Pseudo Intellectuals and Opeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing, that is common for TOOL and Opeth is that they are both progressive, in the other aspects they are totally diferent, but this has been written before...

Mikael is single handedly a better musician/songwriter than everyone in Tool combined. It's not even close really.
Oh, my, fucking, god. ;)

By the way, did you know that Mike once said that if Opeth was to be covered, it should be done by Tool? :D

JUST SO YOU KNOW I LOVE TOOL AND OPETH EQUALLY. AND THEN I WILL BE DONE WITH EVER POSTING ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT TOOL -VS- OPETH AGAIN.

Few people out there have ever met members of TOOL, or members of Opeth. I have met both. If you ever sat down with Danny Carey (I was lucky enough to hang out with him for about an hour while he was on tour with Pigmy Love Circus), you would find that he is just a normal guy who has amazing talent. He loves basketball, passionate about his beliefs, wants to share his insight on drums and percussion, and wants to keep his private life private.

I shot the shit with for about 20 minutes with Mendez and Axe at a bar in Fort Lauderdale before the gig at the Culture Room in November. (I can't remember the name of the bar, but it was all decked out in fishing gear, nets, buoys, lures, etc. It was really cool.) Again, two really normal laid back guys who have incredible talent and are passionate of what they love to do.

These guys don't sit around and bitch about what band is better, what philosophy is better, who writes better music, just like I don't. They are equals when it comes to songwriting ability, musical ability, and performance, but they are in seperate genres people. HELLO!

I know everybody is entiled to their own opinion, but what really what bugs me it is the ignorant fans of BOTH groups try and justify who is better. The correct and most honest answer is neither.

Here are the real differences between both bands:

TOOL has sold millions of albums.
Opeth has sold (hundreds of) thousands of albums.

TOOL have played before millions of people.
Opeth have played before (hundreds of) thousands of people.

The next TOOL album that will be released will sell more albums in one single day than Ghost Reveries has sold since it's release date.

TOOL are playing the Roskilde festival.
Opeth are playing at the Roskilde festival.
Kanye West is playing the Roskilde festival.

Some TOOL fans are assholes.
Some Opeth fans are assholes.
Kanye West is an asshole. (But he is a musical genius, and I respect his talent and message.) This is supposed to be funny.

They both have been nominated for grammy rewards in their respective countries.

What does this really mean in the grand scheme of things? The members of TOOL have larger bank accounts than the members of Opeth. That is it. And that means nothing in this life unless you want it to mean something.

(Some of you will say that TOOL is a huge sellout, but I have never heard the 3:30 second three cord rock anthem they play at sporting events and as background music in commercials. That is my definition of a sellout. (Well I guess Led Zeppelin is a sellout if you think about there alliance with Cadillac, LOL))

Both bands do something like no other bands do on the face of this planet; they connect with their fans on a level that is so far and above anyone else that is out there. (Just imagine if you felt this way listening to Fall Out Boy,Yellowcard or Hawthorne Heights!!! YIKES!) The only fans that even come close to being as passionate as TOOL or Opeth fans are MUDVAYNE fans.

But I respect both bands for who they are, and what they do, and how much they both love playing their music, and sharing it with us!

Like I said before, can't we all just get along?

Leon Mix

An Opeth Fan
A TOOL Fan
A Fan of Music

:headbang:

ethereallights said:
Also do not try to force music down the throats of psuedo-intellects and psuedo-artists. They cry everytime something new happens. Also Tool fans obsess with Tool, and Opeth fans obsess with Opeth. That is probably why you can not have a die hard Tool fan and a die hard Opeth fan as one person.

I've loved Tool for longer than Opeth. I didn't like Opeth's sound much at all when I first heard them. The leads were too burried in the mix a lot of the time, and the dissonant stuff just didn't do it for me, along with the death vocals.

Needless to say, Opeth are now one of my very favourite bands, and I still love Tool. If people arn't into Death Metal, Opeth can be really hard to get into at first. I started on softer stuff and worked my way heavier; now I enjoy most of their music, the growls are awesome in places, and I can enjoy them more in general now. Mikael's clean voice and the acoustics is what had me sold on them though.

Anyway, they're both amazing bands, and i'd love to see them tour together, what with having a link with both being amazing 90's progressive bands.

I rekon Tool covering Opeth would be really interesting. Something like Bleak or Deliverance might work. Maynard would probably fuck his throat up on the screaming though (Tool fans should know what I'm talking about).

Mixgrafix, I salute you, you make good points. I only really dispute you on a couple of minor things:

1. The new Tool probably won't sell more in one day than GR has since its release date. That might take, you know... 3 days :lol:

2. Whatever you think of his music, Kanye West isn't an asshole. He does a lot to try and help people and promote unity (unlike most of the 'gangsta' rappers). Any rapper who's brave enough to say that homophobia is wrong (which is a BIG no-no in that community), must be fundamentally an ok guy.

3. Do you think Maynard could hande the growls on Deliverance?

Still, good message :)

YO! Liquid Diamonds. I was just kidding about Kayne West being an asshole. (Sometimes satire does not come through on here too well..LOL) He is an incredible talent, and does promote unity in the world. I would hope that he bust out on stage with Opeth, and they do a duet of "Jesus Walks" together. That would get some major attention just like Linkin Park and Jay-Z did.

I dont think Maynard could do the growls on "Deliverance" the way Mikael does, but could do them in a Maynard kind of way. (The same reason TOOL did not play "Ticks and Leeches" live until the last night of the last tour in Long Beach in 2002. Because it shredded his vocal cords.)

When covering a song it is all about interpretaion. Think about Tori Amos when she covered Slayer's "Reign In Blood". That is one of the most beautifully haunting covers ever. I about crapped my drawers when TOOL opened with the a Ramones cover in Lansing, Michigan at the Bresiln Center. Everyone plays covers at sometime in the music biz. That is the reality of reality.

And to -Vintersorg-, I bet if we met we could get along just fine even that I like TOOL. We could kick back, drink a couple of VB's, browse the Shelias, smoke some killer Palauan Bud, and enjoy some killer tunes at the Big Day Out.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Mixgrafix, I salute you, you make good points. I only really dispute you on a couple of minor things:

1. The new Tool probably won't sell more in one day than GR has since its release date. That might take, you know... 3 days :lol:

2. Whatever you think of his music, Kanye West isn't an asshole. He does a lot to try and help people and promote unity (unlike most of the 'gangsta' rappers). Any rapper who's brave enough to say that homophobia is wrong (which is a BIG no-no in that community), must be fundamentally an ok guy.

3. Do you think Maynard could hande the growls on Deliverance?

Still, good message :)

1. No, no it will only take one day.
2. LOL
3. Maynard doesn't growl. What does that have to do with anything.

blimey said:
1. No, no it will only take one day.
2. LOL
3. Maynard doesn't growl. What does that have to do with anything.

1. I think you underestimate how many records Ghost Reveries has sold. It's quite likely that it's already sold as much as the rest of Opeth's back catalogue put together. I'm just saying that people shouldn't underestimate Opeth's new status. Also, outside the continent of North America, Tools first week sales probably won't be overly astonishing.

2. Why the LOL? I made a fair point, I'm not really sure why it's funny.

3. Read all of the previous posts before you try and correct me mate, my comment made perfect sense in the context of the conversation that was being had :)

Liquid Diamonds said:
1. I think you underestimate how many records Ghost Reveries has sold. It's quite likely that it's already sold as much as the rest of Opeth's back catalogue put together. I'm just saying that people shouldn't underestimate Opeth's new status. Also, outside the continent of North America, Tools first week sales probably won't be overly astonishing.

2. Why the LOL? I made a fair point, I'm not really sure why it's funny.

3. Read all of the previous posts before you try and correct me mate, my comment made perfect sense in the context of the conversation that was being had :)
I said LOL because it was funny. Kanye West is a dumbass who says "BUSH HATES BLACK PEOPLE" on national television. Smart guy. Nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.