Post the last film you watched and rate it out of 10!

Will Ferrel is awesome.... although some of his more recent movies weren't that good. Besides Talladega nights I highly recommend the Anchorman which IMO is the best Will Ferrel comedy.

Anchorman is legendary, and I thought Step Brothers was pretty funny too. Talladega Nights is so frustrating because while it really has a shitload of funny stuff, it just drags on WAY too long so IMO the lasting impression is of tedium :erk:

I watched Avatar after all. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. There were some epic facepalm moments, a good deal of which have been mentioned in the thread but if you can ignore them you're actually left with a pretty good movie, objectively speaking. I think it's a sacrifice that had to be made in order to ensure good profits, which must be quite important when the budget for a movie is that big. I'm sure they could have made the movie original and without all the cliches and crap but then it would have been aimed at an entirely different audience, consisting of much less people. Then the budget would have been smaller and it would have limited their artistic possibilities.

In short, I think there was a bit of something for anyone in the movie. It's pretty good overall and it has: excellent visuals, mediocre plot, good message. I give it 7.5/10

Land Of The Lost (Will Ferrel) if you havnt seen it. Reeaally random. Had some moments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched Avatar after all. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. There were some epic facepalm moments, a good deal of which have been mentioned in the thread but if you can ignore them you're actually left with a pretty good movie, objectively speaking. I think it's a sacrifice that had to be made in order to ensure good profits, which must be quite important when the budget for a movie is that big. I'm sure they could have made the movie original and without all the cliches and crap but then it would have been aimed at an entirely different audience, consisting of much less people. Then the budget would have been smaller and it would have limited their artistic possibilities.

In short, I think there was a bit of something for anyone in the movie. It's pretty good overall and it has: excellent visuals, mediocre plot, good message. I give it 7.5/10

My point of view too. Just came from watching it 3D, and it was really awesome. It's the first animated movie I can say : "it's a good movie" (excepted funny ones). You have to forget the epicly cliché parts and what is left is actually a good movie, technically wonderful, and I personnally felt 2h40 was even not enough.

It's good when you take out the bad parts? What *can't* we say that about? My feelings about Avatar aside, that's not a particularly meaningful statement...

Jeff

It's good when you take out the bad parts? What *can't* we say that about? My feelings about Avatar aside, that's not a particularly meaningful statement...

Jeff

It depends. Yes, if someone spits in your coffee it's ruined but if you find a hair in your delicious meal you can simply remove it and enjoy the meal. Though, you'd probably argue that Avatar is more like a ball of pubic hair :lol:

2001: A Space Oddessy. 10/10. Brilliant fucking movie! :headbang:

I gotta be honest man, I just recently saw it again after not having seen it in like 10+ years, and I was mostly bored to tears and pissed off through a lot of it :lol: The utter absence of dialog, the ENDLESSLY dragged out sequences (the space ones near the beginning in particular, especially the fucking lunar landing sequence, my GOD, not to mention how agonizingly slow the pods would move and especially turn later in the movie), I dunno, I feel like a lot of its strength when it first came out was in its uniqueness - uniqueness in lack of overall dialog (something like the first 20 minutes and last 40 minutes of the movie has none); for the time, really impressive sfx, that held people's attention longer for the sheer eye candy factor (whereas my jaded eyes caused me to just shrug it off as "pretty good for its time" and got bored mighty quick :loco: ); and the whole psychedelic "Doors" music video end sequence with all the different filters and such, talk about dating it STRAIGHT to the 60s :lol:

Yeah, overall IMO, it had its strengths, but the above complaints plus the abstractness (let's not even start on the ending :rolleyes: ) just pisses me off too much ("open to interpretation" = utter cop-out birthed from inability to actually make an effective resolution IMO), so I gotta say 7/10

Ever see 2010, though? Amazing how different it is from 2001, even though it's a direct sequel; they got all the details of the story and set design really really accurate for it (considering it came out in the early 80s), but there's tons of dialog, and tons of explanation for all the unexplained gobbledygook of the first, which prompted Roger Ebert to call it something to the effect of "incredibly 80s", but hell, I like it that way :D If you have Netflix, you can watch it instantly (AKA stream it, I've been doing it on my PS3 recently, it's fucking awesome :headbang: )

Jeff

I was gonna say this.
That's like saying remove Tom Cruise and Scientology is all of a sudden acceptable.