Over-rated Bands

I have to admit, during my 'innocent' elementary school days (about 10yrs ago) I actually listened to Korn. Any respect I had for this band is long gone - they are completely money-driven sell-outs. They are the only band I have ever listened to that I would accurately use that term to describe (most often accusations are just asinine).

And I really don't understand why people use the whole nu-metal term? It's not metal to begin with, just a ridiculous term used by mainstream media to described what they thought was "modern metal." Any mention of Linkin Park, Papa Roach or Limp Bizkit, alongside Metal makes me sick. :erk:

as far as the mainstream media is concerned, anything that is loud and disturbing (to the average person) is metal.

I got nothing against Greek bands but I think Rotting Christ and Astarte are both relatively overrated. I don't really hear much of a black metal sound that everyone talks about in either band...Wth Astarte, I dislike the fact they bring in a few well-known vocalists to do guest vocals on their albums. I sincerely hope it helps them sell more albums :rolleyes:

Hey, Astarte are bad-ass, they dont need guest vocalists to sell albums, they have got that on image, the fact they know people is a bonus. And Rotting Christ are quite under-rated... I mean the only reason people know them is because they are a metal band from Greece.. Not many people take the time to give them the credit they deserve for their music.

Hey, Astarte are bad-ass, they dont need guest vocalists to sell albums, they have got that on image, the fact they know people is a bonus. And Rotting Christ are quite under-rated... I mean the only reason people know them is because they are a metal band from Greece.. Not many people take the time to give them the credit they deserve for their music.

I don't dislike either band really, I just feel they are overrated.
And give me a break, they've had like 7 or 8 guest vocalists on the past couple cds including Shaggers, Angela, Attila etc. There's no reason for that, other than to attract attention and sell more albums. And Astarte is partially overrated because they get those fanboys who can't get over the fact that they are women doing harsher vocals.

Well I can see your point with Rotting Christ. They are overrated to some who feel they are underrated as a result and vice-versa. I've just listened to a few of their albums and haven't been impressed, thats all.

The fact Astarte are women was an accident, the band never intended it but it is true that it does have a strong appeal, I mean hell look at Arch Enemy... they dont sell records on talent. To make a point about the guests though, Nightwish had like 300 on once, no one noticed though because they were all playing instruments not singing. Look at any Symphonic Metal band and you will see a ton of extra credits. The musicians Astarte have guesting are all label-mates... something which a lot of bands do, Max Cavalera in particular has done it shitloads of times and he is considered a highly influential musician by most.

Have we got any more bands left in metal what so ever ?!?!!? Let's go head and say fuck naming all these huge bands lets start on smaller indie bands hahaha . . .
THanks
Justin

PS this is a great Thread . . . . After this we should all go irish!!! down 14,000 beers and beat the piss out of each other before going back to hugging and necking each others wives and what have you !!!!

deeds of flesh indeed is overrated. i would also mention deicide, benton spoils everything for me but thankfully to a few good riffs its still tolerable.

I dont like Bentons mid-career work but his early stuff, partiularly their self-titled album sounds fucking sick, utterly possesed due to the two-track studio effects, deep as the pits of hell and evil enough to make conservative Christians believe that perhaps Slayer are not that bad after all... Satan would be proud.

I dont like Bentons mid-career work but his early stuff, partiularly their self-titled album sounds fucking sick, utterly possesed due to the two-track studio effects, deep as the pits of hell and evil enough to make conservative Christians believe that perhaps Slayer are not that bad after all... Satan would be proud.

He used to claim that all the extra growls and screams you hear in the background just 'appeared' there, as if Satan himself was singing along. :lol:

Acid bath is heavy as fuck sludge with some pretty experimental things thrown into it.. I guess it sounds a bit like sludgey grindcore with death grunts in a way until accoustic guitars and vocals which could very well belong to Nirvana's gothic cousin rear their head. They are probubly the best sludge band in my opinion though they are often overrated because they have a bit of a cult following in the scene.

I love sludge like Eyehategod and Grief but Acid Bath is just MOR tripe.

I don't get why people hate Glen Benton's vocals. I think he has a pretty kick ass "evil as fuck" voice especially on the first two albums.

Maybe because he layers his vocals quite a bit?

And to some negative critism, I can agree his vocals do sound 'cookie monster-ish' in a sense. He is a fairly good vocalist though. But I've never really cared for Deicide. I haven't heard their first couple albums but I thought "The Stench of Redemption" was a good album, the few that came before it were terrible in my opinion.

Maybe because he layers his vocals quite a bit?

And to some negative critism, I can agree his vocals do sound 'cookie monster-ish' in a sense. He is a fairly good vocalist though. But I've never really cared for Deicide. I haven't heard their first couple albums but I thought "The Stench of Redemption" was a good album, the few that came before it were terrible in my opinion.
agreed, but in my humble opinion benton added nothing to that album.