Possible to hate Viva Emptiness, and like everything else?

batmura said:
To me, even though I consider their new one the best post-BMD, Last Fair Deal Gone Down is the most complete and most essential Katatonia album. Production and musicianship wise it eclipses both DO and TD and represents their current musical direction best.

That said, I haven't heard VE and I'm not tempted to. Along with some friends whose tastes are alike, even on the official Kata forum, there are many people saying it's their worst.

Have you read ANY VE reviews? most reviewers say it is masterpiece, lots of people on this forum may dislike it...but the rock media loved it, as well as a lot of fans...think about it, give the album a chance!!

VE is such an awesome abum, dark atmosphere...heavy dark songs, great lyrics. it's at least twice as good as TGCD, which is an Ok album, but after some time I realize only half the songs are great. There are no strange desperate songs like Omerta or A Premonition on the newest.

I think "In the White" and "Journey Through Pressure" have the same concept as "A Premonition". They are both very dark and beautiful songs. "Soil's Song" is also another that I would say is as dark as "A Premonition", but is a different style.

I must admit that I was little dissapointed to VE when I listened to it first time.
But now, when the album is almost used up, I have fell in love to it. There's a certain brilliance, which doensn't open up, when I listened to it first time.
For example Omerta and Evidence are now few of my all time favorites from Katatonia. :>

I love everything Katatonia has ever done, and even I think that Viva Emptiness is by far Katatonia's worst album. It's got some good songs, the best being Omerta, but as a whole it's just so lacking in terms of quality. It sounds rushed actually. The majority of the songs just aren't very strong, the lyrics are sometimes out of place even to the point of distracting, and the production is pretty awful too. The snare drum has that annoying "ping" sound that I can't stand, the guitars sound sloppy, the vocals are buried, and the whole thing is just noisy. The whole production is very un-Katatonia-ish, which turns me off to it. It's grown on me somewhat over the years and I can appreciate it for what it is, but it will always be their one (mostly) failed effort in my eyes.

It's funny that they followed it up with what I consider their greatest album, The Great Cold Distance. It truly is a classic, and an album I will rank up there with my top 20 albums of all time. What a difference a few years made! They took everything that was wrong with Viva Emptiness and corrected it. I've also heard it was done at the same studio too, which amazes me because it's so much better this time around. On The Great Cold Distance, the production is PERFECT, with all instruments being correctly mixed, the drums sound awesome, the vocals are at the perfect level, etc.

VE has better guitar tone than TGCD imo, and the vocals are very clear too, they sound very in the ''front' to me...not complaining abot TGCD and i agree it is a very well-produced album....

VIVA its their best album yet, sad people dont see it that eay, it has way more quality that the rest, and in terms of lyrics its the best too, the best rythms and the most heavy one to date.....TGCD its no their best....its 3 or even 4 in my top 5 from kata.

KittyKatatonia said:
I love everything Katatonia has ever done, and even I think that Viva Emptiness is by far Katatonia's worst album. It's got some good songs, the best being Omerta, but as a whole it's just so lacking in terms of quality. It sounds rushed actually. The majority of the songs just aren't very strong, the lyrics are sometimes out of place even to the point of distracting, and the production is pretty awful too. The snare drum has that annoying "ping" sound that I can't stand, the guitars sound sloppy, the vocals are buried, and the whole thing is just noisy. The whole production is very un-Katatonia-ish, which turns me off to it. It's grown on me somewhat over the years and I can appreciate it for what it is, but it will always be their one (mostly) failed effort in my eyes.

It's funny that they followed it up with what I consider their greatest album, The Great Cold Distance. It truly is a classic, and an album I will rank up there with my top 20 albums of all time. What a difference a few years made! They took everything that was wrong with Viva Emptiness and corrected it. I've also heard it was done at the same studio too, which amazes me because it's so much better this time around. On The Great Cold Distance, the production is PERFECT, with all instruments being correctly mixed, the drums sound awesome, the vocals are at the perfect level, etc.
I pretty much fully agree with you.
Discouraged+One said:
VIVA its their best album yet, sad people dont see it that eay,
Even the band themselves don't see it that way ;).

Katatonia made every album great but I have to admit VE is my least fav from them, perhaps VE lack of the elements I love very much from katatonia's and I don't like the production of this album :(

IMHO, my perfect albums from katatonia are BMD,DO and LFDGD :kickass:
the rest are great! like 95/100 but not 100/100 :heh:

Bereavement said:
Katatonia made every album great but I have to admit VE is my least fav from them, perhaps VE lack of the elements I love very much from katatonia's and I don't like the production of this album :(

IMHO, my perfect albums from katatonia are BMD,DO and LFDGD :kickass:
the rest are great! like 95/100 but not 100/100 :heh:
I agree with you as well! :)

Damn, I'm in a very agreeful mood today it seems ;).

KittyKatatonia said:

oh I posted my thought then saw ur post. I have to say I 100% agree with you! esspecially "they took everything that wa wrong iwth VE and corrected in TGCD" I just think VE's problem is the same with Anathema - A fine day to exit ( also my least fav album from anathema and they fixed everything in A natural disaster which a perfect album)

I just feel like, they are making an experiment in VE and A fine day to exit and they knew the real trick after that in the next album.

about the VE's production, I've asked many friend and done some searches, the guitars sound in VE sounds not good because they didn't use the hardware effects, the guitars effect in VE were done by digitech guitar software plugins.