Opeth- house hold name?

shark22

RuffRyda
Oct 18, 2004
How many of you think that Opeth is getting to be very well known and maybe approaching the fame level of say an band like System of a Down or Slipknot. I am not trying to compare these bands in any way but merely comparing a level of fame they may share. I am just curious as to what everyone else thinks about this opeth being more and more well known and how much. I honestly think that if you mention them to a group of people at least one person will know what you are talking about. What do you all think?

Opeth are far from being a houshold name. Remember. Opeth is still a death metal band :). Even bands like SOAD, etc, arn't what you'd call houshold names. Reserve that POP bands that play on top 40 hit-loop stations.

Saphira said:
...And it was also a bit of a stupid question.. :err:
A question a million times stupider than this one would have to be the "Whats your favorite song" type threads. Cmon what the hell are you thinking dude...

shark22 said:
How many of you think that Opeth is getting to be very well known and maybe approaching the fame level of say an band like System of a Down or Slipknot. I am not trying to compare these bands in any way but merely comparing a level of fame they may share.

You have to compare the music (and the fanbase) in order to see if they will rise to the same level of fame. Bit of an insult.
Other wise it would be like comparing Cannibal Corpse to Willie Nelson. Get it?

shark22 said:
How many of you think that Opeth is getting to be very well known and maybe approaching the fame level of say an band like System of a Down or Slipknot. I am not trying to compare these bands in any way but merely comparing a level of fame they may share. I am just curious as to what everyone else thinks about this opeth being more and more well known and how much. I honestly think that if you mention them to a group of people at least one person will know what you are talking about. What do you all think?

Your a fucking idiot.... no offence :D

To sound like a broken record and piss everyone off...

...soad and slipknot are sold at walmart.

Thank you, and goodnight!

I think they are. I see at least as many Opeth shirts at uni as i do Slipknot or SOAD shirts, if that is any indication. I think Opeth is one of, if not the most popular metal bands around today, along with arch enemy, cradle of filth, and probably in flames.

No dude, Opeth is not a household name.

Go to ten random houses knocking doors and you ask the person that answers the door if they know who Opeth is. If at least six out of those people from those ten houses say they know who Opeth is then it would be valid to say that Opeth has become a household name. If a few reply yes, then it could mean that there on there way to obtaining that title. Otherwise no.

Opeth are too unique and uncompromising in musical style to ever become fully accepted by the mainstream, therefore i don't believe they will ever become a houshold name.

Mumblefood said:
I think Opeth is one of, if not the most popular metal bands around today, along with arch enemy, cradle of filth, and probably in flames.

I totally disagree. Compare the worldwide album sales to SOAD or Slipknot or something and you'll notice there's a BIG difference. Local popularity of course depends on the place you live in, I don't know how the scene is in Canada, but I doubt that any of those bands are even in the top 10 most popular metal bands.

Oh yeah, and on the original subject:
I don't know how popular Opeth may come, their recent popularity at least screams: "do not underestimate the audience!" I am quite surprised they are even this big.
But if I'd have to guess, I'd say they won't reach the Metallica heights of success.

Opeth? Household name?

In truth, 99% of metal acts are NEVER household names. You need to be a pop star to be a household name. A pop star can be on the entertainment TV shows, be followed by papparazzi, get in garbage magazines, and basically be 0% musically talented to be a household name.

Very few things reach Metallica, but I'd say Opeth is the new In Flames - a band that everyone who listens to metal knows, and many who don't listen to metal know. Let's just hope Opeth doesn't pull an In Flames and become shitty :/