Opeth And Age Groups?

For one, the younger generation aren't exposed to much of Opeth because it isn't commercial..... and it also may be musically/conceptually out of their grasp.

It isn't commercial in a sense that it's radio friendly music, but the internet makes their music much more accessible.
Most teens that are fans of metal should know who Opeth is.
Your second point in general is more likely.

The last Opeth show I went I did some fan gazing.
I was surprised at how many more mature fans were there.
I'd say a third of the crowd was 25 to 50 years of age.

18, been listening since I was 12, I dont consider myself to be "young" and I really cannot relate to the younger fans that have been discribed so far in this post.

I cant tell, ive only been to one Opeth show (last Munich gig. fuckin awesome!), but the crowd there was really diverse. right next to me (18) stood a girl (i dont know, anywhere from 16 to 20) and her mom (! a real mom. like, chabby, and all motherly) both headbanging and really into it. Outsie the venue stood a father (40-45) and his kid (probably 5-7). I was amazed to see this kind diversity, and so many girls. didnt see that one coming.

Yeah, I noticed that too. But I have to say, I also saw them in Munich in 2005, and the audience has become slightly younger.

I played the "Soldier Of Fortune"-cover to my parents recently, and since they grew up listening to Deep Purple, they were totally into it.
My mom also heard "Burden" the other day, and she loved it. She´s almost 50 now. That generation-meeting thing is really interesting with Opeth.

Yeah, I noticed that too. But I have to say, I also saw them in Munich in 2005, and the audience has become slightly younger.

I played the "Soldier Of Fortune"-cover to my parents recently, and since they grew up listening to Deep Purple, they were totally into it.
My mom also heard "Burden" the other day, and she loved it. She´s almost 50 now. That generation-meeting thing is really interesting with Opeth.

Maybe you have become older and everyone seems younger. It happens!

Hey thanks for the responses guys! The main reason I asked is because most metal bands like Opeth don't last that long. Don't get me wrong, I really like Opeth (especially their singles, obviously :p) but a lot of medieval metal bands like Opeth don't last long in the big scheme! I am thrilled to know that Opeth have been around a long time, maybe I'll check out Ghost Reverse soon.

I know you are new to Opeth, but can't help to find this a bit irritating:
"Especially their singles, obviously"???????
"Ghost Reverse"?

Do check them out though, their 'singles' are not the best that is out there.

I'm 'older' I am 30, I really appreciate Opeth as well as a lot of older stuff...Jethro Tull.

Age is nothing. I'm 52 and I'm a big fan - got all cd's and dvd's. My fiancée is 42 and loves them too. My son - who introduced them to me - is 27.

We went - all the three of us - and saw them two weeks ago. Awesome gig!!