nyc 2/23 setlist

how can you enjoy an opeth gig sitting down is beyond me.. i gotta be moving all over the place :D

JoeVice said:
i can't believe that the band are such assholes, that they won't read people's mind's and and compose the perfect setlist that will please everyone. i guess this is what happens when a band becomes more popular. they start trying to cater to the less important new fans by playing more songs off of their recent albums. or what, do the recent songs better represent the band and where they are musically?
pfffffft.

:lol: sarcasm rules! :headbang:

Wow is all I gotta say. lots of upset fans.
I'm going to see 'em for the first time tomorrow night, so anything not on the Lamentations DVD will be new. I've seen the set lists from the first few shows and this one. Hoping tonight's set list (viewed tomorrow) will give me a good solid feel for what tunes we'll see in RI.

Great rundown.
Thanks TheApostle

I really wonder why they're running away from playing Harlequin Forest live. The only albums they've played in their entirety live (excluding interludes) are Orchid, Still Life and Damnation, and it's also true that they only ever played 3 songs from Deliverance live, but that album only had 5 songs, not 8. I can even see why they don't play any of GR's soft songs, since they're more experimental, but why don't they play BtM or HF?

amen corner, gop, under the weeping moon were all played during the beginning of this american tour. example - cincinatti on 2/19

there was only one song never before played.

TheApostle said:
Also, whoever the kid was on the left in the balcony standing up for 10 minutes when everyone on that side was yelling "SIT THE FUCK DOWN" is a dumbass. Not only did he not realize they were talking to him, but he looked like a fucking idiot. Then some guy that looked like John Petrucci went down and yelled at him during "deliverance" and the whole balcony cheered when he came back to take a seat.

You saved the day Petrucci. You saved it.

HAHA that was fucking incredible
i was sitting right behind that retard... everyone was like "IM GUNNA FUCKING SLIT YOUR THROAT AFTER THE SHOW YOU FAGGOT SIT DOWN"
hilarious

froghawk said:
I really wonder why they're running away from playing Harlequin Forest live. The only albums they've played in their entirety live (excluding interludes) are Orchid, Still Life and Damnation, and it's also true that they only ever played 3 songs from Deliverance live, but that album only had 5 songs, not 8. I can even see why they don't play any of GR's soft songs, since they're more experimental, but why don't they play BtM or HF?

This is almost exactly what I've been saying from the beginning. Why play the same stuff you just played last tour? How many times can you play The Leper Affinity or Deliverance? There are other tracks from Deliverance (the last 2 especially) and why not play Harlequin Forest?

Just don't bill the show as being special with the setlist being mediocre. I'm still going next week to the Chicago show because I like Opeth a lot. Don't people think it's boring to hear Demon of the Fall live for the 5th time? When I go see Rush live and I hear Tom Sawyer (which they have to play) it makes me sick and it takes away from the song itself.

a rofl nazi said:
amen corner, gop, under the weeping moon were all played during the beginning of this american tour. example - cincinatti on 2/19

there was only one song never before played.

you obviously havent been reading the arguments that easily nullify what youve just said.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
you obviously havent been reading the arguments that easily nullify what youve just said.

You're right. He obviously hasn't. ; )

Should you repeat yourself again and should I repeat myself a fourth time??? :D

i thought the set was fucking awesome, esp. UTWM, NATSW, TAC, WC, LA... i think it was the best show i've ever seen... i was center in the loge and the sound was quite good from where i was. fairly balanced, tho' occasionally hard to hear per and peter.

Hey guys!

Glad some of ya liked it. I hear complaints about the setlist, that we didn't own up to the 4 songs never played in US before...well: Ghost of perdition, Under the weeping moon, The night and the silent water, The amen corner are those songs, that's around 45-50 minutes of material NEVER played there before. And we hadn't played Windowpane, Fair judgement, White cluster, Leper affinity. The Moringrise lovers I can totally understand you're upset we didn't play BRI but that will probaby never happen.

Too bad but I'm the same with gugs of my fave artists, I never get happy with the setlist, but this one was a "special" one in my book.

OK, hope some of you might appreciate more on the other shows.
Cheers
Mike

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
Hey guys!

Glad some of ya liked it.

*loved ;)

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
I hear complaints about the setlist, that we didn't own up to the 4 songs never played in US before...well: Ghost of perdition, Under the weeping moon, The night and the silent water, The amen corner are those songs, that's around 45-50 minutes of material NEVER played there before. And we hadn't played Windowpane, Fair judgement, White cluster, Leper affinity. The Moringrise lovers I can totally understand you're upset we didn't play BRI but that will probaby never happen.

Too bad but I'm the same with gugs of my fave artists, I never get happy with the setlist, but this one was a "special" one in my book.

Cheers
Mike

Cheers Mike. I had a great time. THANK YOU and all of Opeth for a monumental evening.

A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: "You fools! What is a Donkey for but to ride upon?"

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See that lazy youngster?.. He lets his father walk while he rides."

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."

Well, the Man didn't know what to do...but at last he took his Boy up with him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey with yourself and your hulking son?"

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought till at last they cut down a pole...tied the donkey's feet to it... and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge...when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together....was drowned.

"That will teach you," said an old man who had followed them:

"Please all... and you will please none."

Out.:Smug:

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
Hey guys!

Glad some of ya liked it. I hear complaints about the setlist, that we didn't own up to the 4 songs never played in US before...well: Ghost of perdition, Under the weeping moon, The night and the silent water, The amen corner are those songs, that's around 45-50 minutes of material NEVER played there before. And we hadn't played Windowpane, Fair judgement, White cluster, Leper affinity. The Moringrise lovers I can totally understand you're upset we didn't play BRI but that will probaby never happen.

Cheers
Mike

Mikael,

Did you really fuck up the Windowpane solo, or did you just change it?
And what the hell did that guy say to you in Swedish?

Other than that, thanks for an awesome night!

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
Cheers
Mike

off topic, but...if you want to use your regular account via the laptop "alt+0197" creates the "Å" :tickled:

...haha...this is such a useless reply

I am quite interested in hearing the setlists for the next chronology shows.

I'm a new member to the forums but I have some things I'd like to say.

I think some of you guys are blowing this out of proportion and being extremely disrespectful and unappreciative of Opeth just because they didn't play a couple songs. Think about things this way - You went to a concert that any fan of Opeth in North America love to attend and experience, and you're one of the only groups of people here in North America that will ever get the privilage to see so many great, classic, amazing songs live, some of which have never been played here before... And you're complaining and ungrateful about it? Also, there's no such thing as a bad Opeth song.

So what if you've seen Opeth a bunch of times before - do you think that the concert was any less than amazing for any Opeth fan who hasn't seen them 'nearly 10 times' or whatever some of you have? Just because a few of you have seen them a handfull of times they should play the songs that you specifically want to hear? Meanwhile they're playing more than a dozen songs for you guys to enjoy.

The worst part about this thread is that poor Mikael probably came on here to see what the fans were saying about the concert and probably felt hurt that there seemed to be so many unapreciative and upset fans because of all the whining in this thread. That's just not right to me and I wish that he could feel that they were fully appreciated.

Well Mikael if you come to read this again I hope you ignore these whiners and know that there's people who would kill to have the opportunity to be apart of a concert with such a good collection of songs here in NA!

Me and my friends are looking forward to seeing Opeth in Winnipeg, MB Canada in a few weeks and I'll enjoy every second of it.

nice to see a reply here, I would have just ignored most of this bullshit if I were in mike's shoes.

at the end of the day they played the night and the silent water live.. you guys got a hell of a deal there...