Non-metal 2004 stuff that turns me on

Legendary Pink Dots - "The Whispering Wall": I've already talked about this one some... it's classic Dots with more frustrating experimental parts and flashes of pure brilliance. The sheer creativity of this band and album will likely be enough to put it in the top 10.

Wilco - "A Ghost is Born": This really surprised me. What I thought was a stupid indie-rock band turned out to be one of the best things I've heard all year. Quiet, sparse moments, big buildups with forceful lead guitar, overall great atmosphere. I've only heard it once, but it's damn good.

Arcade Fire - "Funeral": Like Wilco, I've only heard it once but it's definitely enough to merit many more listens. Not quite indie rock, not quite new wave, not quite pop, not quite post-rock... I'm not really positive what to make of it yet, but songs like "Wake Up" are just breathtakingly beautiful.

Tears For Fears - "Everybody Loves a Happy Ending": Laugh all you like, but this is probably top 5 stuff. It really doesn't sound much like their earlier material (which I also love); in fact, it could easily have been the album McCartney and Lennon would have released in 2004. Pure Beatle-esque melodies, experimentalism and songwriting.

Thee Silver Mountain Reveries - "Pretty Little Lightning Paw": Experimental post-rock. A few of the members are in A Silver Mt. Zion and GY!BE (I think). Guitars, violins, strangeness, intentionally off-key wailing vocals... just a totally depraved, weirdo atmosphere. I've listened to it several times and I've loved it even more each time. Just don't expect it to sound exactly like GY!BE or ASMZ. It's much darker and strange.

Ghost - "Hypnotic Underworld": Probably the album of the year. A perfect mix of psychadelia, prog rock and Japanese folk music (seriously), this thing simply rules. It starts out with a 4-part, 23 min. psychadelic piece, then goes into some excellent, emotional and progressive stuff. They throw the listener for many loops thoughout, but when it finally ends (it's colse to 70 mins. I believe), you can't help but be amazed at how good this stuff is. I really can't explicate it beyond that. It's like nothing I've ever heard.

That is all for now, I believe.

The only non metal album i totally adored this year was Witchcraft's s/t. And the new Ozric Tentacels. I want to listen to the Blackfield album (project of Steven Wilson) and the new Marillion (everyone who listened to "Marbles" says that its on their top 3 of all times)

You should apply for a job at Aqaurius Records (or at least an internship if the Oxford thing falls through!).

Where do you get your non-metal albums? And how do you research them?

JayKeeley said:
Where do you get your non-metal albums? And how do you research them?
If they're good enough to buy, there is an EXCELLENT record store 10 minutes away that usally carries all the good hard-to-find metal, non-metal and generally underground stuff that I love.

I research them... well, there're many ways. Ghost I heard because one of my friends here discovered them. Many I find through reviews if I think the description sounds interesting. Another great way to find new music is through iTunes, which gives me access to the music libraries of hundreds of people. Sometimes I'll just ranomly click on a song and I'll listen to the shit. That's how I heard Wilco and Arcade Fire (AF of whom interested me through reviews, Wilco just because I'd heard so much great stuff about them).

Black Winter Day said:
Ghost - "Hypnotic Underworld": Probably the album of the year. A perfect mix of psychadelia, prog rock and Japanese folk music (seriously), this thing simply rules. It starts out with a 4-part, 23 min. psychadelic piece, then goes into some excellent, emotional and progressive stuff. They throw the listener for many loops thoughout, but when it finally ends (it's colse to 70 mins. I believe), you can't help but be amazed at how good this stuff is. I really can't explicate it beyond that. It's like nothing I've ever heard.

That is all for now, I believe.

I saw this at the shop the other day. I think I'll download it first.

John Frusciante - When Shadows Collide

This dude is the epitome of a soulful guitarist. Very likely album of the year, I've only listened to it a few times though (waiting for my proper copy to show up, currently just have the CD-R).

Muse Absolution-I think it came out this year, if not, its a excellent album.

The Mars Volta- De Loused, again a excellent album, maybe my fave of the year.

The new Interpol is still a good listen- not nearly as good as the last one, more song oriented.

I like Franz Ferdinand, quite catchy post punk.

Zakk Wyldes Hangover Music

There were a few non-Metal CDs that I really liked this year.

JOHNNY A.'s Get Inside. While not quite as good as his debut, Sometime Tuesday Morning, this is still the best instrumental CD of the year. To give you some idea of what JOHNNY A. sounds like, take SRV, remove most of the distortion and add a small helping of Jazz. He's on VAI's Favored Nations label, which should give you some idea of his skill level. An absolutely fantastic player.

LOS LONELY BOYS' S/T. A bit uneven, but overall, an excellent CD. Some nice musicianship and strong song writing.

Zod

I still need to hear the full new Nothing CD... That's the one non-metal 2004 CD that comes to mind as somewhat piqueing my interest...

The Nirvana rarities thingy comes out tomorrow. Instead of saying SCOOCOOSOOROESOROEOSOEOESCOOSOCORORESOE like I want to, I'll just keep it simple.

Score.

Erik said:
I still need to hear the full new Nothing CD... That's the one non-metal 2004 CD that comes to mind as somewhat piqueing my interest...
There are some tracks available at www.eibonrecords.com As far as I'm concerned, the members of Agalloch can be involved in as many projects as they damned well please. As far as where I get my non-metal stuff from, various prog-centric resources and webzines covering multiple genres...

One Inch Man said:
John Frusciante - When Shadows Collide

This dude is the epitome of a soulful guitarist. Very likely album of the year, I've only listened to it a few times though (waiting for my proper copy to show up, currently just have the CD-R).

Whatever this is, it comes out tomorrow:

Frusciante/Klinghoff
"Sphere In The Heart Of Si"

along with -

Korn
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Word Up! (Aus)"
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:dopey:
[/font]

Frusciante was trying to release 6 albums this year, that might be one of them. Yep, this is the 5th one! http://www.johnfrusciante.com/music/sphere.php

Oh shit, looks like Shadows Collide with People came out last year! More proof that 2003 KICKS THE WORLD'S COLLECTIVE DICK IN.

Also I heard a Korn cover of Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall the other day. Fucking awful. :ill: