Official "Sports" thread

I declared to coworkers on Monday that "well, the World Cup really doesn't matter this time, because Norway isn't in it."

They stared at me like I had 3 heads. I would really like it if some country that normally just is horrid at football somehow blows through everyone else, and wins. That would be *oustanding*.

I declared to coworkers on Monday that "well, the World Cup really doesn't matter this time, because Norway isn't in it."

They stared at me like I had 3 heads. I would really like it if some country that normally just is horrid at football somehow blows through everyone else, and wins. That would be *oustanding*.

:p

Ah well the U.S. managed to make it to the next round.

But now I have an incredible dilemma because the next round is England vs. Germany. Who should I root for, I've no idea. Both :p ?

Oh hey, we're back.

OMG WHAT A FUCKING GAME. USA vs. Algeria had me excited nearly the entire time. I did indeed leave my place at 6:30 am to get to a local World Cup loving coffee shop at 7am, and my loyalty was rewarded. Delicious espresso drinks that were hand pressed, great pastries, a packed room with a couple of TVs on to watch the game, and the sole goal that was good? Made by USA in the 91st minute of play. USA finishes at the TOP of their group, and move on with England to the Round of 16.

Consequently, my Saturday's schedule is completely changed so I can watch USA play again.

Tomorrow's schedule:

1. Paraguay vs. New Zealand - 24 Jun 4:00pm (South Africa Time)
2. Slovakia vs. Italy - 24 Jun 4:00pm (South Africa Time)
3. Cameroon vs. Netherlands - 24 Jun 8:30pm (South Africa Time)
4. Denmark vs. Japan - 24 Jun 8:30pm (South Africa Time)

WOW!...What a surprise!...Slovakia scored!....Italy will be out?

I wouldn't write Italy off quite yet, but yeah, they're definitely not playing better than Slovakia at this point. I'd go so far as to say that SVK deserves the game up to this point.

OMG WHAT A FUCKING GAME. USA vs. Algeria had me excited nearly the entire time. I did indeed leave my place at 6:30 am to get to a local World Cup loving coffee shop at 7am, and my loyalty was rewarded. Delicious espresso drinks that were hand pressed, great pastries, a packed room with a couple of TVs on to watch the game, and the sole goal that was good? Made by USA in the 91st minute of play. USA finishes at the TOP of their group, and move on with England to the Round of 16.

God, I was so tense. I wasn't excited, it was almost fucking painful. That final goal just had me soooooo excited, but it was just like a big tension release. It was really amazing. Hope the Ghana game is good for us.

:p

Ah well the U.S. managed to make it to the next round.

But now I have an incredible dilemma because the next round is England vs. Germany. Who should I root for, I've no idea. Both :p ?

Hm, I think that it's going to be a great game.

we are loosing 2-0....goodbye to the word cup.
it's right, we played like shit and we deserve it!

we are out...

Yes, yes, yes! :D

Look, they deserve it, what a horrible team! They didn't deserve the previous cup, and they didn't deserve to be in the next round. I was watching the game, and, not counting some moments at the end of the game, the Italian team played horribly. Just look at Slovakia's second goal, what a horrible goal-keeper :lol: . And it pissed me off that they wanted to pick up the ball after the second goal: FIFA regulations state that players can't do that. Besides that the guy hit the keeper, so I'm glad the latter punched him, it was well deserved.

At least it wasn't as shameful as France :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Italian journalist Gabriele Marcotti:

"Expectations were low, about as low as they can be for defending world champions. The first 45 mins today were just so abject I think everyone will agree it's time to tear up the script and start over. It wasn’t a discipline problem, it was an ability problem and a performance problem."

it's going to get more bizarro...

USA, South Korea, Uruguay, Ghana. One of those teams is going to make the the semifinals. They're in the same bracket!

Smart money is on Uruguay or the USA. Anything can happen, though, it's not like South Korea and Ghana can't beat either team.

How strange it is that on paper, the USA has the better team of the four. USA soccer has come a long way from 20 years ago, that's for sure.

it's going to get more bizarro...

USA, South Korea, Uruguay, Ghana. One of those teams is going to make the the semifinals. They're in the same bracket!

Smart money is on Uruguay or the USA. Anything can happen, though, it's not like South Korea and Ghana can't beat either team.

How strange it is that on paper, the USA has the better team of the four. USA soccer has come a long way from 20 years ago, that's for sure.

It makes me happy. I know it makes a lot of people nervous, but if you think about how much better we've gotten and the way that the game is picking up it makes me really happy. Uruguay, for my money, is still the best team in the group. Suarez and Forlan are good, good players who have done remarkably well. Ghana I think the US can beat, but they have tough defense.

Uruguay on the other hand.. yeah. We'll have to see. I know a lot of Americans are getting all stupid about this and hopping on the bandwagon, but anyone who has watched them play will not be so ridiculously illogical as to claim that we have some kind of easy march to the semis.

Oh right, and then the semis happen. And then we're fucking toast.. :lol: Though, cheering for the USA all the way. A good bid may land us the cup again in 2018 or 2022. That would be pretty awesome. Apparently that's why Bill Clinton was there (according to fotbollskanalen.se in any case).