Other Bands for Theocracy Fans?

How come no one has mentioned Neal Morse yet? His album Sola Scriptura is pure awesomeness. Four songs, and three of them are nearly 30 minutes each :loco:

The two previous bands he was in, Spock's Beard and Transatlantic aren't Christian, while his solo band is, but they're not bad none the less. In Transatlantic and his solo band, he has Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) as the drummer, which adds a couple levels of awesome to Neal's already impressive Guitar and E-Piano work.

Pathosray isn't Christian, I said that in my previous post, you misread me :)

I support the idea of Menahem, Prometheus mentioned it.

Incrave is a good Christian band, try them out.

I have their song Scream in Silence. Sounds like RED at first
At first, yes. But Red sounds a lot better for me (and the singer's voice is so beautiful !). Incrave is not bad though :). God bless them !

I'm interested by some Christian Prog metal band(s) too. But it will be difficult to find something that sounds as awesome as Theocracy... can't wait for the third album !

I can't remember which one I downloaded. It's pretty good though. Not too into the vocals though.

7 Days is pretty rockin' too. Thanks! Before I go spend a lot of money, do any of these bands have "Growlers?" you know those RAH RAH guys who sing like James Hetfield after smoking 7 packs a day for 10 years?

Of the ones I mentioned:
There are some growls in two songs of Threshold's album Dead Reckoning.

Ayreon's Human Equation contains some growls that fit the album very well, since it is an concept album where different singers impersonate different human emotions and persons. The vocalist who is the voice of "fear" does a few growls, but also sings very well.

This album is a masterpiece of progressive rock/metal IMHO and is one of my alltime favorite albums.

This is the track with some growls in it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVL8--fmws"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVL8--fmws[/ame]

As for Termaze be aware that their albums are very different. The first one "Doxology" is Thrash, "Tears to Dust" is progressive melodic metal, "Not the Criminal" is more rock orientated.

Here's one of Tourniquet's songs from their most recent album. A few harsher vocals, but no actual screaming. They're really closer to thrash metal, but they have lots of ties to progressive and neoclassical metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got 1 album by Jacob's Dream, and they seem to be all out power metal, very little prog in them, that's why nobody mentioned it :p

Without wanting to disrespect other bands, I don't think anyone comes close to Theocracy (with the exception of Seventh Avenue, who are 2nd best only to Theocracy) in the Christian progressive metal world.

Fundy

Here's something for you people to read about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_mainstream_metal

I was glad to hear that there are more people like Hansi Kursch who believe in God and live morally even though they dislike the Church as an institution, I mean it's still a good thing kind of.

I wrote an e-mail to Jani Stefanovic (the famous Christian metal guitarist; Miseration, Renascent, Am I Blood, Crimson Moonlight, Solution .45, Etc.) and he states that he hates what the Church is doing, he's got a connection to Christ and that's all that matters, he talks about Christ with such passion, but he wants to distance himself from the Church.

The thing is there are many 'believers' out there who just don't like the idea of the Church in any form, in a way they hate religion, but they certainly don't lack faith.

Faith=/=religion.

Here's something for you people to read about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_mainstream_metal

I was glad to hear that there are more people like Hansi Kursch who believe in God and live morally even though they dislike the Church as an institution, I mean it's still a good thing kind of.

I wrote an e-mail to Jani Stefanovic (the famous Christian metal guitarist; Miseration, Renascent, Am I Blood, Crimson Moonlight, Solution .45, Etc.) and he states that he hates what the Church is doing, he's got a connection to Christ and that's all that matters, he talks about Christ with such passion, but he wants to distance himself from the Church.

The thing is there are many 'believers' out there who just don't like the idea of the Church in any form, in a way they hate religion, but they certainly don't lack faith.

Faith=/=religion.

I kind of feel a similar way. I don't believe the Church has any power over us, and being a Lutheran, neither does my church. I do think that the only thing that matters is a relationship with Christ, but going to church and such can help you grow in that relationship.

Imagine if you lived in a huge house with a gigantic extended family, but the only person you ever talked to was your Father and a few other close relatives. That's kind of what being a Christian but refusing to go to church is like.

I firmly believe that the church is the body of Christ. Many churches exercise too much "control" over their members, but the bible quite clearly states that we should gather together to worship god and to share fellowship.

For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them. (Matthew 18:20)

You can't just shrug "the church" off as an institution to be avoided, when the bible is so incredibly clear on that subject. You don't have to call it a church, call it whatever you want, but god wants us gathering in his name to worship him.

I firmly believe that the church is the body of Christ. Many churches exercise too much "control" over their members, but the bible quite clearly states that we should gather together to worship god and to share fellowship.

For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them. (Matthew 18:20)

You can't just shrug "the church" off as an institution to be avoided, when the bible is so incredibly clear on that subject. You don't have to call it a church, call it whatever you want, but god wants us gathering in his name to worship him.

I so agree. It is a necessity to keep us in line.

Yea we do need some guidance, that the Church is perfect for that, but many don't like the idea it's working. For instance what about all that money in the Vatican?

Yea we do need some guidance, that the Church is perfect for that, but many don't like the idea it's working. For instance what about all that money in the Vatican?

dude not all churches are like that haha. That is Catholicism. There are some good churches out there.