Nu-metal

It's not my favorie genre, but it's not all bad. I hate shit that's more rap than it is metal (ex: Limp Bizkit), but I love stuff like Slipknot (new stuff isn't really nu-metal though), Korn, Mudvayne (though new stuff is more hard rock/alt. metal), and Disturbed. I still prefer death/thrash/prog to nu-metal, though Slipknot is my favorite band.

Nu-metal is just another term for soft metal LOL!!!
Most nu-metal is pretty aggressive actually.

I must admit the new Slipknot kicks ass.
:kickass:

The new Slipknot isn't bad, though I may actually prefer their first two albums. The new Slipknot has a large range of aggression/heaviness. All Hope is Lost almost sounds death metal-ish, while other tracks almost sound like they could be songs by Alice in Chains and Tool (I forget the names of the specific songs). Not bad at all. My roommate also likes Mudvayne, so I've heard a lot of them, and I must say that I don't mind them either.

What I don't get is the usage of the term "nu-metal." I know where it came from and why it was used initially...but it's an ignorant term so why do people still use it? It's not metal, and nu-metal itself isn't a real genre.

Like, why call a band like Godsmack nu-metal when you can call them hard rock?
Agreed. It's a ridiculous term that (somehow) stuck - like 'stoner'. I'm hoping 'Neur-Isis' is a term that won't stick.

Anyways, the only nu-metal I still listen to occasionally is Mushroomhead, the album 'XIII' is pretty good. I also like the song 'Nothing to Gein', by Mudvayne. In fact, I think it's one of the best Ed Gein songs ever.

Also, I always thought SOAD were more punk than anything (their first few, at least). When I first heard them, they reminded me of the Dead Kennedys.

Didn't the term "nu-metal" come from someone calling a band that mixed rap and metal "urban metal" and it morphed into "nu-metal"? I think I read that somewhere.

Regardless, nu-metal sucks monkey ass.

Didn't the term "nu-metal" come from someone calling a band that mixed rap and metal "urban metal" and it morphed into "nu-metal"? I think I read that somewhere.

Regardless, nu-metal sucks monkey ass.

The term was originally used to describe Coal Chamber by some magazine in the mid-90's. Ignorantly of course, I'm sure it was likely meant to describe what was believed to have been the spark of a new wave of metal...because we all know that metal had completely died in the 90's right. :Smug:

I don't remember how, but it became nu-metal, proably because new metal just wasn't hip with the kids I guess.

Nu-metal is just another term for soft metal LOL!!!

That's an incredibly stupid thing to say. There's plenty of good metal out there that is considerably "soft" anyways.

People still use it because it became widely accepted. Whether it is ignorant or not is redundant. It is used to describe bands with a certain sound, a sound that has strong elements of metal in it. I think nu-metal is a much more apt term to use for bands like Korn etc than hard rock.

Whether that is redundant or not, to accept something based purely on ignorance is just stupid. Plenty of the bands who were labelled nu-metal shunned the title because it is ignorant and carries with it a negative connotation and total lack of understanding towards the bands' music. How many Korn songs or Slipknot songs actually make use of rap? In truth, not very many. The word is just as useless as the term mallcore.

Aside from very general and simplified charactistics, I don't think there's really any strong elements of metal to most nu-metal bands. Let's remember, nu-metal is a broad term that doesn't only apply to bands like Korn, or Slipknot...it's also used with Limp Bizkit, RHCP, Papa Roach and Linkin Park - where's the strong elements of metal here?

I kind of started with nu-metal... like lots of other people, I guess :p Slipknot were among my first favourite bands. I don't listen to it that much anymore, but I still like some bands - Slipknot, Korn, Ill Nino...

I also don't like All Hope Is Gone, it sounds too much like Stone Sour. Ok, I do like Stone Sour as well, but I think we don't need them in two different bands - I would have preferred old Slipknot/Iowa style...

Whether that is redundant or not, to accept something based purely on ignorance is just stupid. Plenty of the bands who were labelled nu-metal shunned the title because it is ignorant and carries with it a negative connotation and total lack of understanding towards the bands' music. How many Korn songs or Slipknot songs actually make use of rap? In truth, not very many. The word is just as useless as the term mallcore.

I agree, I think it's a stupid name for a sub-genre and it definitely carries negative connotations. Most bands who were/are tagged nu-metal do as much as they can to distance themselves from the name. But unfortunately it stuck somewhere along the line and now we're stuck with it.

Aside from very general and simplified charactistics, I don't think there's really any strong elements of metal to most nu-metal bands. Let's remember, nu-metal is a broad term that doesn't only apply to bands like Korn, or Slipknot...it's also used with Limp Bizkit, RHCP, Papa Roach and Linkin Park - where's the strong elements of metal here?

The standard nu-metal sound definitely has strong enough elements of metal to warrant the tag. Tuned down metal riffs, metal rhythms, screamed vocals etc are abundant. Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach and Linkin Park all started out as generic nu-metal bands and retained elements of that sound as they got lighter and more commercial. Linkin Park are pretty much a commercial pop/rock band these days though, I think they've all but shed their nu-metal roots and connotations. I've NEVER heard RHCP described as nu-metal. They are funk rock or something.

honestly this is one of the worst genres of music ever created... i'd rank it up there with Smooth Jazz

If you like nu metal you obviously need to go back to Africa where you belong.