Re-opening the Nebula for cabs discussion

so

have we finally reached realistic cab simulation?

Ahem.

Yes.

:flex:

@AE, I just did a CurveEQ of the TEST 3. Flat line, no differences whatsoever. Frequencywise it is the same now.

Did you test the other two? I would like to know if it was the mic distancing that did it, or if possibly the other factors had something to do with it.

Also, how close was it? Can I see pictures?

Definitely, this upcoming week I'll be done with school and almost everyone else in the house my apartment is in has moved out, so all I'll need is a procedure of what has finally worked! :D

All I did was use Cab Session 2. For these, I added +20db of gain in the Sampler page. My microphone's preamp is up about 75-80%, and the power amp's not very loud at all. The microphone is an inch away from the tolex.

Wow, some very encouraging news here. What a great thing to wake up to. I'm capped at the moment so it may take the better part of a few hours to listen to all the sample clips, but if what everyone is saying is indeed true, great work AE.

A friend of mine let me borrow a 70s Marshall cab with V30s and a Marshall MG straight cab with two V30s and two Eminence Legend 125s. I'll be toying with these tomorrow :)

Fuck yeah, man. Thank you for taking the time to check out the results :)

Can someone link me to some cab mic techniques? Particularly the Fredman stuff. I'm interested in trying out, but I'm not that good at the whole thing. My tones suck and I need tutorials.

Also, I've currently got an MD421, two I5s, an E906, and a SPUTNIK. That's what I've got to work with. So, I ask you:

1) What mic(s) do I use first?
2) What mic positions should I do?

The i5s and MD421 would be a good starting point. The best way for you to begin would be to mic every speaker on the cab, one by one, with an i5 and discover which is the most pleasing sounding one. Once you find the best one (usually marked by the least obnoxious fizz), start sweeping the mic around and try a few different positions until you find the best one. A good starting point is directly where the dustcap meets the cone. Stick with one mic for the time being.

After you've had some solid results doing that, then it may be a good idea to move onto doing some fredman style ones with the two i5s, or one MD421 and one i5.

I've always stuck to:

1 on-axis
1 off-axis
1 off-axis but angled at the center

I really want to do two microphones to one mono Nebula program, but the problem is offset. If the offset is incorrect when you sample, your program will come out sounding weird.

So, I was thinking I should test the offset with one microphone, then plug in all the mics and record, and just move all the mics to match the first mic's peaks and make them all in phase as best I can.

Then I could mix it down to one mono track and use THAT in NAT to make the program.

Welcome back, my man!

Giancarlo, I'm kicking ass here, brother.

While I've got you here, let me ask you.. the gain setting on the sampler, does that increase the test tone volume, or does it increase the volume of the RECORDING of the test tone?