Off-Topic

I started playing bass about 6months ago without a teacher.Anyone got any advice?

So who's been watching the World Cup?
I've been supporting Spain the whole time, and I really want them to beat the Netherlands in the final.

I was pro Germany, Spain and Holland don't really deserve the finals, in my opinion.

But I'm rooting for Spain as it is, since my girlfriend wants it that way.

Did I just hear a whip crack?

What I will say has nothing to do with the worldcup, I have just something to ask :)

After hearing a few PM bands, I can say Theocracy is my favourite PM band ever.
The problem is that I don't know many PM bands, saw I looked for bands to compare (differences/similarities etc...).
Then I got the names of a few ones, but, before listening to them I wanted to ensure they're not ani-christian :p
I searched on Encyclopaedia Metallum the lyrical themes of some of these bands, and I was quite surprised when I saw religion (though Christianity is not really a religion : it's a relashionship with a living God, and has normally nothing to do with traditions etc...).
My question is : are they on the side "God is the good way, Satan and evil are NOT the way" or "KILL CHRISTIANS !".
The bands are : Angra, Altaria, Stratovarius, Kamelot.

I don't have time to read all the lyrics, and I didn't really catch the meaning of the ones I read.

When bands usually discuss "Religion" it's neither pro nor contra.

Those band's simply use the term as a subject of debate.
Some mention religion as a bad example of controlling the masses, some emphasise the positive sides of believing in a greater goal.
Some bands compare mans faith in himself or simply the greater good to religious faith, etc...

I'm gonna talk about Angra, solely.
Since it's been my favourite band since I was in junior high.

Angra's first vocalist Andre Matos is (in my opinion) a Christian, read the lyrics to Lisbon (an older Angra song) and Matos never offended Christianity, as I see it, since the band is Brasilian, Catholicism plays a great role in their lives and they couldn't neglect it, which is sort of a good thing.

The drummer Aquilles Priester who played on 3 albums is a great Christian since he thanked God in the band's booklets of albums.

Kiko Loureiro (who is in my opinion the greatest guitarist alive today) is openly against religion, as I've read it in some interview. I don't think he hates Christ but he dislikes the idea of mass control, I can't add anything else on his behalf.

Rafael Bittencourt is a mystery to me, but I've seen him thank God for his success on his website, both in the English and Portuguese versions.

Kiko and Rafael have written most of the band's material since 1991 up til now.

Felipe Andreoli is an atheist, or so I gather, by the books he reads and how he presents his life philosophy. In short he puts his faith into science. He plays bass on the last 3 albums + the one they're working on right now.

And last but not least, Edu Falaschi is the vocalist for the last 3 albums (+the one TBR). I remember reading in an interview some 2 years ago that he stated "Sure I believe in God, of course, but not as some mystical gray old man sitting in a throne up in the clouds but as an ever-present entity." He said something in that manner, although I wouldn't recommend accepting this quote. On a side-note Edu wears a large white cross on photo-shoots and while playing live.
He's a Christian, but I wouldn't actually say he's a Sunday church goer.

The band usually has small references to religion such as Lisbon which I've mentioned and there are some songs on Aurora Consurgens where Edu screams something in the vein of "God I need you".

The album that caused the most controversy is Temple of Shadows.

It's a story about a crusader that's being sent to the Holy Land to fight the Muslim invaders. It's a concept album of how he slaughters his enemies, then loses faith in his goal, then falls in love with a Muslim girl, etc.
He starts his own religion, which revolves around peace and love.

When asked about the concept, Rafael Bittencourt (the founder, guitarist and lyricist of the band) said it's not meant to attack or defend religion, rather that "it's just meant to make you stop and think". It's not to be taken lightly, just to puzzle your mind a little.

I believe it to be an album about religious wars and the ideas and philosophies behind them.

There was a time where I was angry at Angra for being so talented and brilliant and not using that skill to praise God, or mainly, I was angry for the controversy of Temple of Shadows which is in my opinion the best metal album ever.

There's a song called the Shadow Hunter which has some pretty messed up lines near the end, I'm still yet to discover if those lines praise God/Jesus, or diminish their worth.
(Look it up, you'll know which lines I'm referring to)

You can still send an email to the band or the members particularly and ask about their opinion on Christianity, I usually do that, but receive little feedback.

I'm kinda in a hurry right now, so I'll be sure to comment Stratovarius later this evening.

First, thanks a lot :)

There's a song called the Shadow Hunter which has some pretty messed up lines near the end, I'm still yet to discover if those lines praise God/Jesus, or diminish their worth.
Are you referring to these lines ?
"Jesus was a man

With a heart, with a mind
With a body, with a sould
So divine as your own

God has no mind, has no heart
Has no body, has no soul and no resemblance of you."

I don't know what it exactly means, the way it is put is a little bit confusing for me.
The way I see it is "Jesus was a man, divine, you are a man, divine, but God is not like you he is heartless, and isn't divine as he is not like". (I don't think it really means that though)
If I'm right (and I think I'm wrong :p), it's not biblical at all and says that man is better than God, and that it has no resemblance with God -and the scripture says that He made man in his image- ...

But I don't mind, I think I won't get into secular music (excepted a few -3- bands), I listened to some songs on youtube from Angra and other bands : some songs sounds good, others less good ; but I don't feel what I feel when I listen to Theocracy, though some songs have a powerfull/beautifull sound (like Kamelot - Center of the Unniverse).
Theocracy has something special : I'm so happy when I listen to it, I'm in peace, and it's somewhat special. Maybe because the songs were written/performed with the Holy Spirit. It's the only Metal band that gives me these feelings (though there are good Christian ones).
It difficult to express what it does on me, especially because English is not my native language :p

I have three Kamelot albums. I'd say they are neither Christian nor anti-Christian. Just secular. Their album The Black Halo, which is one of my all-time favorite power metal albums, is based loosely on Goethe's Faust.

Child Of God
I don't think you should exclude Angra from your Now Playing list since the band is an experience on it's own, it takes months to understand each musician perfectly.

Angra - Lisbon has some lines that portray Matos as a Christian, but not in the vein of showing off his religion, just adding some bits which he considers to be an everyday part of his life:
Everynight I say a prayer

Lord, light my way
Fill these withered, careless hands...

And I urge you to listen to Lisbon, it's one of their greater songs (imho).

I'll try to get in touch with Angra to further study the subject but I've had no such luck with that earlier.

Btw those lines in Shadow Hunter are related to the bible only by little.
I think it was meant to show how Jesus was also a man like every other human being and he wouldn't condone the slaughter that's happening between the crusaders and Muslim armies. "The Shadow Hunter" or the main protagonist of the concept sort of created a human religion (in other words hippie trend) and the song distances the great religions (Christianity, Islam, etc) through the word God from human relations through the word Jesus. I don't think it's an insult to religion, it's just meant to make you think (R. Bittencourt).

You must listen to the whole album, it's more than you'd expect.

I've discovered that if you want to eat standard M&Ms in order of brightness, from darkest to lightest, you must eat them in the order brown-blue-red-green-orange-yellow.

If you want to eat them in order of hue, you must eat them in the order brown-red-orange-yellow-green-blue.

Just thought you'd want to know this.

---Prem