Opeth next album prediction based on current members

As long as Mike's head isn't musically stuck on songs like Coil, Porcelain Heart, and Hex Omega, it will be a good album.

Worse than watershed.

^there were almost no twin guitar harmonies on any of those albums. except during solos.

...morningrise is full of dual guitar harmonies

I want fast and heavy like in lepper affinity, beautiful soft sections with a dark undertone like in death whispered a lullaby , and weird proggy lotus eater circus breakdowns

:)

I enjoy Mikael's ever growing hard-on for 70s rock, and want to hear even more Camel and Scorpions cribbing in the future.

I want Ayreon, Burzum, Cradle of Filth, Dream Theater, Edguy, Finntroll, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kalmah, Liquid tension experiment, Megadeth, Nile, Pantera, Rhapsody, Subway to sally, Testament, Ulver, Venom, Wintersun, Xysma, Yes and Zero hour.

:puke:

I Thought Mendez wrote Derelict Herds? No?

Hahaha yeah right. Rofl.

Umm... sincerly I am quite sure next Opeth album will be pretty damn brutal, because Mikael loves brutal stuff and must think it'd be cool to make something fucking brutal instead of something like Watershred that is not so brutal except sometime but not brutal enough overally, not as brutal as Deliver-hence with brutal songs like Deliver-hence or brutal like The Leopard Felinity on Backstabber Pork, fucking brutal. And with Fredrik from brutal death metul band Harsh-and-Homie and Axe from even more brutal death metul band Bladebooth it will be more brutal, that's sure. Watershred was like an unbrutal transitionnal alboom except for Her Appartment, so next album : evil and brutal.

...or all mellow.

By the time the next album comes out, Per has kicked all the members from the band, and Opeth has become his solo project. And his beard is going to be two fucking meters long.

The one thing about Opeth is that each album has been pretty much unpredictable.

I really, really didn't believe Watershed would turn out to be so soft and dare I say bland. Somehow I thought it would be as dark and possibly as ferocious as My Arms, Your Hear.se

For Ghost Reveries, I really really didn't expect it to be so melodic (after Deliverance) or hard (after Damnation).

If we actually analysed Opeth at the time being i think we could do a fairly good prediction.

Ok two new members.
Axe - likes to play fast, but has bloodbath to to that and is influenced by Ian Pace.
Fred - Likes to shred....and has....a good heart.
Older members
Mike - the brain of the beast, but weve seen him let go of the reigns a bit as of late.
Mendez - Ive never seen him to be much of a writer except for his riffs.
Per - wrote derelict herds, which is a solid track with some perks.

i suppose it could go both ways really.
We all know the credentials are there to do a completely brootal album.
But there is also a potential prog rock album there.
I guess it all comes down to what's in Mikes head at the time.
He could be into some new six feet under, and decide to chuck in some "death'n'roll"

I dunno. What are your takes?

ähh... can I laugh at you?

Umm... sincerly I am quite sure next Opeth album will be pretty damn brutal, because Mikael loves brutal stuff and must think it'd be cool to make something fucking brutal instead of something like Watershred that is not so brutal except sometime but not brutal enough overally, not as brutal as Deliver-hence with brutal songs like Deliver-hence or brutal like The Leopard Felinity on Backstabber Pork, fucking brutal.

That sentence is painful.

I think many of you will be disappointed if you wish for brutality and darkness on the next album.
Mike has said they see themselves as musicians now rather than "just" metal musicians.

Yeah thats exactly what I believe. Its probably gonna be very similar to watershed but even more mellow. But if its not thats gonna be the shit although I try not to think of these things.

Lets face it, the days of MAYH, Deliverance, SL, BWP are gone. Watershed fell into the line set by GR and I see no reason why we wouldnt get more of the same. More melodic, less growls, maybe one real heavy song. Im not downing them, I like the new music, not as much as the old but I like Opeth for being Opeth and not just for songs that "has some lyrics, that are absolute black metul nonsense"