RC Essential Album list (everyone should like, respond and stuff).

dill_the_devil said:
Dunno about the rules and whatnot, but here are some of my suggestions, I doubt anyone else will really agree, but these records have had a strong personal influence on my musical tastes and still get played today...

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Tool - Lateralus
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood.Sugar.Sex.Magic
Motorhead - Bomber
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
Black Flag - Damaged
Anathema - Serenades
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Anthrax - Among The Living
S.O.D. - Speak English Or Die
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Guns And Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Napalm Death - Scum

I'll probably think of more later...
this is an awesome fucking list.

dill_the_devil said:
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood.Sugar.Sex.Magic
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
Black Flag - Damaged
Anathema - Serenades
Guns And Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Napalm Death - Scum
An awesome list for sure, but how often have we discussed these CDs?

Zod

Okay, divine Pink Floyd aside, here's my list:

Anathema - Alternative 4
Tiamat - Wildhoney
Morgion - Solinari
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Opeth - Morningrise
Mourning Beloveth - Dust
Saturnus - Paradise Belongs To You
Dornenreich - Her Von Welken Nächten
Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness

snow2fall said:
Okay, divine Pink Floyd aside, here's my list:

Anathema - Alternative 4
Tiamat - Wildhoney
Morgion - Solinari
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Opeth - Morningrise
Mourning Beloveth - Dust
Saturnus - Paradise Belongs To You
Dornenreich - Her Von Welken Nächten
Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness

i see a pattern of darkness here, which I am not liking :guh:

i can't take too much depressing music, i need rock out wit yo cock out.

which is why i'm putting on appetite for destruction right now. :kickass:

Rock out with my cock out is for when I'm:

1. Partying
2. Hanging out with friends
3. Playing some destructive game
4. In a good mood.

Since all of those are rare while I'm at school. I likes me the sad stuff, it matches my mood.

General Zod said:
This is not a list of my favorites. It's a list of the bands that I think embody what this forum is all about. To my mind, any list of RC essentials must include CDs by:

Agalloch
Amon Amarth
Bathory (they did win our RC tournament afterall)
Drudkh
Emperor
Empyrium
Enslaved (the debate over which disc should be interesting)
Finntroll
Graveland
Hammers of Misfortune
Isis
Moonsorrow
November's Doom (if for no other reason that the band joining in on the discussion of their review was the coolest RC thread ever)
Orphaned Land
Primordial

As for the final list...

Once decided, this list should be made a sticky and the thread should be closed, so that new people aren't overwhelmed by the thousands of posts that this thread would surely accumulate over time. I'd also suggest this list be limited to 20 to 25 CDs. Just my $0.02.

Zod

This is the right way to do it, otherwise this thread will blow up and most people will end up just skipping through the ad hoc entries.

Start with a FINITE list in a multi-selection poll, and have people 'vote' against the entries. If 5 or more people vote for the same artist(s), then you can keep those and eliminate the rest.

With the shortlisted artists, you can do a second round of voting for their corresponding albums. If a particular album gets 5 votes or more, you end up with a near-perfect, unanimous, RC recommendation list.

Zod's list is a good start (although Amon Amarth and Bathory are a little redundant at this point, IMO). I would also include:

Aeternus
Pagan Altar
Skyclad
Hypocrisy
Reverrend Bizarre

:Spin:

so wait .. when you guys are in a downer mood, you put on downer music? so you can get really miserable? ... seems self defeating

lurch70 said:
so wait .. when you guys are in a downer mood, you put on downer music? so you can get really miserable? ... seems self defeating
when i listen to downer music it actually brings me up. like life of agony - river runs red, that shit is so depressing it makes me realize my life isn't that bad.

now, it doesn't get me jumping yelling and chugging beer like NIGHT TRAIN (now playing) does, but still. it's worked for me in the past. i don't really believe in depression anymore though it seems. :dopey:

lurch70 said:

nah.... when i'm angry/want to kill something... I through on angry/murderous music and it soothes me.

When i'm depressed, I listen to depressing music and it cheers me up.

I guess it works more like overexposure drives me back to apathy. Sadly "happy" and "excited" don't happen much while I'm at school. It's hard to be cheerful when you basically live in solitary confinement for 42 weeks. Visiting hours are holiday weekends(easter is the only one left) and christmas break. (I get 2 weeks).

edit: I don't believe in letting depression cause you problems... but I definetly know it exists. I live it... I just ignore it.

I don't really find that music to be 'downer', rather 'emotional'.

Emotional music > By the numbers music

Although, "By the numbers" music is good for shagging, driving, partying, drinking, and putting on when in the shower.

Everyone needs guilty pleasure music. Those who say they don't are lying and pretending to be tr00. (They also think the outdoors > indoors, even though they spend 20 hours a day on the intraweb). :loco:

JayKeeley said:
Start with a FINITE list in a multi-selection poll, and have people 'vote' against the entries. If 5 or more people vote for the same artist(s), then you can keep those and eliminate the rest.
I can put that poll together, unless Nad's already started on it.

Zod

there's a lot of gay shit in this thread already and if i start a poll of essential albums it'll cause an uproar, so go for it. :loco:

Iconoclastic Tendencies said:
wait till I get home so I can contribute as well.
Not going to post the poll for a few hours, so feel free to put a list of suggestions together. That said, it's probably going to take a few polls to narrow it down, so if someone suggestions aren't in the first list, they'll go into subsequent polls.

Zod

Here's my list:
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease
Carcass - Heartwork
Xasthur - Telepathic With the Deceased
Worship - Last CD Before Doomsday
Deströyer 666 - Cold Steel... For an Iron Age
Shogun - Iconoclast
Boris - Amplifier Worship
Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve
Nokturnal Mortum - NeChrist
Amon Amarth - Once Sent from the Golden Hall
SunnO))) - 00 Void
Sleep - Jerusalem
Buried at Sea - Migration
Pg. 99 - Document #5
Pelican - Australasia
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Pantera - Cowboys from hell

**edit**

My list most likely doesn't tap into the interests of other fellow RCer's, but that's not really the point.