• Far Beyond Driven

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Great Southern Trendkill

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Reinventing the steel

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pantera is ..meh. Would've been a hell of a lot better if dimebag could dial in an amplifier properly... terrible tone ruined alot of talent there IMO.

Prognostic said:
i havent heard one pantera song...and based on these responses, i wont ever listen to them

Thats pretty stupid, letting people decide whether you check out a band or not...

If your a fan of metal then you should at least check out Pantera, as they were thee biggest metal band of the 90's.

Listen to This Love or Cemetery Gates and tell me you think they are terrible.

Keith! said:
Thats pretty stupid, letting people decide whether you check out a band or not...

If your a fan of metal then you should at least check out Pantera, as they were thee biggest metal band of the 90's.

Listen to This Love or Cemetery Gates and tell me you think they are terrible.

i knew someone would say this. i'm not letting anyone decide for me. im making the decision to not listen to pantera because i know what type of music they play and i tend to dislike most metal in that style

the_drip said:
Pantera is ..meh. Would've been a hell of a lot better if dimebag could dial in an amplifier properly... terrible tone ruined alot of talent there IMO.

Wtf? You rekon?
Seems to me he started a whole new trend of guitar tone. Next to Metallica I'd say his is the most sort after tone out there for all sorts of people. To develop your own unique tone that is sort after by thousands of guitarist's and instantly recognisable in my opinion is quite a remarkable achievement if your a guitarist. Theres not a hell of alot of guitarist's that have done that.

Keith! said:
Wtf? You rekon?
Seems to me he started a whole new trend of guitar tone. Next to Metallica I'd say his is the most sort after tone out there for all sorts of people. To develop your own unique tone that is sort after by thousands of guitarist's and instantly recognisable in my opinion is quite a remarkable achievement if your a guitarist. Theres not a hell of alot of guitarist's that have done that.

yeah its a uniquely terrible tone that is emulated by bands that I dislike a great deal. Every single amp/stombox/guitar pickup Dimebag ever endorsed always sounded like total ass. It's a buzzy, thin, over-saturated mids-over-scooped crappy tone. No bones about it.

I like big huge guitars that smash yoru face into your scrotum which is basically the opposite of what Dime's tone was like.

seems you're the only one who thinks his tone wasn't that great. whatever knobs he turned or effects he had to make it sound that LETHAL...it worked for me and a ton of others.

Pantera was a totally original metal band and were strong songwriters. Every note they played came straight from the heart, and not from the words of others. No excessive self indulgence to ruin their written songs, and no simple pop bullcrap. They were pure, well balanced metal (sounds like I'm talking about food here!) for people wanting something less excessively brutal than death metal, but more hard edged/darker than thrash...with some melody and dynamics.

meh I agree with you on why they appealed so much...but I couldn't ever get into them. due to his tone and I really hate phil anselmo..he never impressed me either.

And I'm pretty sure there's people who agree wtih me about my distaste for Dimebag tone. It is atrocious.

Shit band. This Love and Walk are among the worst songs I've ever heard. I'm embarrassed that there are people that think Pantera is anywhere near the pinnacle of metal. I regret their existence.

Can't stand them. The amount of obnoxious and arrogant crap those guys spewed out onstage and in interviews is unbelieveable, plus I don't see any appeal in the music at all.

Vulgar Display of Power is my favorite. Not super from start to finish, but it contains some of their finest tracks.

A New Level, Fucking Hostile, Walk, This Love, Live In a Hole & Hollow are amongst their best songs IMO.

This Love & Cemetary Gates are probably my favorite songs of theirs. CG was off of Cowboys ofcourse which is my 2nd fav album.

It's a shame how things ended up between Phil & the Abbott's.
They should still be together & rocking out, but all the H & Booze fucked things up for them.
Phil also has the biggest ego in Metal.

Pantera was one of the first metal bands that I got into and it's actually the one band that me and my brothers can agree on.

I chose TGSTK as my favorite. It had some of the heaviest stuff they had ever done and some of the most melodic. The solo at the end of Floods is, in my opinion, one of the greatest ever written.

Pantera are what got me into discovering metal really, so I still have a soft spot for them because of the memories I get when listening to the music. They were my favorite band for quite some time until I found out about Opeth. I think it's a very hard choice between Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display Of Power, the rest of the albums are all pretty average although they contains some great songs here and there. I guess they are a bit overrated for the music they made, but they were certainly a very important band, very influential. And of course Dimebag was a guitar god. I barely listen to them now though. Once I started getting into more progressive metal, most of the heavy/thrash/plain death metal I used to listen to started getting old and boring very quickly.

the_drip said:
yeah its a uniquely terrible tone that is emulated by bands that I dislike a great deal. Every single amp/stombox/guitar pickup Dimebag ever endorsed always sounded like total ass. It's a buzzy, thin, over-saturated mids-over-scooped crappy tone. No bones about it.

There are probably more Dime "endorsed" guitar products than NFU has CD albums. He must be the most commercially whored metal artist ever. Surely most signature kit is aimed at people who don't/can't really listen to the kit they're buying, so need a celebrity endorsement to help them make their decision. Hardly surprising if it then sounds crap. Besides, a Dean guitar that's been through a custom shop and gets played through a carefully-tweaked EQ and amp overseen by a guitar tech is bound to sound worlds away from a fucking stomp box, even if you use it with a $200 Dean ML-alike.