Oh my god!

Belial

Rainbow Demon
Nov 18, 2001
Shoikan Grove
jason.storiesfrom.us
Today I got into an argument with my oldest bro's girlfriend about metal and she claims that In Flames rips off of Metallica, saying that Moonshield, and other songs is almost identical to some Metallica song she heard. She even went so far as to claim Opeth bit Metallica's style.

But then again, my family thinks that all metal goes back to Metallica in some way, shape, or form, so I should have expected this. :rolleyes:

No,ALL metal goes back to BLACK SABBATH which is why I find it absolutely ridiculous when I see someone post on here that ozzy isn't metal.You should be ashamed of yourself for even THINKING something as foolish as that.However I do agree that the ozzfest is getting weaker every year. Especially when you have a guitar GOD like zakk wylde getting only 25 minutes playing time and letting some no talent bunny metal band like crazytown get close to an hour....Major bullshit if you ask me!

Originally posted by Triumphant Apostle
No,ALL metal goes back to BLACK SABBATH which is why I find it absolutely ridiculous when I see someone post on here that ozzy isn't metal.You should be ashamed of yourself for even THINKING something as foolish as that.However I do agree that the ozzfest is getting weaker every year. Especially when you have a guitar GOD like zakk wylde getting only 25 minutes playing time and letting some no talent bunny metal band like crazytown get close to an hour....Major bullshit if you ask me!

...which is why I won't be making my presence at anymore Ozzfests for a while unless they make some serious changes.

I have thesame problem with a lot of my buddies here in Canada. During high school I too enjoyed listening to Metallica and Iron Maiden, but even at that time I enjoyed listening to music that was a little harder to find. The problem is that by reading the promotional material for bands like Metallica, they don't mention any contemporaries that have broadened the scope of the metal genre.
So people aren't exposed to it.
And these guys here are fuckin stuck recycling their old Metallica tapes and Maiden tapes, cause there is nothing quality coming out any more, and the only new music they've heard about is the stuff on Ozzfest. It's saddening in a way.

Of course I try to get them into stuff like Opeth and Hollenthon, but they're just not ready for it. It's like eating meat and potatoes everynight for years and years, and then switching to burritos.:eek: And the folks who can't even get into meat and potatoes have even less of a basis from which to judge the burrito.
It's a shame that the world in general fails to recognize the great things that have happened in metal since the 80's (although it's possible that these things have been allowed to happen because of the lack of scrutiny from the public eye, and a freedom from the economical pressures which govern the pop world)

Anyway, before I ramble of on another tangent...
When all they know is Metallica, it's hard to look beyond, without making an effort to understand metal, this is all they will know.

Originally posted by Triumphant Apostle
I find it absolutely ridiculous when I see someone post on here that ozzy isn't metal.

His metalness is irrelevant, because he sucks. Worst voice EVER, with runner up being that Sacred Squeal guy.

Sabbath's influence from those times can be attributed to Iommi, Butler, and Ward, not that screeching muckhead. Any one of a million people could have filled that slot, but nooooooooo, they had to be friends with Ozzy. UGH

Flame on!

Originally posted by Belial
Today I got into an argument with my oldest bro's girlfriend about metal and she claims that In Flames rips off of Metallica, saying that Moonshield, and other songs is almost identical to some Metallica song she heard. She even went so far as to claim Opeth bit Metallica's style.

But then again, my family thinks that all metal goes back to Metallica in some way, shape, or form, so I should have expected this. :rolleyes:

she a little bit too much metallica maniac...opeth have nothing to do with metallica !

is it my idea or every fan of Metallica gets obsessed with the band? all of those people i've met won't listen to anything else.. it's annoying :(

I personally judge music on a band by band basis.I refuse to listen to one particular type of metal. I have over 800 cd's and here are some examples of my diversity-Metallica/Satyricon/Slipknot/Aerosmith/Dark tranquillity/Opeth/Led Zeppelin/Tool/Children Of Bodom/Lacuna Coil/Slayer/Dio/Dimmu Borgir/Hed(pe)/Borknagar/Moonspell/Iron Maiden/Overkill/Death/In Flames/Sentenced/Corrosion of Conformity etc.etc....I could go on forever....You don't have to confine yourself to one particular type within the genre.But if that is what you chose to do, why then does the person feel the need to criticize what other people listen to??? Yes I personally cannot stand crazytown,but my biggest bitch with ozzfest this year was again a band getting nearly an hour when THEY ONLY HAVE ONE GODDAMN ALBUM! Zakk wylde has four of them including BLS and he gets 25 minutes? The nu-metal thing is a fad that will die out just as all trends do and the bands that actually had talent in that genre(I listed the only one I feel does with Hed pe Unless you consider System of A Down nu metal!)will continue to have success and the others will fall by the wayside. I do wish ozzy would take bands from all types within metal like having say Opeth and Dimmu Borgir represent extreme metal(!!) and other bands from within each genre as well so everyone gets something from the particular type(s) they happen to listen to...By the way I skipped Milwaukee Metalfest this year due to the fact that their bill was looking pretty thin as well.Would have liked to have seen Soilwork though! Just some thoughts.......

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

Sabbath's influence from those times can be attributed to Iommi, Butler, and Ward

I agree with this for the most part but I guess I give him alot of credit for finding Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde..How the hell does he find these guys????Like him or not he was a part of Sabbath and should be respected for that. Oh and in my opinon the worst vocalist of all time award goes to geddy lee from rush...Great bassist but I can't stand those vocals!

is it my idea or every fan of Metallica gets obsessed with the band? all of those people i've met won't listen to anything else.. it's annoying

Immature Metallica fans are like that. I was like that when i started to like metallica ( i was like 10 or 11 ) and stayed like that a big deal of time about 2 years then i started to get into pantera sepultura and Brujeria and then i got to know Carcass and Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel and well the rest is history. Im not ashamed that i was one of such traumatized fans, difference is that i was a fucking 11 year old and eventually grew up, to be a 16 year old that is the mental age i think i have, but nevertheless grew up...then again some people never do and most important most of the people never grows up musically speaking.s

you know, belial, you always sound like you and your family couldn't be more different, but i don't know ANY black people who know who metallica is.

Alrighty, this brings up a sore point for Jeff (so sore, that I even refer to myself in the 3rd person to prove how pissed I am!)...

Actual (I SWEAR!!!!!!) conversation from last night:

my friend was driving and flipping through stations, when he got to 105.3, San Diego's cesspool of nu-metal idiocy. And what was on? CARNAL fucking FORGE by CARCASS!!!!!!!!!!! I was both pissed and excited to hear them on the radio...
me:holy shit! Thats Carcass...what the fuck is carcass doing on the radio? TURN IT UP!!!!!
paul (my friend): no, I cant stand this shit....why are they playing some pussy 80's band anyway?
me: what?
paul:you said this is Krokus right?
me (giggling hysterically): NO THIS IS FUCKING CARCASS! One of the greatest DM bands ever!
paul: They sound like they're ripping of Disturbed and Slipknot a little. (he said this in the middle of a Steer solo)
me: what the fuck are you talking about? This album is 8 years old!
paul: whatever
me: I can't believe people think this sounds like shit like Korn!
paul: Korn's the shit and you know it!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS..............................?