Official "Sports" thread

And 0-0 Algeria vs. England. That was oddly unsatisfying.

Tomorrow's matches! I won't be able to watch any of them live, because I'll be at an all day conference. But I can still share the schedule with the rest of the class.

1. Netherlands vs. Japan
2. Ghana vs. Australia
3. Cameroon vs. Denmark

Yup, it ended as a tie. Good for Slovenia, great for England, horrible for the US.

No it's not... England tied. U.S. advances now with a win over Algeria, since England only has... 1 goal. =)

Also, they should have won. The referee still hasn't submitted to FIFA where exactly that foul he called that disallowed the goal was committed. Bad fucken call.

No it's not... England tied. U.S. advances now with a win over Algeria, since England only has... 1 goal. =)

Also, they should have won. The referee still hasn't submitted to FIFA where exactly that foul he called that disallowed the goal was committed. Bad fucken call.

Perhaps if you'd read the time on which I posted that, you'd noticed it was before England's match. I was counting on England's victory….

I saw a replay of the US's "third goal", it was definitely legal, the US should've won. Pretty good comeback, to be losing 2-0 and to almost win 3-2.

Even though I already know the score, I'm going to spend a luxurious evening in with some tea, ice cream, a trashy novel, and the replay of the Ghana vs. Australia match. CBC Vancouver replays all their games in the evening. I truly know how to party.

Also, interesting note about the World Cup and my job, of all things. At work, we run a lot of automated tests over a network. They started running slower...and slower...and s l o w e r.... So, we complained. The cause of the problem? So many people are streaming World Cup games on their computers that it's bogging down the network. So now we don't kick off our tests until 1pm our time, when the third match of the day ends. I'm sure the network folk are going to be glad when WC is over with!

And, oh hey! Tomorrow's schedule!

1. Slovakia vs. Paraguay
2. Italy vs. New Zealand
3. Brazil vs. Côte d’Ivoire

:( :( they really didn't play, at all.

England is like Spain... always have an overwhelmingly good roster on paper, always find a way to fuck it up.

Germany and Brazil are the anti-England and anti-Spain. No matter who's on their roster, they always manage to get to at least the quaterfinals before going down, and usually they're in the finals or the semis.

France is... the schizo country. Last four performances? Won the WC, failed to score a goal, made the finals, and now... failed to score a goal (provisionally).

England is like Spain... always have an overwhelmingly good roster on paper, always find a way to fuck it up.

Germany and Brazil are the anti-England and anti-Spain. No matter who's on their roster, they always manage to get to at least the quaterfinals before going down, and usually they're in the finals or the semis.

France is... the schizo country. Last four performances? Won the WC, failed to score a goal, made the finals, and now... failed to score a goal (provisionally).

I don't think Spain played that bad, but England's game was simply horrendous! Argelia should be proud, such a lousy team getting a tied with an…almost equally lousy one. I think England and Spain can still classify, let's see how it goes.

France isn't the same without Zidane and Bartez, so I don't follow them. And Thierry Henry used his hand, so sucks to that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLn-X8YJRg&feature=digest"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLn-X8YJRg&feature=digest[/ame]

Cameroon is officially out, and Netherlands advances to the next level, to the Round of 16. Japan plays Denmark to decide the second team to advance from Group E.

now playing italy-new zealand 1-1
denti.gif
denti.gif
denti.gif

edit: what a shameful match! italy played like shit!

Tomorrow's matches!

1. Portugal vs. North Korea
2. Chile vs. Switzerland
3. Spain vs. Honduras

I'm bummed that I'll miss march 1, but I'll be able to catch part of 2 before I head to work. And 3 at work of course, doing my part to cripple my job's network infrastructure, one streamed match at a time.

It is a strange WC indeed! The expectations most of the people had from the big countries are not the way it is now. I'm excited what we will do on thirsday versus Cameroon. Till now we were not that great and we had a lot of luck.
Italy suprised me big time! Just saw the match yesterday and noticed even the penalty for the Italians was not justified.
Also saw Brazil who played a great match. Also the first match where both played beautyful! :)

It would have been 3-2 USA, but the US guy was called out as 'offsides'. This is causing a MASSIVE kerfluffle in the USA, because everyone thinks that the ref blew the call.

Ah, the things I miss on the train to work...

I just want to say that it's not just in the US that people think that call was blown. I watched that on the BBC and every single person who looked at that call said that there was nothing there. The Slovenians could've been called on three penalties, the US was pretty much clean and the guy who came in to score was absolutely 100% clean and was DEFINITELY not offsides. FIFA may sit him down but it doesn't get our points back. We were robbed.

@Lefay82: the reason everyone hates Italy, as I understand it, is that they think Italy plays cheap football. The dive in the box against New Zealand was a perfect example of that. On Twitter the response was basically "What? An Italian diving in the box to get a penalty shot? I never!" Still, I don't hate the Italians. Plus, they won last time around, let someone else have a chance. ;) I do, however, hate Ronaldo. He must've taken 5 dives in the first game I saw Portugal play. What a petulant child.

That said, I'm super happy about this World Cup. Big upsets make me happy, honestly. Probably 'cause I've grown up cheering for the US who had their best result from a tournament ever in 2009 when we collapsed in the second half against Brazil in the Confederations Cup. I love cheering for underdogs and seeing the big dogs losing and hearing their fans whine. ;)

YES! Chile beats Switzerland 1-0! I was rooting for Chile...

And I really want to see the NK-Portugal match, where Portugal beat NK 7-0. That's gotta hurt...

YES! Chile beats Switzerland 1-0! I was rooting for Chile...

And I really want to see the NK-Portugal match, where Portugal beat NK 7-0. That's gotta hurt...

Oh, the North Koreans play with such heart. Loved their game against Brazil. Wish they would've won, actually. I feel a bit bad for their striker. And now that they lost so bad, that means that Ivory Coast is out as well. In order for them to win they'd have to get the three points and score *9* goals. Holy shit.

Watching Spain play right now. Honduras is out-fucking-classed, here. So much obviously the better team. Hoping that Chile knocks Spain out :lol:. :popcorn:

@Lefay82: the reason everyone hates Italy, as I understand it, is that they think Italy plays cheap football. The dive in the box against New Zealand was a perfect example of that. On Twitter the response was basically "What? An Italian diving in the box to get a penalty shot? I never!" Still, I don't hate the Italians. Plus, they won last time around, let someone else have a chance. ;) I do, however, hate Ronaldo. He must've taken 5 dives in the first game I saw Portugal play. What a petulant child.

i saw last match and i perfectly know it was horrible!
but still i think they can play better than how they did! i'm not a football expert, but what i saw last afternoon was a really bad italy!
it's a shame they even the score with a team like new zealand, and that the only goal was given by a penalty shot. on the other hand zealand's goal was not regular, it was offside, so in the end, the right score for the match would have been 0-0
italy tried to do a lot of goals, they attacked a lot but without any result. only one time they risked to do a goal, but they was unlucky because they hit the goalpost from the inner side and the ball took a strange rotation and didn't go inside as it was supposed to happen.
new zealand did only one good action and they was able to do a goal, and that's really embarassing!!!! :guh:
the advantage of new zealand's players is that they are really tall, and even if italy did a lot of corner kicks, italian players weren't able to do anything to hit the ball with the head jumping in the air... what i think is that they made a big mistake using this kind of strategy, you know you're smaller, and you can't persist to throw the ball in the goal area, because you will never be able to contend it to the other team. they kicked at least 10 corner kicks in this way and no one turned into a goal.