Opeth - Black Metal to Death Metal?

ah, i agree totaly with brooks. dimmu fuckin borgir is not black metal for christs sake, and if you insist on saying it is, ill tell you that they are trying to market themselves as black metal, towords kids in this forum (theres a lot of dimmu fans here). and all of you have a couple of things really, very mixed up, like your disturbing misconceptions of genre's. black metal IS defined by the way they play, and how they sound, not just their "style" (black metal is a definite genre). see now, gothic is a style, not sound, because you cant easily group gothic bands together, since theres doom metal bands like my dying bride with gothic leanings, as well as many black metal bands with some gothic sounds thrown in. also their cover art and other things decide wether they can be called gothic, but its never enough to just catergorize a band as gothic.

yeah... the whole "vocals define the genre" is pretty widespread now. i let my friend listen to a Bloodbath song and all he could say was "this is awful, it sounds like cannibal corpse". And that is a pretty shallow evaluation considering a) it doesn't sound like cannibal corpse; and b) it doesn't sound like cannibal corpse.

people that say Creed are a Pearl Jam rip off band really bite me too (i hate creed, but thats irrelevant); because at times the creed singer "sounds like ed vedder". their music styles are worlds apart, but because the singer "sounds like singer XXX", thats what the band sound like. bah.

the same mate said godsmack sound like metallica. i don't remember hearing alot of pointless shredding and macho rock-star attitude coming through in the last godsmack album i had a listen to. (i hate godsmack too, but again, irrelevant.)

yea, and people who tell me coal chamber don't sound like korn. i hate them. them people. sure Mr. WhatEVerTheFuckMyNameis from coal chamber doesn't sing in a whinny-brat-nasaly-voice like jonathan davis, but if you took the vocals out of Loco i could tell ya Korn wrote it and yad believe me. I hate Korn and coal chamber too. again, irrelevant.

- ham.

btw, what was the pink floyd guitarist's name. he's awesome.

well what can you expect, ham? in the pop-rock world, a band relies on the vocalist. without it, songs would just be four minutes of the same 4 chords played in whole notes.

technically, in the rock world, a vocalist does define a band.

but in the metal world, it's different, since vocals are generally take second stage to instrumentation.

but no, opeth are not black metal. they had neither the sound, the atonality, the lyrics, the vocals, nor the overall style to be called black metal.

putting them in the 'century black' label was a misnomer and a mistake.

Originally posted by ham
yeah... the whole "vocals define the genre" is pretty widespread now. i let my friend listen to a Bloodbath song and all he could say was "this is awful, it sounds like cannibal corpse". And that is a pretty shallow evaluation considering a) it doesn't sound like cannibal corpse; and b) it doesn't sound like cannibal corpse.

people that say Creed are a Pearl Jam rip off band really bite me too (i hate creed, but thats irrelevant); because at times the creed singer "sounds like ed vedder". their music styles are worlds apart, but because the singer "sounds like singer XXX", thats what the band sound like. bah.

the same mate said godsmack sound like metallica. i don't remember hearing alot of pointless shredding and macho rock-star attitude coming through in the last godsmack album i had a listen to. (i hate godsmack too, but again, irrelevant.)

yea, and people who tell me coal chamber don't sound like korn. i hate them. them people. sure Mr. WhatEVerTheFuckMyNameis from coal chamber doesn't sing in a whinny-brat-nasaly-voice like jonathan davis, but if you took the vocals out of Loco i could tell ya Korn wrote it and yad believe me. I hate Korn and coal chamber too. again, irrelevant.

- ham.

btw, what was the pink floyd guitarist's name. he's awesome.

Everything you just said runs through my mind everytime the subject of music comes up. I don't like any of those bands either, but I know that I thought that Coal Chamber's "Loco" sounded like anything Korn has created. ANd GOD DO I HATE CREED! Eddie Vedder, a good singer. ASshole from creed, sings the same fucking thing in the same way every fucking song.

Originally posted by Silver Incubus

Everything you just said runs through my mind everytime the subject of music comes up. I don't like any of those bands either, but I know that I thought that Coal Chamber's "Loco" sounded like anything Korn has created. ANd GOD DO I HATE CREED! Eddie Vedder, a good singer. ASshole from creed, sings the same fucking thing in the same way every fucking song.

bah! vedder is a hack! he warbles like he's perpetually on a sybian machine.

To be honest, I thought Orchid sounded like black metal when I first heard it. However, this was a while back and I knew little about metal at the time. I just thought that since it sounded dark, (but not dark enough for gothic) had great harmonies, was progressive, and had a distinct melodic sound, it would be considered black metal. This was the first Opeth album i heard and I thought all death metal was crap since I had never heard Opeth's newer music and some other quality death metal bands. I had never heard about doom metal before so the closest match was black metal. Now I think of it more as Progressive black doomdeath, since it is a mixture of all these elements (and some other ones too) and it seems to be the only way to describe it, as it fits into no category in particular.

technically, in the rock world, a vocalist does define a band.

but in the metal world, it's different, since vocals are generally take second stage to instrumentation.

food for thought... i've been searching for a way to make that differentiation..

vedder's no hack, he sings passionately, and i often find his lyrics 50x more insightful than anything else deemed radio-worthy by the pop-rock world. besides tool.

i bought still life today. only one place in perth that has it. :(

the "this sounds like cannibal corpse" thing still holds true. my friend said the same thing about fear factory's older material, with Burton's vox being far more gutteral than they were to become. he had a pretty cool growl actually.

*sigh* im sitting in an HTML class... fuck this is boring.

- ham

Genre's, how stupid are they eh?

I call Dimmu black metal, and i call all that other stuff black metal as well, but in my mind i think of them as completely different styles of black metal, similar to how theres numerous different styles of punk or progressive metal. But whatever, it doesnt matter what people call anything, as long as you can communicate your thoughts.

Opeth fits into the "Good Music" genre, simple as that!

Why try to put a label on everything?
How about .... Metal. Period.
Life is stupid & confusing enough as it is
:lol: