• Reinventing the steel

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rocky Raccoon

I am the Walrus
Feb 24, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
So I don't see Pantera mentioned much here. I think they were one of the best bands to come out of the 90's... What does everyone else think? Favourite album?
Love them?
Hate them?
WHY?

One of my fav bands of all time.

One of the bands that really got me into metal.

I vote Vulgar Display of Power.

I can see this thread going in the direction of becoming a trainwreck, im pretty sure alot of people here hate them, but ohwell, I love em.

Cowboys from Hell is by far their best. Vulgar Display of Power is decent. Anything else is not really worth listening to. The stuff before that was ridiculous glam rock (which admittedly I haven't actually heard but I don't feel particularly compelled to either) and the stuff after that just turned into being heavy for the sake of being heavy and throwing any semblance of songwriting out the window while doing so.

when I liked them it was CFH. Always thought 'Vulgar' was pretty average tbch. Defenetly gets my vote for one of the most overrated metal albums of all time.

They have a whole bunch of glam albums before Power Metal so technically those aren't really the earliest 4 albums. Though they are if you only count the lineup that included Phil Anselmo.

Benighted1 said:
What do you think of Dimebags playing? You gota love his style surely..

he was a talented metal guitarist, no doubt. and i liked a few pieces of his work quite a bit. but the band as a whole is certainly not what it was cracked up to be. but i will tip my hat to pantera for keeping american metal alive in many respects through the 90s. or at least helping.

Far Beyond Driven

Pantera used to be my favorite metal band a long time ago, and i can still enjoy them every now and then.

In fact, I think I'll play this record again.

i started listening to music when i was 12 or 13, and it was all either 70s/80s rock or korean music. i don't watch tv, so i've never really gotten any exposure to much, even mainstream metal.