nu metal

Whiplash402

Supreme Ruler
Sep 29, 2005
Illinois
i personally think this is shit along with death metal, black metal and basicly all metal that came out in the 2000's. So i am curious. How many people here actually enjoy listening to the cookie monster vocals and guitars that are so low it sounds like the same note?

I can't lump all of those `labelled' bands into the crap bin ... simply coz there are some great bands out there. And you know me - I am an old school metal head as well.

Dimmu Borgir - simply one of the best metal bands on the planet. Their guitar tone is more remisnicent of Iron Maiden (with blast beats) than say that of the whole detune staccato of Nu Metal.

Static-X - last 2 albums have been moosh but the earlier stuff is brilliant.

I could go on. Lamb of God (a throw back to Pantera and old school thrash in some respects). Killswitch Engage. Arch Enemy. Also to clarify these guys aren't nu metal. Rather bands since 2000.

System of a Down...

I used to have a very very narrow view of metal and most music in general... but being (almost) mid 30 I try to keep an open mind and take in a broader view.

My tastes if anything have gotten harder and heavier as I've gotten older too.

I think what I am trying to say is that I can't lump all bands post 2000 into the crap basket.

I give every band a chance regardless of genre.

BTW on a different note - the new NIN album is really really really good!

I wouldn't call Dimmu Borgir nu metal at all. They're more like progresive death metal without the complicated solos.

Nu metal was crap. It was dumbed-down rock for commercial consumption. I really don't think there's any of it I lked enough to even steal off the internet since I hated it so much, and the arrogance of people like Fred Durst still pisses me off. Korn sucked the worst. They were method songwriters who produced songs that all sounded the same and followed the same patterns. It only took one song for me to get bored with them.

I'm not a big fan of nu-metal! I just doesn't have any staying power.
I may like it the first time I hear a song ...but the next time it may not hit me the same. As for "Cookie Monster Vocals" , lame term by the way...I like Opeth, Arch Enemy, Swallow the Sun, Dimmu, thats about it! To sum it up , I really enjoy bands who play the Hell out of the Instruments and don't count on tuned down strings to be heavy.:headbang:

I wouldn't call Dimmu Borgir nu metal at all. They're more like progresive death metal without the complicated solos.

Nu metal was crap. It was dumbed-down rock for commercial consumption. I really don't think there's any of it I lked enough to even steal off the internet since I hated it so much, and the arrogance of people like Fred Durst still pisses me off. Korn sucked the worst. They were method songwriters who produced songs that all sounded the same and followed the same patterns. It only took one song for me to get bored with them.

Exactly what I said... Dimmu are Black Metal... at it's damn finest too.

Cookie monster vocals are used not just by death metal bands. Listen to some of Killing Jokes heavier songs like "This tribal antidote".

I was against nu-metal in 1994 and still is. It´s against my religion.

Cookie whatever growling vocals pretty much suck but you got to muddle thru the shit to find something good sometimes. This vocal style was used by a lot of thrash and some hard core bands in the 80s :zombie:

I think what I am trying to say is that I can't lump all bands post 2000 into the crap basket.

I give every band a chance regardless of genre.

BTW on a different note - the new NIN album is really really really good!

Tried that record but couldn't get into it at all.

I saw Sevendust a couple months ago in Anaheim and they put on a GREAT show. I really like their last album. Lajon can really sing.

The rest of nu metal and the screamers I can do without.

Just cause there getting a good mention I thought I'd let you know about this

DIMMU BORGIR
The Invaluable Darkness Tour 2007

Special Guests:
AMON AMARTH and HATESPHERE

September
28 London Forum
29 Nottingham Rock City
30 Manchester Academy
October
1 Glasgow Garage/QMU
2 Wolverhampton Civic Hall

I can't lump all of those `labelled' bands into the crap bin ... simply coz there are some great bands out there. And you know me - I am an old school metal head as well.

Dimmu Borgir - simply one of the best metal bands on the planet. Their guitar tone is more remisnicent of Iron Maiden (with blast beats) than say that of the whole detune staccato of Nu Metal.

Static-X - last 2 albums have been moosh but the earlier stuff is brilliant.

I could go on. Lamb of God (a throw back to Pantera and old school thrash in some respects). Killswitch Engage. Arch Enemy. Also to clarify these guys aren't nu metal. Rather bands since 2000.

System of a Down...

I used to have a very very narrow view of metal and most music in general... but being (almost) mid 30 I try to keep an open mind and take in a broader view.

My tastes if anything have gotten harder and heavier as I've gotten older too.

Good call aliasp

Dimmu Borgir - in about 3 months I have all their studio albums, their music is nothing short of some of the best I have heard ... period

Arch Enemy - Got Doomsday recently and that chick can really scream it out !!!!

Slipknot - At the risk of being flamed, I actually like this band - Joey's drumming is nothing short of brilliant

Iam finding myself getting into these European bands, great metal.

Agreed on Slipknot ThraxSA. They get a bum rap for being popular me thinks with the young metal kiddies (heck I am sure the old Zep/Sabbath boys felt the same about us thrashers during the 80s). Bittner (sp?) is an absolute monster on the drums for Slipknot and I could listen to that guy all day.

I enjoy em.

Back in '95ish when I first heard Korn I loved them. Then by '98 - '99 I hated them.
Now I can honestly say I like them. 12-13 years ago, they were very original. They had a unique sound that nobody had before, then the clonning began and every time you turned around there was a new Korn Clone band spouting up with the down tuned guitars, and hip hop beats and the whole image. (nu-metal)
So, Korn started the whole nu-metal shit wagon. But am I the only one here that said "thank fuck, something original, something heavy, something new" in the middle of the most borring musical period in history. Yeah there were some established band pumping out solid stuff. FNM, NIN, Anthrax, but over all the early - mid nineties was nothing but plaid and Doc Martens and songs about being depressed.

Agreed on Slipknot ThraxSA. They get a bum rap for being popular me thinks with the young metal kiddies (heck I am sure the old Zep/Sabbath boys felt the same about us thrashers during the 80s). Bittner (sp?) is an absolute monster on the drums for Slipknot and I could listen to that guy all day.

I enjoy em.

Jason Bittner plays for Shadow's Fall.

Joey Jordinson is the drummer for Slipknot.

i personally think this is shit along with death metal, black metal and basicly all metal that came out in the 2000's. So i am curious. How many people here actually enjoy listening to the cookie monster vocals and guitars that are so low it sounds like the same note?

How can you put Death Metal and Black metal in the same topic as hating nu metal? And Death/black is more talented and better then Thrash. :lol: