Pseudo Intellectuals and Opeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
imo windowpane has the coolest bass line in all of opeth's music...and one of the grooviest i have ever heard in all of music.

tool is very beat-oriented imo

I guess I can call myself an intellectual and I regret to admit that unlike myself, typical arty people would not be into bands like Opeth. Many people cannot get past the death vocals and the double kicks or the heavy riffs. I am actually a great fan of Opeth, and will continue to be so as long as they keep producing original quality music. I have attempted to introduce some of my friends to Opeth but alas, my endeavour failed. I guess people are comfortable with pop music, hip-hop or R&B because it's easy music. Opeth, or metal in general for that matter, is not easy listening. I think it takes a keen ear to appreciate the beauty and genuinity of Opeth's music. I'm glad I've discovered Opeth and to people who refuse to give them a try, it's their loss. :Smug:

I don't know. They admitted to the bias of their personal preferences (i.e., disliking guitar-based music), at least. Isn't that open-minded, as opposed to the typical jackasses who'd just tell you Opeth sucks without a reason?

Maybe they are against Guitar based music becuase of all the metal bands out there where the bassists are only familliar with the E string, and get buried in the mix. But it is of course a very bad generalisation

Tool is drum based and UFO based music. The guitar lines are quite easy, but catch the ear very well. Thats why I listen to them. Tool Owns but Opeth Is my favorite of all time. Tell your friends to grow some balls and listen to Opeth! (Thumbs up to cityofthemoon666)

Ok, I have come to the conclusion (both my own experience and yours, obviously) that Tool fans are even worse than us Opeth fans. I'm talking about that whole "my music is soooo much more betterer than yours cuz they got dat uber talent thingy" thingy.

Hell, I was flipping through the Dimmu Borgir "Death Cult Armageddon" booklet one day to pass the time in my chemistry class, and I got to the last song in it. The person next to me (avid Tool fan) spots the word "opiate" immediately and goes on and on about how Tool made the word up, Dimmu must listen to alot of Tool, Tool is so great, Tool is so damn talented... at this point I just tuned out. This little ordeal made me not want to ever start listening to Tool... stupid fans....

Man, make your friends listen to the song Deliverance ALL of the way through, and make sure they don't leave before they hear the bass and drum dominated part. If anything will sell them, this will.

Lol, I can assure you the word Opiate has been around long before Tool. It is the worst album tool has, Opeth is alot better in my opinion seeing as they are my favorite band. I would rather them listen to Blackwater park or Morningrise If you want bass. But for drums just pop in any cd with martin Lopez on it and you will be fine. He is a mad man.

yeh cheers for all yoru opinons and shit, i know i cant change them thats nnot what pissed me off, liek i have one friend who is a avid tool, APC fan and likes alot of different stuff and he was willing to give it a while he borrowed my lamentations for about 3 weeks
now hes hooked, i think hes gonan buy a couple of albusm this week, i gave him bwp and deliverance to listen to, loves it, so i think its mainly the fucking guitar which seems pretty odd to me, but yeh, the sodomy sounds good lol

nah they're nice people but just hypocrits

Many people who claim to be all about Art forget to be open minded. Art is all about having an open mind and experiencing new things and expression of ones self. Most psuedo-artists can not be changed so don't waste your time. I personally would rather be a fan with fans of a band that appreciate and weren't forced to enjoy.

Funny, Tool writes all their stuff off of chord changes that can be applied to bass, piano, and easily to guitar. Funny how stupid some really are!

Two of my bandmates really hate Opeth, they just don't want to even try to listen for a second. Sometimes I just want to kick their ballz for that.

RavenousDaemon said:
Ok, I have come to the conclusion (both my own experience and yours, obviously) that Tool fans are even worse than us Opeth fans. I'm talking about that whole "my music is soooo much more betterer than yours cuz they got dat uber talent thingy" thingy.

Hell, I was flipping through the Dimmu Borgir "Death Cult Armageddon" booklet one day to pass the time in my chemistry class, and I got to the last song in it. The person next to me (avid Tool fan) spots the word "opiate" immediately and goes on and on about how Tool made the word up, Dimmu must listen to alot of Tool, Tool is so great, Tool is so damn talented... at this point I just tuned out. This little ordeal made me not want to ever start listening to Tool... stupid fans....

Man, make your friends listen to the song Deliverance ALL of the way through, and make sure they don't leave before they hear the bass and drum dominated part. If anything will sell them, this will.
opiate - 1543 (adj.) "made with or containing opium," from M.L. opiatus, from L. opium (see opium). The noun is attested from 1603; fig. sense of "anything that dulls the feelings" is from 1641.

I would have thought Tool fans would be into Opeth's music, I'm not sure why as they're both very different. I guess it's the progressive nature both bands adopt. (And tool fans can cope with long songs)

I hate the majority of all Tool fans. They obsess over that band and marijuana/shrooms/etc so rediculously too much. They think no one understands Tool or other "real music" like A Perfect Circle unless they're fucked up listening to it. It's not even the drugs either, it's their ignorant, conceited, amature attitudes towards the music. They act like they know it all.."Oh, you don't know anything about anything if you haven't heard this section of this Tool song" or.."Danny Carey is better than every death metal drummer, he is the best drummer alive, but I'll be damned if I know what a time signature is." They make pathetic shrines, researches and stupid little groups with other druggie/goth/mall topic fags to act as if everyone else is beneath their feet. All their fans act nearly the same, and I've known quite a few in my lifetime.
A couple years ago...one of my friends was an obsessive Tool fan, they were his favorite band by far. I got him onto better music by introducing him to Opeth and Dream Theater. While he still likes Tool till' this day, he likes Opeth better. :p
I fucking hate elitist Tool fans, I hope they die...and Tool is overrated.

Akerfeldt > Keenan

Status
Not open for further replies.