Opeth And Enslaved...Who Represents Prog Metal Better?

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
After hearing the new albums from Opeth and Enslaved, WATERSHED and VERTEBRAE respectively, it's clear that after all these years, these two bands are STILL putting out quality music and are still the leaders of their genres.

Who represents it better?

Or am I comparing apples to oranges?

I'm going to be extremely biased here because I have listened to Opeth way more than enslaved. With that being said...Opeth. I mean, by the "prog" definition, I think Opeth brings more influences to the table, and also pulls them off amazingly well.

progressive in terms of making long songs that have no transitions whatsoever iyam? definitely watershed.
prog in terms of mellotrons etc? vertebrae.

According to the last albums,I will stick to Opeth.Vertebrae is completely a transition album.I think Enslaved has reached its peak with Isa.That album is fukkin' crazy.
Watershed is more complete than Vertebrae I think,I still have desire to listen Watershed but I haven't listened Vertebrae for a month lately.But still I think both bands will be doing better with their new releases (I hope),yes,I have big expectations. :D

I never listened to Enslave.

That being said, can anyone recommend some albums of theirs for me? I want to get acquainted with their music since I will be seeing them open for Opeth and whatnot.

That being said, can anyone recommend some albums of theirs for me? I want to get acquainted with their music since I will be seeing them open for Opeth and whatnot.

Well,Ruun and their last offering Vertebrae are close to Opeth a bit,the rest is totally different.I will first suggest Isa,it is a fantastic album.Afterwards you can look at Below The Lights and Eld.If you are into Black Metal,start with Vikinligr Veldi or Frost.

Calling Enslaved and Opeth "Prog Metal" i.e. lumping them in with the likes of Dream Theatre and Symphony X is perhaps an insult.

I think Opeth is better for prog metal, at least how I define prog metal. Both bands are amazing though.

I noticed many people said they appreciate Isa the most from Enslaved. I like Ruun the best. What do you all like more about Isa?

Also, are there other bands with a similar sound to Opeth and Enslaved? I haven't really found any, but I would love to.

Opeth and Enslaved are both very different bands. They're different for many reasons but I'll give a simple one. Opeth are based on the agression of Death metal and stuff while Enslaved are based on Black metal... There is nothing more simple then this.

My favorite Enslaved albums are RUUN, Monumension, and Vertebrae. But you really can't go wrong with Isa or Below the Lights either, I just don't like them as well as the other three I mentioned. I'm fairly new to Enslaved myself, as Vertebrae was the first album I heard.

Back to the topic, I think they both equally represent prog metal. I personally prefer Opeth over Enslaved, but then again I tend to like Death Metal a little better than black metal. It all depends on your perspective.

enslaved are incredible. while i like opeth more (just) enslaved have put together a sound that comes from all these classic bands like opeth has, but has developed and refined the sound further than opeth. enslaved are truly different.