Opeth is on Gigantour officially

The quality of any tour lineup is, at best, subjective. When Opeth is headlining, I'll put up with pretty much any opening act. If I have to sit through Devil Driver to watch almost 2 hours of Opeth, I'll do it. If the opening bands are good, like Devin Townsend and Nevermore, all the better.

But when Opeth isn't opening, there had better be at least a few bands that I like on the bill. This wasn't even remotely the case on last year's SOTU tour. So, I didn't go. Not worth watching 12 bands I don't like just to see 3 songs from Opeth.

But this tour looks interesting. I've been a Megadeth fan since I heard Rust in Peace in 8th grade (yes, when it came out...) I was also into Overkill. Arch enemy seems pretty cool, even though I've only seen a couple videos on MTV. I don't know anything about the other bands, but I've heard enough to know that I'll be going.

If you don't like the other bands, then don't go. Furthermore, don't complain that they're only going to play a 45 minute set. We all think Opeth are the shit, but let's face it, they're not Megadeth yet. Yes, I would like to see them coheadlining too, but I think it's more important for them to gain further exposure to fans that may not know them yet. This is a great opportunity.

And, yes, please don't come to the Palladium...

It is confirmed and official, Opeth will be playing on the main stage for the upcoming Gigantour 2006, which takes place during September and October of this year.

The dates are posted on the page. Come take a look and see if Opeth is coming to your area!

The lineup for the Gigantour is:
---- Main Stage
Megadeth
Lamb of God
Opeth
Arch Enemy

---- Second stage
Overkill
Into Eternity
Sanctity
The Smashup

just my 2 cents

Darktran said:
If i read it correctly in the contest section, Opeth will have the slot right before Megadeth. So, we can expect more than an hour for the peth set
Yup, the contest section clearly states that "the winner (of the guitar) will be announced after Arch Enemy" and "each guitar will be given away to the winner on the main stage after Opeth and before Megadeth".

No mention of LOG... which is weird since it seems like they'll be playing before Megadeth.

My guess is that Megadeth will play 90 or so minutes, and LOG, Opeth and Arch Enemy will play roughly 45 minutes. Second stage bands playing from 30-20 minutes each.

But we won't know until Dave has confirmed all of the second stage bands.

shanky said:
Yup, the contest section clearly states that "the winner (of the guitar) will be announced after Arch Enemy" and "each guitar will be given away to the winner on the main stage after Opeth and before Megadeth".

No mention of LOG... which is weird since it seems like they'll be playing before Megadeth.

My guess is that Megadeth will play 90 or so minutes, and LOG, Opeth and Arch Enemy will play roughly 45 minutes. Second stage bands playing from 30-20 minutes each.

But we won't know until Dave has confirmed all of the second stage bands.
Dream Theater and Fear Factory played for well over 45 minutes last year. At least I'm pretty sure about Fear Factory. I am positive that Dream Theater played for about the same amount of time as Megadeth.

So I tried to register for the Gigantour forum eariler today. I chose the name "Opeth should be #2". I was sent an email shortly afterwards that said:

Dear Opeth Should Be #2,

Unfortunately your registration at GIGANTOUR Forums did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted.

Sorry,
GIGANTOUR Forums

WTF?!? I was just gonna pwn sum noobs, rofl \m/.

Gee, I wonder who their moderators are...

As an FYI, this was the main stage running order and set times from last year. One thing to note in particular is that there were five main stage bands. This year there are apparently four. Unless another main stage act is announced, this bodes fairly well for Opeth:

From last year (from the majority of dates):

set times for Stage 1:

Megadeth - Co-headline (90 mins)
Dream Theater - Co-headline (90 mins)
Fear Factory - Special Guests (45 mins)
Dillinger Escape Plan - Guests (30 mins)
Nevermore - Guests (30 mins)

This years' announced acts for Stage 1:

Megadeth - Headliners
Lamb of God
Opeth
Arch Enemy

BS no Vancouver or Seattle shows! I believe the Vancouver show last year had one of the biggest attendances out of most of the other shows. I saw Lamb of God a week ago, so its not really that great to see them again play the same set 2 months later

metal_wrath said:
Did you miss Mike's recent post, he said that he had written a song on the subway, in his head!!

Mmmm yes :)

I wonder if Mike has given this song a title yet?

I also wonder if the Stockholm subway is as noisy as the London Tube...

Piccadilly line between Earls Court and Hyde Park Corner is abit of a white knuckle ride imo, clatters like crazy.

Anyone heard of the German band called "The Spliff Radio Show?" later they just called themselves spliff. :)

They recorded the sound whilst traveling on the subway there, don't ask me the track title cos my records are elsewhere for the time being. :cry:

"No blow no show" is a lyric I vividly remember from the band Spliff + the subway sound, :loco: hehehe.

Edit: it is on this album...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:i09us39ba3xg

"Computers are stupid" and "Kill" are great 80's rock tracks. :)

Amarantus said:
Jesus titty fucking christ. WHATS THIS YOU SAY?!?!?! I SHALL SEE OPETH TWICE IN TWO YEARS?!?!?

OMFG
This will be my 3rd time seeing both Opeth and Megadeth in 13 months. Throw in some Type O Negative and my top 3 favorite bands would make all my concert dreams come true. :kickass:

At the Gigantour last year, tickets were $35 (I think) and the whole place was general admission. That probably varies from venue to venue.

The bands did autograph signings too. I hope they do that this year!

If they play 90min...

Ghost of Perdition
April Ethereal
Advent
Face of Melinda
Bleak
Masters Apprentice
Baying of the Hounds

*fingers crossed*

~random~ said:
Fuck you all who get to see Opeth perform so often.

Sorry dude. I'm pissed I've only seen them 8 times in 3+ yrs.
Shit I'm spoiled :heh:

Wish I picked a career that offered more vacation time. Then I'd follow them all over the country. That would be cool !