Post Rock

Phoenix5

d3v4s7a710n
May 14, 2005
Nebraska
This is a genre that is really growing on me.

I've always had stuff like Isis and Red Sparowes sitting around, but it wasn't until like a month ago that I listened to Godspeed You! Black Emperor, that I really started to listen to this type of stuff.

Is anyone else here into this type of music? Is anything I should really be listening to that I'm missing?

I am also really starting to get into this genre of music. Here are some I've been listening to.

Mono (my personal favorite)
Explosions in the Sky
A Silver Mt. Zion
Magyar Posse
Mogwai
Sigur Ros
Pelican
65daysofstatic
God is an Astronaut

strange that i dont know exactly what is post rock

but anyways i never heard any of the bands mentioned

Post rock is mostly instrumental ambient music, mostly slower stuff and a little depressing. Best way I can describe it. Go to myspace and check out some of those bands, you might like it. I would start with Godspeed, they are probably the best of the genre.

I absolutely love post rock! Do yourself a favor and check out the following bands: The American Dollar, Explosions In The Sky, God Is An Astronaut, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Hammock, I Hear Sirens, M83, Mogwai, Sigur Rós, Talk Talk, Team Sleep, and Tristeza. If you have any questions about which cds to check out, just ask.

I absolutely love post rock! Do yourself a favor and check out the following bands: The American Dollar, Explosions In The Sky, God Is An Astronaut, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Hammock, I Hear Sirens, M83, Mogwai, Sigur Rós, Talk Talk, Team Sleep, and Tristeza. If you have any questions about which cds to check out, just ask.

You got it.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor ...has always been a band that intrigued me..

I listened to a few mins of their stuff on their myspace page but... i dunno

maybe not my thing

So.. does Ulver sound like them, Dev? cuz I know you're a big fan of them..

Quite likely my favourite genre.
Some suggestions + descriptions:

Mono: Japanese band. Warm, fuzzy sound. They mostly build big soundscapes with guitars out of silent nice tunes.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Probably the most well-known post-rockband. They're from Canada. The music is very poetic. They use a lot of samples (speeches, poems, city sounds) and add another dimension to it by playing music under it. They combine orchestral instruments with normal "rock" instruments. The lyrics are often politically tainted.

a Silver Mount Zion: They spring from the minds of GY!BE and are very alike. Only ASMZ feature vocals (not only samples of them) which often kind of yell the poetical lyrics and the music is more orchestral.

God is an Astronaut: Very distinct band (Irish) in the genre. They have a very polished sound and the music is more structured than most other post-rockbands. They have a great drummer and the songs have got some killer climaxes which send shivers down your spine.

This Will Destroy You: They're from texas and remind me the most of mono. It's like 65 Days Of Static meets Mono. They have the ambiences and warm sounds of mono and some electronics of 65 Days Of Static.

Explosions in the Sky: Also from Texas. They also have a very distinct sound. They often use three electric guitars and drums only. The music balances between soft guitarparts and very loud parts with a lot of drumbashing. They also have a more polished sound than most bands in the genre.

Sigur Rós: Milestone in the genre from Iceland. They feature very high vocals, thrilling melodies and lovely soundscapes. The guitarplayer/singer often uses a "bow" (normally used on violin) for the guitar, what makes a trademark sound. They have some sort of folkloric/fairytalish sound.

Mogwai: This band from Scotland have a huge sound. They have a few different faces. They can make very beautiful acoustic/clean emotional songs, but can also be a trainwreck of sound with distorted guitars. It sometimes has low (imo very nice) vocals in it. Ususally they use regular "rockband-instruments" with electronical effects, but they occasionaly use the piano too. Mogwai has been used in various soundtracks of comercials, films and documentaries

Quite likely my favourite genre.
Some suggestions + descriptions:

Mono: Japanese band. Warm, fuzzy sound. They mostly build big soundscapes with guitars out of silent nice tunes.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Probably the most well-known post-rockband. They're from Canada. The music is very poetic. They use a lot of samples (speeches, poems, city sounds) and add another dimension to it by playing music under it. They combine orchestral instruments with normal "rock" instruments. The lyrics are often politically tainted.

a Silver Mount Zion: They spring from the minds of GY!BE and are very alike. Only ASMZ feature vocals (not only samples of them) which often kind of yell the poetical lyrics and the music is more orchestral.

God is an Astronaut: Very distinct band (Irish) in the genre. They have a very polished sound and the music is more structured than most other post-rockbands. They have a great drummer and the songs have got some killer climaxes which send shivers down your spine.

This Will Destroy You: They're from texas and remind me the most of mono. It's like 65 Days Of Static meets Mono. They have the ambiences and warm sounds of mono and some electronics of 65 Days Of Static.

Explosions in the Sky: Also from Texas. They also have a very distinct sound. They often use three electric guitars and drums only. The music balances between soft guitarparts and very loud parts with a lot of drumbashing. They also have a more polished sound than most bands in the genre.

Sigur Rós: Milestone in the genre from Iceland. They feature very high vocals, thrilling melodies and lovely soundscapes. The guitarplayer/singer often uses a "bow" (normally used on violin) for the guitar, what makes a trademark sound.

I've got to leave now, but these are some major bands!

Thanks Vince! This helps a lot.

No one mentioned Grails yet? They're more minimalistic then the other bands on the list but deserves to be mentioned also.

This Is A Process Of Still Life is another great band in this genre. I think it's most comparable to Explosions in the Sky but it brings something unique to genre too.

And if you like Isis I recommend Rosetta to you.