was a "freak thing" and surgery was the only remedy in my case. Going into surgery you of course risk nerve damage be it from the original infliction or a bad procedure / surgery etc. It went well for me and had instant relief once the pieces of disc were removed off the nerve...and thankfully no real bad permanent nerve damage.

I'm hoping the man can just live pain-free and enjoy the simple things in life. Those of you who have suffered serious back pain...you know what I'm talking about. If that means no more football (and i hope not for Peyton)...then so be it.

James Harrison had two back surgeries over the offseason as well and says he doesn't know when he'll be back to 100%, maybe not this season. He says he played through it the majority of last season though and that he feels better now than he did during that time. He said he would get numbness in his legs or shooting pain, which I'm sure is related to nerves.

It sucks bigtime!

Sounds like Sciatic nerve pain. I had the constant shooting down the leg pain and numbness...this caused more from lower back disc problems etc. Sometimes phys therapy, cortizone shots, chiro treatment etc can fix things over time. I had 2 cortizone shots in a 2 week period...did nothing for me. The 2nd shot knocked me off the table when it hit the nerve... actually made things even worse.

Uh, where did you guys hear that Peyton is in pain? I've not seen any report stating that. From what I understand his recovery has been stunted and that he is feeling soreness in his neck, back, and arm, and numbness is certain areas. Pain hasn't been a complaint that I'm aware of.

Irsay supposably just tweeted that "Manning has not had a third surgery...with more updates to come". SI's Peter King stated "no third surgery...but a third procedure hasn't been ruled out".

I was talking more about the lower back pain / sciatic pain I went through...Harrisons situation etc.

Regardless of complaints of pain or not? If Manning is feeling soreness more importantly numbness with talk of a possible third surgery?...this ain't good. Hopefully he is just experiencing tender muscle recovery soreness from reps, therapy and not neurological damage pain etc. Also the muscle surrounding the whole entire area of the disc problem site will normally tighten and protect said area even after post-op. Resulting in a more than usual length of time having tissue / muscle soreness.

Peyton had another surgery. Estimates have ranged from 3-4 and 6-8 month recovery periods. There's no way he's coming this season, none.

And that's all she wrote for the 2011 Colts folks. I hope everyone else enjoys this season because I won't. Good luck all.

wow

According to an SI article and doctors reports...

The common healing time is about a year or so. It will most likely take 3-4 months to just get out of the neck collar. Movement in all planes is lost for some time...flexion, extension and rotation. Sterling Sharp had the same procedure and it ended his career. They basically take out the disc and put in-place a spacer. Very risky surgery but some players have returned in the past from it. But its sounding in Manning case (a third surgery-still problems) that his career is in jeopardy.

My question(s) would be...who is / was the Colts back-up QB all this time...I have no idea? And why havn't the Colts groomed someone in case of this (Manning out) type of situation- be it a very unfortunate one? To have to bring in a Kerry Collins and not have someone ready to step in, is poor managment imo. Collins at this point should be coming in as only an emergency back-up for any team.

The Colts had a decent backup in Jim Sorgi, but they let him go and now they have the incompetent Curtis Painter.

@Rick: You're always welcome in Steeler Nation, even if just for a season. ;)

...ahhh thats right- Sorgi. Its not like we ever saw him play or anything.

If Collins can stay sober put down the bottle and pick up the play-book. They'll have a fighters chance.;)

Back to real QB's. Other than the fan-boys...anybody else looking forward to tonites opener? A sexy match-up...should be entertaining hopefully.

According to an SI article and doctors reports...

The common healing time is about a year or so. It will most likely take 3-4 months to just get out of the neck collar. Movement in all planes is lost for some time...flexion, extension and rotation. Sterling Sharp had the same procedure and it ended his career. They basically take out the disc and put in-place a spacer. Very risky surgery but some players have returned in the past from it. But its sounding in Manning case (a third surgery-still problems) that his career is in jeopardy.

My question(s) would be...who is / was the Colts back-up QB all this time...I have no idea? And why havn't the Colts groomed someone in case of this (Manning out) type of situation- be it a very unfortunate one? To have to bring in a Kerry Collins and not have someone ready to step in, is poor managment imo. Collins at this point should be coming in as only an emergency back-up for any team.

The Colts have never had a legitimate back-up QB in the Manning era, they've never needed to. There's just so much to this situation it's hard for me to wrap my head around all of it right now so I'm going to abstain from commenting too much right now and let it all sink it.

The Colts had a decent backup in Jim Sorgi, but they let him go and now they have the incompetent Curtis Painter.

@Rick: You're always welcome in Steeler Nation, even if just for a season. ;)

No, just no. Sorgi was/is just as bad as Painter, seriously. Personally, I think Painter needs more time and a better chance at success instead of being thrown to the lions ala week 16 in 2009 and worthless, meaningless preseason games.

Don't forget people, as great as Peyton is now, his rookie season was shit. Granted, you could see a hellava lot more potential during that season than anything Painter has showed us, but still. Peyton still has the record for interceptions thrown in a season as a rookie, unfortunately. :lol: But he seemed to work out ok.

Am I saying Painter is the next Manning, fuck no. But he hasn't even had a chance to play in the right situation to be completely judged.

What I'd do if I was the Colts is do what Steve Spurrier did in the 90's as the Florida Gators head coach, and has done so at times in South Carolina, and that's have a QB rotation. We already know what Collins is. He's an average QB. Average QB play on this team won't result in anything magical, which pretty much rules out the chances of making the playoffs let alone winning the Super Bowl. So what's it going to hurt to play Painter? I mean, at least if something were to happen next season to Peyton, he'll have at least some meaningful playing time and won't look so goddamn shocked every play as if he's going to die or something. Either that or cut him, re-sign Orlovsky for the season, and just keep KC around for the next couple years as a backup.

Or Polian could always call Favre amirite?

Oh and I forgot to mention, I've also been a Dolphins fan since I was a kid (lived in Miami for a while and went to a bunch of games and watched Marino play). So there's always that... :erk:

Don't worry Rick, you'll have Luck to cheer on soon enough

What's with all the hype on this guy?

The Colts have never had a legitimate back-up QB in the Manning era, they've never needed to.

Well, still, even the best are always "one hit" away. We all understand Mannings durablility and maybe the Colts took advantage / ignored the importance of the back-up spot because of him. I think teams should always have a legitimate back-up if possible. It will of course allow the top teams to still have a chance if the surrounding talent can remain in tack.

There is always hope. Steelers lost Ben for the first 4 and still reached the SB. Pats still did fairly well when Brady went down for the year.