QUESTIONS FOR *Matt*

Hey Matt
You are the best freakin vocalist in the universe!!!
Did you take any professional lessons or have you underwent any kind of professional vocal training? I find your voice to be top-notch.

Do you play any instruments?? or have u played other instruments??

How is it financially to be in a band?? is it possible to make a living as a non-commercial or non-sellout band considering all the complications with illegal downloads and piracy? Is it possible to be a relatively recognized band without having another back up job?

Thanks,
Rafael

First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first read that you had returned to metal, the first reaction, was PRAISE THE LORD!!!
I don't really have a question, so I'm just making one up... so, what's your favorite kind of donut?
Forever - thank you.

/Uutela :worship:
ANYTHING GOOD ENOUGH FOR HOMER SIMPSON IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

Another question. Have you ever pulled over an Iced Earth fan who recognized you? And if so, did you put 'em in the slammer? That would be sweet, if I was a criminal, which I'm not.
I'M SURE THAT, LIKE YOU, THERE ARE NO PYRAMAZE OR ICED EARTH FANS THAT ARE CRIMINALS.

Matt,

Besides yourself, of course :) Who do you consider to be or have the best voice in metal today?

Who do you consider to be the best ever front man, regardless of voice?

And what do you listen to when you have the time?

Grinder
I'M STILL A BIG FAN OF BRUCE AND RONNIE JAMES...THESE ARE GUYS THAT STILL HAVE EARNED ALOT OF RESPECT FROM ALOT OF PEOPLE, AND RIGHTFULLY SO.

Matt,

Many thanks again for taking the time to answer all these questions.

When you went to record AIA...when it was over did you and the band have the sense that...well...those were some very special shows and the cd from this is going to be incredible...or something like that? Many many reviews over the years have called that one of the greatest, if not the greatest, metal live album ever made (and rightfully so). So after the last show did you guys just look at each other with a big grin on your face and go....Holy Shit! Or did it feel like just another show?

Grinder

hmmm, isn't being a musician a noble profession too? Just asking, because music is the most important thing in my life...I'm actually planning to become a musician myself...
I think you helped many people through your music...at least it helped me through hard times...
SOMETHING IS ONLY A "PROFESSION" IF YOU CAN MAKE A LIVING FROM IT...IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW NOBLE IT IS AND IF EFFECTS PEOPLE IN A POSITIVE WAY. IF YOU CANNOT TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YOU'RE FAMILY FIRST, YOU CANNOT HELP OTHERS. I CAN ONLY HOPE THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE PEOPLE WITH THE POSITIVE ENERGY THAT YOU HAVE PROCLAIMED TO HAVE EXPERIENCED NOW THAT I AM ABLE TO PROVIDE ADEQUATELY FOR MY FAMILY.

Hi Matt,
would you ever accept to sing on a song as a guest musician for a thrash metal band? i know seems kinda "babysh" as a question but it's not ^^

what do you think of Annihilator and Anthrax bands?

(you fucking rock man!)
I DID THRASHY STUFF BEFORE...I STILL DIG IT MAN. FORBIDDEN SPINS ALOT IN MY DISC PLAYER.

Hello Matt,

thank you so much for answering all these questions. Cannot wait to listen to your and Pyramaze new stuff. We hope there will be some concerts in Germany,too...maybe next year...?

Thanks for being so patient for all those curios fans.

See...and listen to you!

best wishes,

kati&rico

Hey man i was ur fan since ever i mean u have most Goddish voice i have ever heard and listen anywayz...
1st : what do you say in Dante's Inferno ??? In live in athens DVD I JUST BOUGHT IT devils name????
couse i searched it and they wrote nothin on the album

2nd :Would you plz see this 2 the end and ask me what do you think of it ?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zF4QsKkX6k

tons of questions to be asked ,but am gonna break em and Hail to you and rock on cheeeeeeeeeeerz
thanks
I'M NOT SURE WHAT THE FIRST QUESTION IS...SORRY. I DID CHECK OUT THE CLIP...WHERE ARE THE VOCALS, DUDE? WATCH YOUR TIMING A LITTLE. USE A CLICK WHEN POSSIBLE. MOST IMPORTANTLY, THOUGH, KEEP ON ROCKIN' BROTHER!

Hey Matt.

So, will there be any IE songs when you'll go play live with Pyramaze? I'd love to see you sing Melancholy, Dracula or something else. I'm going to see IE this year, and while I do like Ripper as much as the next guy, I know I'm going to chuckle over the fact that it isn't you who's singing "Dracula".
PYRAMAZE CERTAINLY HAS ENOUGH METAL TO FILL UP A SET! HOPEFULLY WE WILL CREATE EVEN MORE MEMORABLE TUNES FOR FOLKS TO WAIL TO!

