RC Essential Album list (everyone should like, respond and stuff).

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
i'll spearhead this but it's zod's idea so he can like, change the rules if he wants. or anyone else for that matter.

i figure everyone come up with say 10 absolutely essential albums, and then after a week or two compile the results and/or vote and/or throw any sort of wrench into the system (fake accounts, triple voting, inviting other forums, and so on). how this is settled is up to whoever, i'm not a leader in this, i'm just that dude that says "we can vote for a third party candidate!" and then does nothing. :dopey:

oh, and don't anybody ask "is this just metal or does it include non-metal too?" because that's fucking stupid. MUSIC = MUSIC and that's it. :tickled:

EDIT: like, how should an essential album be decided? X amount of people agreeing? how many? 5/10/15/17... hahaha i think 17 should agree. :loco:

Would be great to have a classification system...black metal, doom metal, prog metal etc...

I also suggest that each suggestions must be validate by at least 5 other member in order to be part of the "essential" list. For exemple, say I'm a diehard fan of Dimmu Borgir but only 4 members support my choice, then that band won't be considered for the essential list.

black sabbath - paranoid
not my favorite and not the best (that's volume 4, duh :loco: ), but come on. electric funeral, hand of doom, faeries wear boots, etc. UN. FUCKING. RULY. and launched a zillion great bands into existence.

soundgarden - superunknown
i came up with a theory the other day that most doom bands owe as much to sabbath as they do soundgarden, although i'm sure i'm not the first. this album is absolutely perfect in every sort of way, and is pretty much required listening for EVERYONE in existence. i don't even care if you hated the whole seattle music or prefer j-pop to everything else, this album just plain transcends everything.

slayer - reign in blood
who doesn't love this? j. doesn't love this. everyone else does, even people that don't even like metal. :dopey:

zeppelin - zoso
another case of "not my favorite nor the best" but if somebody only wants/needs one zep, this is the one to get. battle of evermore, stairway to heaven, when the levee breaks, going to california, christ. that's some good shit.

faith no more - angel dust
amazing amazing album, one that never gets old or boring or stale or anything, i can toss this on and still get the same feeling i got when it first came out, if not more so. even though faith no more and patton did some amazing shit before and after, nothing came close to this. still pushing boundaries 13 years later, and doesn't look like it'll let up anytime soon.

that's enough for now.

Rensei said:
Would be great to have a classification system...black metal, doom metal, prog metal etc...
please god NO. :tickled:
Rensei said:
I also suggest that each suggestions must be validate by at least 5 other member in order to be part of the "essential" list. For exemple, say I'm a diehard fan of Dimmu Borgir but only 4 members support my choice, then that band won't be considered for the essential list.
yep, i said this in the other thread but forgot to mention it here, whoops.

EDIT: like, how should an essential album be decided? X amount of people agreeing? how many? 5/10/15/17... hahaha i think 17 should agree. :loco:

5. 10+ is way too high IMO, it will take forever for a band to be approved.

the only thing is if 5 people say yes and 15 say THAT ALBUM BLOWS, then it's hardly essential.

that's up to the majority though, i'm not setting hard and fast rules here because i'm feeling a bit flaccid and slow today anyhow. *bang*

god damn nad said:
the only thing is if 5 people say yes and 15 say THAT ALBUM BLOWS, then it's hardly essential.

that's up to the majority though, i'm not setting hard and fast rules here because i'm feeling a bit flaccid and slow today anyhow. *bang*

You are right. humm...

I think as well that we should limit it to albums that are generally consdered "underground". I mean Zepplin albums and albums from Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Metallica, Sabbath etc. hardly need to be on an RC top album list that is to be used as a resource. I mean, EVERYONE knows about those albums right? So we should stick to top recommendations of lesser known or at the very least albums that are considered generally "underground".

Anyway, here goes a bunch:

Moonsorrow - both Voimasta Ja Kuniasta and Verisakeet
The Crown - Deathrace King
Opeth - Morningrise (gotta include my favorite album ever, even though I know they're becoming "borderline" underground).
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Dew Scented - Inwards (I don't care what anyone says, this album just SMOKES)
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings and Days of Purgatory
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Dawn - Slaughtersun
Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle and The Human Equation
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina, Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part I, Invictus

There's so many to consider it's a tough task!