SOMETHING IS ONLY A "PROFESSION" IF YOU CAN MAKE A LIVING FROM IT...IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW NOBLE IT IS AND IF EFFECTS PEOPLE IN A POSITIVE WAY. IF YOU CANNOT TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YOU'RE FAMILY FIRST, YOU CANNOT HELP OTHERS. I CAN ONLY HOPE THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE PEOPLE WITH THE POSITIVE ENERGY THAT YOU HAVE PROCLAIMED TO HAVE EXPERIENCED NOW THAT I AM ABLE TO PROVIDE ADEQUATELY FOR MY FAMILY.

Well, I don't have a family to take care of, yet, so I don't think that will be a problem for me, ;) but I'm happy you finally can both take care of your family, help people through your profession, and make great music!:D

Hiya Matt,

Definitely glad that you've made it back on the scene. I enjoyed Pyramaze quite a lot after being introduced to them at last year's Progpower. Lance seemed to be a very cool guy and can certainly wail with the best of them. However, now he's moved on and I can listen to him with his new band and you get the opportunity to "just sing dude!!"

It's a damn shame that sometimes all the cards don't fall into place properly whether it's marketing or timing or who knows what. Because I can say with a good bit of confidence that you should absolutely be able to support yourself and your family with your music. I have been to a fair number of concerts in my time and the time that I saw you guys (Iced Earth) play at the Penny Arcade in Rochester, NY with Jag Panzer and Quiet Room still ranks up there as one of the best times I've had. The music was excellent and the intensity and passion blew my mind. And this was a show where you were sick so you had to skip a few of the "screamers". Sadly I never got to see the trilogy performed live.

Anyway......no real questions here......just glad that you're able to get back to doing something you love......which lets me get back to something I love (listening).

Rock on brother :headbang:

What was your favorite IE song to perform live? I'm sorry if this question has been asked already. Rock on brother!

Hey, MATT!
I'm such a HUGE fan of your vocals!!! I mean, it's inspired me to do singing with my own band...

I'll try not to ask questions that have been asked before, and I do, I'm sorry in advance.

Ok, here are my questions... Sorry if they're too personal...

1. What was it like working with Jon Schaffer? [I ask only because I see myself a little similar to him... As I like having complete control over my music, and I write ALL The instrument parts and ALL The lyrical parts.]

2. What was your favorite memory with Iced Earth?

3. What was your favorite memory as being a cop?

4. I realized you got a lot of backlash from certain fans... Although, I've always believed in you, and felt that, you were even GREATER to leave something like Iced Earth behind, to pursue something you've had your heart set on for a long time..

The question being... Did some of the fans' backlash hurt you emotionally in any kind of way? Like how they could be so two-faced as to love you one minute, and to dislike you the next, for pursuing something that was near and dear to your heart?

5. What was the deciding factor, in making the choice to join Pyramaze?

6. Haha, I realize this might be an odd question, however... What was it like cutting all of your hair off? Was it a hard decision to make, or was it just something that you knew should, or had to be done?

7. If Jon Schaffer was interested in doing some work with you, would you ever consider working with him again?

These next three questions are about your voice:

8. How did you start to get into singing? Did you ever take lessons, or was it a natural talent?

9. How have you worked to make it even more amazing over the years?

10. What do you do to maintain it's unmistakable uniqueness, while making it better and better as the years pass, and have passed?

11. In your own words, and thoughts... What does musical success mean to you, and what does music as a whole, do for you?

12. What are your loves and hates about music in general, as well as the music industry?

13. How is working with Pyramaze different from working with Iced Earth? What are the pros and cons? I would never ask you to decide on who you like working with more, however I will ask, did you at least love working with both? Considering you stay true to who you are, I'm guessing that you'd HAVE to love people and what you're working with, in order to do it. But I'd love to hear your answer.

I'm so sorry that I asked so much... But you're DEFINITELY one of my musical idols, and I just needed to know. Thanks for your time, and thank you for your answers, in advance...

Have a great day, and life... And always stay true to yourself, like you've always have!

And please! If you ever want to talk to a huge fan, that will always lend an ear and listen, you can email me at Edazer1987@yahoo.com

Thank you very much...

Best wishes,
Edazer
Hey, MATT!
I'm such a HUGE fan of your vocals!!! I mean, it's inspired me to do singing with my own band...

I'll try not to ask questions that have been asked before, and I do, I'm sorry in advance.

Ok, here are my questions... Sorry if they're too personal...

1. What was it like working with Jon Schaffer? [I ask only because I see myself a little similar to him... As I like having complete control over my music, and I write ALL The instrument parts and ALL The lyrical parts.]

IF YOU WISH TO DO EVERYTHING YOURSELF, BE PREPARED FOR ALL OF THE CRITICISM AS WELL AS THE PRAISE. BEN PARKER SAID IT BEST..."WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY!"

2. What was your favorite memory with Iced Earth?

THE PEOPLE THAT I MET ON THE ROAD AND DOING THE RECORDS.

3. What was your favorite memory as being a cop?

THE PEOPLE THAT I WORK WITH.

4. I realized you got a lot of backlash from certain fans... Although, I've always believed in you, and felt that, you were even GREATER to leave something like Iced Earth behind, to pursue something you've had your heart set on for a long time..
The question being... Did some of the fans' backlash hurt you emotionally in any kind of way? Like how they could be so two-faced as to love you one minute, and to dislike you the next, for pursuing something that was near and dear to your heart?

WELL...I AM STILL HUMAN SO, IN SOME WAYS I FELT THAT SOME COMMENTS WERE A LITTLE PERSONAL. THEN AGAIN, I UNDERSTAND THAT ON SOME LEVELS PEOPLE GET ATTACHED TO CERTAIN THINGS AND DON'T LIKE CHANGE...THEY SOMETIMES TEND TO LASH OUT...I UNDERSTAND THAT.
SOME, HOWEVER, JUST DID NOT LIKE THE PROFESSION I CHOSE. THOSE PEOPLE CAN TAKE THEIR OPINIONS SOMEWHERE ELSE...CAUSE I DON'T REALLY CARE WHAT THAT THINK AFTER THAT.

5. What was the deciding factor, in making the choice to join Pyramaze?

I THINK THAT THE MUSIC SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. I REALLY LIKE THE COMPOSITION THAT MICHAEL HAS CREATED AND THE MUSICIANSHIP FROM EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THE PROJECT. THAT, AND THE FACT, THEY ARE WILLING TO WORK WITH ME IN REFERENCE TO MY CAREER.

6. Haha, I realize this might be an odd question, however... What was it like cutting all of your hair off? Was it a hard decision to make, or was it just something that you knew should, or had to be done?

WELL...I NEW THAT IT HAD TO BE DONE...IT WAS A BIT HARD BECAUSE I HAD GROWN RATHER ATTACHED TO IT...LITERALLY.

7. If Jon Schaffer was interested in doing some work with you, would you ever consider working with him again?

I THINK THAT JON AND I ARE COOL...I JUST DON'T KNOW THAT THAT WOULD BE AN OPTION.

These next three questions are about your voice:

8. How did you start to get into singing? Did you ever take lessons, or was it a natural talent?

I HAVE TAKEN LESSONS...I BELIEVE THAT ANYONE WHO SERIOUSLY PURSUES SINGING SHOULD DO SO.

9. How have you worked to make it even more amazing over the years?

I THINK THAT AS YOU ACTUALLY USE YOUR INSTRUMENT YOU LEARN WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN'T DO WITH IT. KNOWING YOU LIMITATIONS ALLOWS YOU TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES IN HOW YOU PRESENT MATERIAL.

10. What do you do to maintain it's unmistakable uniqueness, while making it better and better as the years pass, and have passed?

SEE ABOVE...

11. In your own words, and thoughts... What does musical success mean to you, and what does music as a whole, do for you?

IF YOU MEASURED YOUR MUSICAL SUCCESS ON HOW MUCH MONEY YOU MADE...THERE WOULD BE A LOT OF UNHAPPY MUSICIANS WALKIN' AROUND. JUST ENJOY MUSIC, FOR THE MUSIC...DON'T ALLOW YOURSELF TO HAVE VISIONS OF "AMERICAN IDOL" OR "ROCKSTAR-WHATEVER" DANCING THROUGH YOUR HEAD. IT JUST AIN'T THAT WAY.

12. What are your loves and hates about music in general, as well as the music industry?

SEE ABOVE...

13. How is working with Pyramaze different from working with Iced Earth? What are the pros and cons? I would never ask you to decide on who you like working with more, however I will ask, did you at least love working with both? Considering you stay true to who you are, I'm guessing that you'd HAVE to love people and what you're working with, in order to do it. But I'd love to hear your answer.

BEING IN ICED EARTH WAS GREAT...I HAVE A LOT OF GOOD MEMORIES. I HAVE NOT REALLY BEEN ABLE TO CREATE THAT KIND OF CONNECTION WITH THE PYRADUDES YET...MOSTLY BECAUSE OF DISTANCE! BUT I AM ANXIOUS TO START EXPANDING THIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BAND AND WITH IT'S LEAGUE OF METAL WARRIORS.

HEY MATTT BARLOW
Been a fan for ICED EARTH over the past 4 years and still I am ! actually m preparing an Iced Earth Tribute with my band PHOENIX , u probably gonna watch our sample vid on that youtube link ! M the guitarist of PHOENIX . Well the only thing missing in the band is a vocal!!! and that is the most important thing lol. Instrumentally the songs are done perfectly ! maybe we don't have a vocal yet coz even our original songs need a real strong voc with a great pitch damn your hight pitch dude ... so goodluck with pyramaze didn't really gave them an ear yet but sure i will after i finish my exams ... so if by chance u can add me on MSN so we can talk more and share ideas???? ....
under_lord666@hotmail.com
hany-elhassan@hotmail.com
TC mighty warrior ,....