Dark One said:
I think as well that we should limit it to albums that are generally consdered "underground". I mean Zepplin albums and albums from Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Metallica, Sabbath etc. hardly need to be on an RC top album list that is to be used as a resource. I mean, EVERYONE knows about those albums right? So we should stick to top recommendations of lesser known or at the very least albums that are considered generally "underground".
didn't even think of that, good idea.

obviously this is in the infancy stage still. :loco:

god damn nad said:
black sabbath - paranoid
not my favorite and not the best (that's volume 4, duh :loco: ), but come on. electric funeral, hand of doom, faeries wear boots, etc. UN. FUCKING. RULY. and launched a zillion great bands into existence.

soundgarden - superunknown
i came up with a theory the other day that most doom bands owe as much to sabbath as they do soundgarden, although i'm sure i'm not the first. this album is absolutely perfect in every sort of way, and is pretty much required listening for EVERYONE in existence. i don't even care if you hated the whole seattle music or prefer j-pop to everything else, this album just plain transcends everything.

slayer - reign in blood
who doesn't love this? j. doesn't love this. everyone else does, even people that don't even like metal. :dopey:

zeppelin - zoso
another case of "not my favorite nor the best" but if somebody only wants/needs one zep, this is the one to get. battle of evermore, stairway to heaven, when the levee breaks, going to california, christ. that's some good shit.

faith no more - angel dust
amazing amazing album, one that never gets old or boring or stale or anything, i can toss this on and still get the same feeling i got when it first came out, if not more so. even though faith no more and patton did some amazing shit before and after, nothing came close to this. still pushing boundaries 13 years later, and doesn't look like it'll let up anytime soon.

that's enough for now.

i have ALL those

Moonsorrow - both Voimasta Ja Kuniasta and Verisakeet
The Crown - Deathrace King
Opeth - Morningrise (gotta include my favorite album ever, even though I know they're becoming "borderline" underground).
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Dew Scented - Inwards (I don't care what anyone says, this album just SMOKES)
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings and Days of Purgatory
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Dawn - Slaughtersun
Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle and The Human Equation
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina, Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part I, Invictus

i DON'T HAVE ANY of those :loco:

Dunno about the rules and whatnot, but here are some of my suggestions, I doubt anyone else will really agree, but these records have had a strong personal influence on my musical tastes and still get played today...

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Tool - Lateralus
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood.Sugar.Sex.Magic
Motorhead - Bomber
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
Black Flag - Damaged
Anathema - Serenades
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Anthrax - Among The Living
S.O.D. - Speak English Or Die
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Guns And Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Napalm Death - Scum

I'll probably think of more later...

Dark One said:

Totally agree. The thing is, no matter what the suggestions are, some people will always disagree. Since there's no way we can measure "the majority", I still maintain that the 5 votes for a given album is the best solution yet.

^ good stuff! pretty much covers it all ... post boobs now :lol:

I would add ...

Possesed - Seven Churches
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
Exodus - Bonded by blood
Metallica - kill'em all

i'd like to drift off into hair metal ... but will spare everyone :loco:

This is not a list of my favorites. It's a list of the bands that I think embody what this forum is all about. To my mind, any list of RC essentials must include CDs by:

Agalloch
Amon Amarth
Bathory (they did win our RC tournament afterall)
Drudkh
Emperor
Empyrium
Enslaved (the debate over which disc should be interesting)
Finntroll
Graveland
Hammers of Misfortune
Isis
Moonsorrow
November's Doom (if for no other reason that the band joining in on the discussion of their review was the coolest RC thread ever)
Orphaned Land
Primordial

As for the final list...

Once decided, this list should be made a sticky and the thread should be closed, so that new people aren't overwhelmed by the thousands of posts that this thread would surely accumulate over time. I'd also suggest this list be limited to 20 to 25 CDs. Just my $0.02.

Zod